Who is the greatest athlete of all time?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;DdUh4NhZ5Fk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUh4NhZ5Fk[/video]

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Babe Ruth stood out because he was one of the first players who figured out how to launch home runs. You obviously don't know shit about baseball, if you think Williams didn't stand out against his peers. He was the last player to hit over .400.

That is the fucking problem with you, PR. Now I do not know shit about baseball, huh? I said that he had a peer group which he certainly did. Perhaps you should research the era that Williams played and the exploits of guys like Mays, Musial, Mantle and a couple of others. That was his peer group. I did not say that any of those were better than him, nor even his equal. But he did not stand out from them by as much as Ruth stood out when compared with any other player in the game back in his era.

No player in any sport has stood out as the best by so much as Babe Ruth. Hell, he personally hit more home-runs in one year than the combined efforts of all the other players in the game. Williams was the greatest hitter that I have personally seen play but when asked to list the greatest hitters of all time, he himself said that RUth was the best hiiter of all time. And Williams was not a person who gave out trite accolades. On the contrary. He had a big time ego and spoke exactly what was on his mind which was why he hated sportswriters so much.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He doesn't want the Sox to sign Fowler and claims that Fowler isn't a CF. That's all you need to know.

And rude? One has to be oblivious to think that Williams didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Put it to you this way. DiMaggio had his 56 game streak the same year Williams hit .406. Oops.

What I said was that the Sox need a better player than Fowler. And, yeah, putting a guy in a position doesn't mean that the guy is very good at it. He is not as good as Eaton defensively and would actually weaken the team's outfield defensively. I think that Fowler is a pretty bad outfielder and has a weeny arm. He is not what they need in their line-up. I'd rather that they stick with Garcia who still is young and still has potential. They do need an impact bat in their line-up and Fowler adds nothing worthwhile offensively or defensively.

But then again, you jump around throwing your so-called "facts" all over the place trying to justify your petty beliefs. What in the hell does Fowler have to do with Williams or Ruth? The two arguments you wage are mutually exclusive and is interesting that you are completely wrong on both counts.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thorpe, Bo Jackson, Hershel Walker.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Dave Winfield. Those are probably the greatest in some order. All of them excelled at the highest level in multiple sports as a pro or when they were drafted into their sport they played in.

lol

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not that I think he is the all time best, but I expected a Tyson vote.

For a while he was tearing through people like paper.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Not that I think he is the all time best, but I expected a Tyson vote.

For a while he was tearing through people like paper.

He's not even top 5 boxers of all-time. How would he be greatest athlete of all-time?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's not even top 5 boxers of all-time. How would he be greatest athlete of all-time?
Tyson was nothing but a bully who fell once he ran into the right opponent. He shouldn't be anywhere in the conversation.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The guy Lesnar lost to in his junior year of NCAA wrestling was Stephen Neal, who ended up being an 8-year starter at RG for the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots. I'd say Neal's accomplishments are a bit more impressive than Lesnar's.

Hey, welcome back my man!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guy Lesnar lost to in his junior year of NCAA wrestling was Stephen Neal, who ended up being an 8-year starter at RG for the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots. I'd say Neal's accomplishments are a bit more impressive than Lesnar's.

Eh, its not really accomplishments. People destroy Bo Jackson in accomplishments, but Lesnar winning the MMA title while being a complete baby in the sport is pretty impressive. Ive seen a lot of athletes and he is up there based off of size, strength, and speed. His explosion is pretty intense. They are def. not many guys walking around 275-280 that can do what he can do.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess it depends how much merit you place in a fledgling MMA title. Everyone thought Ronda Rousey was unbeatable, then she got matched up against some girl who had actual boxing experience and got knocked out. Lesnar comes NOWHERE near Bo Jackson in accomplishments, either.

That wasn't my point. Greatest athletes aren't really accomplishments. I wouldn't put him in the category of greatest athlete, but you aren't going to see to many people like Brock Lesnar walking around with that size, speed, and agility. He is a freak.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
That wasn't my point. Greatest athletes aren't really accomplishments. I wouldn't put him in the category of greatest athlete, but you aren't going to see to many people like Brock Lesnar walking around with that size, speed, and agility. He is a freak.

[video=youtube_share;DdUh4NhZ5Fk]https://youtu.be/DdUh4NhZ5Fk[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube_share;DdUh4NhZ5Fk]https://youtu.be/DdUh4NhZ5Fk[/video]

Lol, Brock athletically trumps him. Brock came back from a disease that almost killed him. Mma isn't athletic prowess. It's technique and training. He was the better man over Brock that day. Still what Brock has done in his life is still quite remarkable for a corn fed white boy that worked on a farm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wilt Chamberlain has got to get mentioned also. IN college he was also a track star in I believe the high jump and I think the 440 race. Accomplished volleyball player and arguably the best basketball player of all time. Certainly in the top 2 or 3.

Edit:

I looked up Wilt just now. He won three high jump championships while at Kansas as well as competing in the 100Yard dash. He also threw the shot put 56 feet.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Wilt Chamberlain has got to get mentioned also. IN college he was also a track star in I believe the high jump and I think the 440 race. Accomplished volleyball player and arguably the best basketball player of all time. Certainly in the top 2 or 3.
Good call. Amazing athlete.

Garlic Fries

Liked Posts:
He's not a multi-sports guy but back in the day, Ken Griffey Jr. was a damn great athlete.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sam Snead was a helluva athlete. He played football, basketball, baseball and was a track star in high school. One things that made him so good was that he was double jointed and so had great flexibility. He could bend at the waist and without bending his knees could take a golf ball out of the bottom of the cup.