Who is the greatest athlete of all time?

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Who do you guys think is the greatest athlete ever? This is a difficult question to answer because I think everyone rates an individuals ability to excel in certain areas differently. Is endurance the most important component? Balls skills? The ability to skate or hit a ball or compete across multiple professional sports?

What say you? Who is the greatest athlete of all time and why do you feel that the traits that they utilize make them the best ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Dave Winfield. Those are probably the greatest in some order. All of them excelled at the highest level in multiple sports as a pro or when they were drafted into their sport they played in.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Deion Sanders is up there as well. Also, off the wall, I have always believed Shaq to be one. He was truly amazing for his size. I mean this guy is all of 7 foot plus and 350 plus pounds for most of his career and he could jump and run and moved like a ballerina out there. I would say if we are doing size to size he is one of them.

Oh another big guy, Wilt the Stilt. He was like an all world high jumper. Competed in track and was 7 plus feet tall. He was a freak.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brian Jordan would be another.

And honestly I would have Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon on that list too.

Then you got guys that just killed it in the olympics like triathalon folks and iron men, and swimmers, and skaters. But I'd prefer to keep it to guys that at least excelled in Football, Baseball, Basketball, or Hockey.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
What do you guys feel about mma fighters. They are well rounded speed endurance boxing multiple disciplines of martial arts plus the fact that it is them in the ring by themselves and the team dynamic doesn't effect them at all. A guy like GSP or Jon Jones or even Rhonda Rousey.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Brian Jordan would be another.

And honestly I would have Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon on that list too.

Then you got guys that just killed it in the olympics like triathalon folks and iron men, and swimmers, and skaters. But I'd prefer to keep it to guys that at least excelled in Football, Baseball, Basketball, or Hockey.

To go on that thought what about Caitlin Jenner she (of course I jest) won the decathlon and was one of the most dominant athletes of his generation

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Cassius Clay?

His momma named him Cassius, Ima call him Cassius

He was certainly one of the most dominant boxers ever...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reinhold Messner.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Donald Dinnie deserves a mention

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Donald Dinnie deserves a mention

Mother of God Crys, you really just pulled out a 1800's strong man. I could have a million guesses on what you would mention and I would have been wrong a million times. :yep:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Mother of God Crys, you really just pulled out a 1800's strong man. I could have a million guesses on what you would mention and I would have been wrong a million times. :yep:

Not just a strong man. He's better known for that, because he started the longest running strongman event. He missed the reformation of the Olympics by some 20 years, and probably could have medaled in every single event based on his competition history in those events.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Based on accomplishments, I think it would have to be Jim Thorpe. But it would have been awesome if Bo Jackson had a longer football career, as I think he would have gone down as an all-time great. Dave Winfield is a great mention, too, as he was drafted by teams from all 3 major sports. Too bad he only played baseball professionally, though.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
George Mitterwald

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams