Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Jerry loves rookie contracts .

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
not surprising

we only ever get b or lower level free agents and i can only recall one time we traded for established talent

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
not surprising

we only ever get b or lower level free agents and i can only recall one time we traded for established talent
Well, one year they got the A level, but he certainly didn't play like A level once he was here (Ben Wallace)

And as far as trades, I'm not sure GarPax have ever really acquired anyone worthy...

Bulls_vs_Celtics_trade_acquisitions.0.png

*Note this excludes all draft-day trades and sign and trade deals.
(Ignore the Celtics things, its just something I took from a blogabull post)

The best there are has beens Antonio Davis and Brad Miller and a surprising one year rental of John Salmons.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like how acquired Tim Thomas multiple times only to tell him to go away each time.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like how acquired Tim Thomas multiple times only to tell him to go away each time.
Because the Bulls have only used trades for salary cap relief. Both times they acquired Tim Thomas it was to get rid of someone who was a problem... In one case Eddy Curry, in another case Larry Hughes.

This regime has never made a trade that improves talent with players (they did trade rape the Knicks with Eddy Curry, but thats a different story), they only make trades when their current team is below expectations. You'll notice they didn't once make a trade from 2010-11 season until Rose was dead in 2013-14 and they decided to rid themselves of Deng after the team was nosediving.

In 2007-08 they dived and so they shook things up... the following season they went after cap relief deals, hence why Miller and Salmons were acquired.

So either GarPax truly overvalue their players, like many here have always maintained, or they have very poor relationships with other front offices in the league.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So either GarPax truly overvalue their players, like many here have always maintained, or they have very poor relationships with other front offices in the league.
I'm gonna go with both.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm gonna go with both.
Well the poor relationships could have them saying "I like our guys, we'll stick with that".

But we all know, you need to make trades in this league to improve your chances. The draft and free agency can only take you so far. Even the Spurs make trades.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The Bulls are very reluctant to trade picks or make a trade that isn't clearly an upgrade...and that's a good thing. Trades are pretty rare in the NBA. If you go down the list of teams, you don't find many who make a huge trade for a star quality starter. This team needs about two superstars to get to where they need to go. Not a solid role player for another solid role player. I would like to see some trades this year only to speed up the rebuilding and youth movement I believe needs to happen. Neither Noah, Gasol, or Gibson are part of this teams future or make us a championship team. It'd be nice if we can get something for them before they leave for nothing, or we do something foolish and re-sign them.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Bulls are very reluctant to trade picks or make a trade that isn't clearly an upgrade...and that's a good thing. Trades are pretty rare in the NBA. If you go down the list of teams, you don't find many who make a huge trade for a star quality starter. This team needs about two superstars to get to where they need to go. Not a solid role player for another solid role player. I would like to see some trades this year only to speed up the rebuilding and youth movement I believe needs to happen. Neither Noah, Gasol, or Gibson are part of this teams future or make us a championship team. It'd be nice if we can get something for them before they leave for nothing, or we do something foolish and re-sign them.
Celtics made two such All-Star starters trade in the 2007 offseason, won a championship in 2008 then. Granted, they had Paul Pierce already.

Lakers made a trade during the 07-08 season for Pau Gasol, they went to the championship, and then proceeded to win the next 2. And yes, granted they already had Kobe.

The Bulls would be in a better position if the things that happened to Rose never did, but that's what they have to work with. You either blow up the team, and build through top draft picks, or attempt to make trades to better the team.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Celtics made two such All-Star starters trade in the 2007 offseason, won a championship in 2008 then. Granted, they had Paul Pierce already.

Lakers made a trade during the 07-08 season for Pau Gasol, they went to the championship, and then proceeded to win the next 2. And yes, granted they already had Kobe.

The Bulls would be in a better position if the things that happened to Rose never did, but that's what they have to work with. You either blow up the team, and build through top draft picks, or attempt to make trades to better the team.

Right. Like I said, not many teams. You named two teams that were able to pull this off. One of which had Paul Pierce, the McHale connection with KG, and the ability to form a super team.

Rose's injury completely hampered this team. They really had very little choice but to wait for him to come back as he was their only star player. Jimmy has emerged as our best player but he's still only a 2nd tier star player, IMO. Like I said, I would love to see some trades this year. Start the youth movement. Cash out pieces who don't fit in your long term plans (Noah, Gasol, Gibson). The problem is, the only guys who really have value are Butler, Niko, and possibly Doug has some marginal trade value. You can't really trade Butler unless you get somebody better than him which isn't going to happen. I like Niko, but I think he's overrated by a lot of people and will disappoint everyone who has all-star/star caliber expectations for him. What will you get by trading him? Plus he's only making 5 million so it's not like he's hindering our cap. The only logical trade situation I see is the one I already mentioned. Trading guys like Noah, Gibson, and Gasol even if you don't get much for them. Just get something. They're not part of the future and this team clearly isn't going to win a championship this year.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Because the Bulls have only used trades for salary cap relief. Both times they acquired Tim Thomas it was to get rid of someone who was a problem... In one case Eddy Curry, in another case Larry Hughes.

This regime has never made a trade that improves talent with players (they did trade rape the Knicks with Eddy Curry, but thats a different story), they only make trades when their current team is below expectations. You'll notice they didn't once make a trade from 2010-11 season until Rose was dead in 2013-14 and they decided to rid themselves of Deng after the team was nosediving.
In 2007-08 they dived and so they shook things up... the following season they went after cap relief deals, hence why Miller and Salmons were acquired.

The rape would have been greater if they had kept lamarcus aldrige. Otherwise we got a bust and a guy who had a few good years in jo

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
thinking back its really a mystery why they traded for Tyrus

LMA had Bulls written all over him while Tyrus seemed anti-bull...athletic and a bit stupid

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
thinking back its really a mystery why they traded for Tyrus

LMA had Bulls written all over him while Tyrus seemed anti-bull...athletic and a bit stupid
They gambled for potential for once...and lost.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They gambled for potential for once...and lost.
Pretty much this. They thought LMA was pretty solid in what he would give, there was no mystery to him, but they saw a lot of upside of Tyrus and the potential for him to be something much much more.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty much this. They thought LMA was pretty solid in what he would give, there was no mystery to him, but they saw a lot of upside of Tyrus and the potential for him to be something much much more.
Too bad Tyrus was exactly Stromile Swift reborn.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:

ehh 6'9, skinny as a twig and a idea in his head that he was Tracy McGrady

i do think he could have been better than he was...maybe a better Taj Gibson (which is a pretty damn good player)

but thinking he was the next Dwight is kinda laughable in hindsight

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
ehh 6'9, skinny as a twig and a idea in his head that he was Tracy McGrady

i do think he could have been better than he was...maybe a better Taj Gibson (which is a pretty damn good player)

but thinking he was the next Dwight is kinda laughable in hindsight
I don't think he was projected to be Dwight, but maybe a guy like Shawn Marion if he developed his perimeter skills or even a PF version of Whiteside with some midrange game. Both of those are pretty good end results imo. Unfortunately, he was nowhere close to either.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
I thought Tyrus was supposed to be a bigger version of Shawn Marion.?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I remember Tyrus being compared to Amar'e Stoudemire around draft time. I'm not going to lie...I liked the pick at the time. We needed to get more athletic. We had a midget back court and had just signed Ben Wallace. I liked the idea of having Wallace and an athletic freak in Tyrus being another rim protector. I envisioned having a dominant defense being led by Wallace, Tyrus, Deng, and Kirk at the time. Unfortunately, Tyrus didn't take his job seriously and Wallace took a major step down. Although, we did get past the Heat that year in large part because of him. TT had a very good tournament leading up to the draft and we all know how much the organization looks at stuff like that. In the end, like clonetrooper said, they gambled for upside and lost. Every team misses and we hit way more often than not. We're still a top 3-5 organization when it comes to drafting.