Bill Simmons' Noah Trade Proposal

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
i would agree there

are there any good centers in the draft?

No clue. There's probably a couple and we could always draft and stash like we did with Asik and Niko. It would be awesome if we could get the Kings pick this year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
What an excellent idea sir!
I mean I say that in jest - but let's look at the last couple draft picks: Butler can play the traditional 2 or 3. Niko can play the traditional 3 or 4. Portis can play the traditional 4 or (arguably) 5. Those three guys offer flexibility on the court and rotations. Hoiberg is supposed to be an offensive revelation for this team*, so let's stop talking about positions, and more about who matches up with who better, and which five guys can put the ball in the basket most often in a given time period. This whole page of posts about whether or not Portis can play center sounds like 1990s basketball talk. The game has evolved. You think Steve Kerr cares about this shit? Or Pop? Or Coach Bron? I don't.

* Offense still looks vanilla to me. They do that double and triple dribble pinch on the wing (which is pretty new to me seeing it on the wing), and I've seen them do the high double screen, but the other action seems stale - hence my Niko comments in the game thread. I'm thinking the whole offensive genius stuff will show up here and there, but you won't see much difference until the playoffs come.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
I mean I say that in jest - but let's look at the last couple draft picks: Butler can play the traditional 2 or 3. Niko can play the traditional 3 or 4. Portis can play the traditional 4 or (arguably) 5. Those three guys offer flexibility on the court and rotations. Hoiberg is supposed to be an offensive revelation for this team*, so let's stop talking about positions, and more about who matches up with who better, and which five guys can put the ball in the basket most often in a given time period. This whole page of posts about whether or not Portis can play center sounds like 1990s basketball talk. The game has evolved. You think Steve Kerr cares about this shit? Or Pop? Or Coach Bron? I don't.

* Offense still looks vanilla to me. They do that double and triple dribble pinch on the wing (which is pretty new to me seeing it on the wing), and I've seen them do the high double screen, but the other action seems stale - hence my Niko comments in the game thread. I'm thinking the whole offensive genius stuff will show up here and there, but you won't see much difference until the playoffs come.

Agreed. Do you think its because he's holding out, or just that they're still slow working that into their game? I really thought the offense would be drastically different, but so far it seems like maybe 25% of the sets are new Hoiberg stuff, then the rest goes back to iso, or just pick and roll. Kinda frustrating.

I also miss the interior offense. I think its hurting them alot that there so much less point in the paint.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Agreed. Do you think its because he's holding out, or just that they're still slow working that into their game? I really thought the offense would be drastically different, but so far it seems like maybe 25% of the sets are new Hoiberg stuff, then the rest goes back to iso, or just pick and roll. Kinda frustrating
I think it's a combination of both. Somebody much more versed on Iowa State could help us out - but I wonder how much he left out during the regular season compared to the NCAA Tourney games. Your 25% estimate is probably spot on because I know I'm being tougher on him then I probably should be. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea to hold some stuff back. I'm just anxious to see this team put up more points consistently.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
Why would you trade the veteran all-star that took a discount to play in Chicago?

Other than occasionally blocking shots when he's motivated, his defense kills us. I'd rather have Mirotic in there as a defensive liability instead.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
how about we just sign a new center? Horford and Whiteside will be available

Whiteside would be a pretty good fit i just wonder if we could snatch him from MIA. Horford seems possible

Add another big?????? We need skill in the backcourt. We need some guys who can shoot worth a shit. Adding another big guy isn't what they need.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Other than occasionally blocking shots when he's motivated, his defense kills us. I'd rather have Mirotic in there as a defensive liability instead.

Not to mention, being a "veteran all-star who took a discount" doesn't help us win now or in the future. He won't be an all-star this year and his defense is embarrassing. I'm close to saying it's the worst I've ever seen. He gets some blocks but he gives up soooooo many fucking points that don't show up in the box sheet. If we were a title contender I would say might as well keep him....but we're not a championship team and he's 34 years old who in all likelihood will opt out next year. I'll be pissed if we don't trade him now and lose him for nothing next year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Just because you have the ability to shoot 3s doesn't mean you have to play outside the paint all the time. The versatility is a huge plus though. There's not many talented centers at all these days. Most can barely shoot free throws. I'm not saying play Portis at the 5 and stand him out at the 3 pt line all game long........but he's a great mid-range shooter, he can shoot the 3, he can post a little bit, and he would be a major match up problem for the rest of the league.

I'm still not seeing any of your reasonings against Portis playing there.

I gave you the reason why, you just didn't like my reasoning :shrug:

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Portis is a pretty hard nosed player on both ends of the floor and I think he is mentally tough enough to handle the center spot and will get there physically to hold his own vs bigger centers.