3 NBA Coaches Who Have Never Gotten the Credit They Deserved

czman

Liked Posts:
Worst article ever. Tibs won coach of the year recently. McHale is not a top coach.

The coaches that should have been on the list are.

1 Larry Brown. If you take away the negative of team jumping he may be the best coach ever. Only coach to win college and pro Championship. One of the best maximizes of talent and teachers of the game. He'll never get the credit he deserves because he didn't stay anyone place for any real length of time.

2 Rick Carlisle Probably the second best coach in the NBA right now. He almost always gets left off the discussion for best coaches. He has been to the conference finals with all 3 of the NBA teams he has coached and he never once had the best team in the NBA, even though he has won a championship.

3 Don Nelson. He invented modern basketball 30 years ago and now everyone is doing what he was doing. It works better now with the rule changes.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
post what they said about thibs in this thread because i can't see it. they want me to sign up for a news letter

but i can't image how he didn't get his credit. it seems any time somebody gets a chance to gobble his dick they do so. just because Bulls decided to go in a different direction after 5 years (which is longer than the average coaching tenure) doesn't mean he is underappreciated in the grand scheme....teams will come a calling with big money next year

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Rick Carlisle for sure.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Worst article ever. Tibs won coach of the year recently. McHale is not a top coach.

The coaches that should have been on the list are.

1 Larry Brown. If you take away the negative of team jumping he may be the best coach ever. Only coach to win college and pro Championship. One of the best maximizes of talent and teachers of the game. He'll never get the credit he deserves because he didn't stay anyone place for any real length of time.

2 Rick Carlisle Probably the second best coach in the NBA right now. He almost always gets left off the discussion for best coaches. He has been to the conference finals with all 3 of the NBA teams he has coached and he never once had the best team in the NBA, even though he has won a championship.

3 Don Nelson. He invented modern basketball 30 years ago and now everyone is doing what he was doing. It works better now with the rule changes.

I think it was an article on more current coaches...not an all time snub list

czman

Liked Posts:
I think it was an article on more current coaches...not an all time snub list

Tibs is not in the league now and Rick Carlisle is. Larry Brown is at SMU. Don Nelson I can give you, he is probably coaching ever again. The other two deserve to be on the list over three.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Larry Brown's flaw as an NBA coach was that his players always had to adapt to his rigid style and system. Not really ever the other way around. He was perfect for young teams searching for discipline. In the case of the Pistons, that team was so balanced that it was almost tailor made for him.

czman

Liked Posts:
Larry Brown's flaw as an NBA coach was that his players always had to adapt to his rigid style and system. Not really ever the other way around. He was perfect for young teams searching for discipline. In the case of the Pistons, that team was so balanced that it was almost tailor made for him.

Larry Brown was known for not liking young players and favoring vets. It was the primary reason he left the Bobcats.

I think the best way to think about Larry Brown is Tibs on steroids. He is hard on his players, yelled a lot, had hard practices, and an excellent defensive mind. The main difference is Brown is a better offensive coach and teacher.

If I had to pick one coach for a 2 or 3 year window I don't think there is anyone else alive I would rather have. People forget that Pop learned under Brown and Pop also fought for Brown to keep his job in S.A. Pop is one of the Brown disciples and they have a lot of the same tendencies. Long term deal Pop is probably my first choice. Short term deal it is Brown.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Larry Brown was known for not liking young players and favoring vets. It was the primary reason he left the Bobcats.

I think the best way to think about Larry Brown is Tibs on steroids. He is hard on his players, yelled a lot, had hard practices, and an excellent defensive mind. The main difference is Brown is a better offensive coach and teacher.

If I had to pick one coach for a 2 or 3 year window I don't think there is anyone else alive I would rather have. People forget that Pop learned under Brown and Pop also fought for Brown to keep his job in S.A. Pop is one of the Brown disciples and they have a lot of the same tendencies. Long term deal Pop is probably my first choice. Short term deal it is Brown.

I definitely agree.

He was best suited for teams that were either very young or very balanced. Not necessarily a veteran team or a team loaded with stars.