#MLBFrontOffice: What's next for the Cubs?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler and Baez have played one damn MLB season....Baez not even that. It took Theo 3 plus years to accumulate this amount of talent and I don't care what any of you say....there is no way he will trade any of them unless someone blows him away with an offer. What you bozos want him to do is exactly what nearly every previous Cub front office has done for the last 60 years of my life. Trade anyone with youth and upside for a veteran.....pitcher, catcher, outfielder...it doesn't matter. I've seen them all do it.....over & over again. Even Dallas Green did it....sending a promising OF named Joe Carter for Sutcliffe. Good trade most would say but fact of the matter is Carter eventually ended up in the WS and Sutcliffe did not. I really, really hope Theo is not as brain dead as you guys are thinking he is.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler and Baez have played one damn MLB season....Baez not even that. It took Theo 3 plus years to accumulate this amount of talent and I don't care what any of you say....there is no way he will trade any of them unless someone blows him away with an offer. What you bozos want him to do is exactly what nearly every previous Cub front office has done for the last 60 years of my life. Trade anyone with youth and upside for a veteran.....pitcher, catcher, outfielder...it doesn't matter. I've seen them all do it.....over & over again. Even Dallas Green did it....sending a promising OF named Joe Carter for Sutcliffe. Good trade most would say but fact of the matter is Carter eventually ended up in the WS and Sutcliffe did not. I really, really hope Theo is not as brain dead as you guys are thinking he is.

The counter to this argument is the overwhelming majority of prospects don't become what you think they will be. There's a wide range in what that means. However, as an example, let's first suggest that someone like Baez ends up with a major league career but isn't more than an average player because of whatever limitation. You're trading future promise for current talent. It's not a 100% accurate example but look at the Cashner for Rizzo trade. A lot of people did not like that because they saw Cashner's big arm and that potential. Even last year there were questions over it. However, today that trade looks like a massive win for the cubs.

The other aspect is a player not ever living up to talent which i don't think I really need to go into. Now do you trade these players for a 30 year old starter making $20 mil a year or whatever? I don't think so which is why I argued against the Hamels trade. However, would I trade let's say Baez for a soon to be 25 year old Julio Teheran? That's a different conversation because Teheran is every bit the prospect(and more proven) that those players are and he's not significantly older. And it's not just Teheran. There's guys like Salazar who are quite interesting players.

Ultimately, this isn't about hoarding the most talent. It's about building the best baseball team. So sure, you don't just give away young players but sometimes that's the move that wins you a title. And if the front office is as good as they seem, you are always building more talent.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The counter to this argument is the overwhelming majority of prospects don't become what you think they will be. There's a wide range in what that means. However, as an example, let's first suggest that someone like Baez ends up with a major league career but isn't more than an average player because of whatever limitation. You're trading future promise for current talent. It's not a 100% accurate example but look at the Cashner for Rizzo trade. A lot of people did not like that because they saw Cashner's big arm and that potential. Even last year there were questions over it. However, today that trade looks like a massive win for the cubs.

The other aspect is a player not ever living up to talent which i don't think I really need to go into. Now do you trade these players for a 30 year old starter making $20 mil a year or whatever? I don't think so which is why I argued against the Hamels trade. However, would I trade let's say Baez for a soon to be 25 year old Julio Teheran? That's a different conversation because Teheran is every bit the prospect(and more proven) that those players are and he's not significantly older. And it's not just Teheran. There's guys like Salazar who are quite interesting players.

Ultimately, this isn't about hoarding the most talent. It's about building the best baseball team. So sure, you don't just give away young players but sometimes that's the move that wins you a title. And if the front office is as good as they seem, you are always building more talent.

That's exactly what I'm talking about....Theo is not building just a team, he's building an organization. An organization that will not only be in contention now but will be for the foreseeable future. You don't trade off your young talent for high priced veterans that usually have fewer good years ahead than there are behind. But if you can get the same quality young kid that plays a position you are in need of....that's the deal you make.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Back to the topic at hand...I think the first move will actually not be part of the roster but be a re-up on Theo

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Back to the topic at hand...I think the first move will actually not be part of the roster but be a re-up on Theo

Maybe but that deal, while said to be coming, is also said to be complicated and will likely come with an ownership piece as he's going to want more than Andrew Friedman's $7 mil per. A deal like that could take some time and might not be ready anytime soon. My best guess is when it gets done, and it will, it will be somewhere around 5 years/$45 million with some sort of vesting ownership stake.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
What's Theo going to command? I assume he'll be the best paid Exec in baseball, no? What is top dollar for a Team President?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What's Theo going to command? I assume he'll be the best paid Exec in baseball, no? What is top dollar for a Team President?
If it were me, id offer him a 10 year deal

I think it important now to show the entire organization and future acquisitions that your committed to the organizational change it has endured under Epstein and that your committed to winning. ..

It time to stabilize this team...

Owner commits to President
President commits to GM
GM commits to Manager
Players commits to the team when its stable and run professionally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If it were me, id offer him a 10 year deal

I think it important now to show the entire organization and future acquisitions that your committed to the organizational change it has endured under Epstein and that your committed to winning. ..

It time to stabilize this team...

Owner commits to President
President commits to GM
GM commits to Manager
Players commits to the team when its stable and run professionally

I think when you give him some sort of vesting in ownership, as TC mentione above, that would show the commitment. No need for some 10 year contract.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think when you give him some sort of vesting in ownership, as TC mentione above, that would show the commitment. No need for some 10 year contract.
That true but it still a 5 yr deal

Think they should commit to years with the ownership

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Here are the terms of the deal:

22 years
$162,250,000.000
76.3% stake in ownership
Passed city ordinance to rename Sheffield "Theo Boulevard"
Free life time coffee at Starbucks on Addison
Statue on Clark Street
Life-sized replica of Clark the Bear

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Maybe but that deal, while said to be coming, is also said to be complicated and will likely come with an ownership piece as he's going to want more than Andrew Friedman's $7 mil per. A deal like that could take some time and might not be ready anytime soon. My best guess is when it gets done, and it will, it will be somewhere around 5 years/$45 million with some sort of vesting ownership stake.

I've never heard of a GM getting an ownership piece. Got any links to that concerning Theo with that or just a guess which is perfectly fine?