#MLBFrontOffice: What's next for the Cubs?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
How about that. I'd never do that for my GM. It makes it too messy for me on a firing which eventually we all face.

First though he isn't the GM, he's the President of Baseball Operations and when the renovations conclude will likely be President of the team period as Crane Kenney has said that he will walk away at the end of the process. Theo's boss in Boston, Larry Luchino had an ownership stake as well although he also held the title of CEO. When they parted ways with him they just shifted him over to the Pawtucket club.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
First though he isn't the GM, he's the President of Baseball Operations and when the renovations conclude will likely be President of the team period as Crane Kenney has said that he will walk away at the end of the process. Theo's boss in Boston, Larry Luchino had an ownership stake as well although he also held the title of CEO. When they parted ways with him they just shifted him over to the Pawtucket club.

I know his title is President of Baseball Operations but he's the GM in every sense. Not that Jed is a puppet. He's just the assistant really.

But I get it. Thanks. Again, something I never knew. :)

DanTown

Liked Posts:

I cannot imagine that the Cubs would ever have their baseball/business guy run the other side because it's simply too much work and to be honest, Theo doesn't have the experience/contacts to be good at that. I think Crane leaves at the end of the renovation AND after they've negotiated their new TV deal.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I cannot imagine that the Cubs would ever have their baseball/business guy run the other side because it's simply too much work and to be honest, Theo doesn't have the experience/contacts to be good at that. I think Crane leaves at the end of the renovation AND after they've negotiated their new TV deal.

As far as Kenney, yes I agree the TV deal will have to be done but it's likely to be done before the renovations are. I think everyone expects that to have pen to paper sometime in mid 2017. It's going to take a good couple of years to put together a team to run an operation similar to NESN, which is what I think this will ultimately be.