Looking at Free Agency: The LB Class

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
I am intrigued to see how much they actually love McClellin.

He has been okay and Fangio has talked him up, but if they are staring at Trevathan in FA or Jack in the draft do they blink because of McClellin?

Travethon and Jack would be the beginning of a great LB core for the next 5 years. Jack is my favorite player in the draft. Any LB who is such a good athlete that he could also be a RB in the NFL is next level.

BearDovvn

Liked Posts:
And they're blown out on screen passes. Our lb's just sit and wait before getting annihilated by an o-lineman.

BearDovvn

Liked Posts:
I still want to see more of Jonathan Anderson. Makes two great plays in the 1st quarter then Jones gets the bulk of the snaps. Made no sense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We need to hope that Osweiler plays well into the season and the Broncos are forced to tag him.

It might be a long shot, but if he plays well and sees dollar signs, they may have to.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
I just re-watched some plays from the Green Bay game and I'd be surprised if Shea is on the roster next year. The guy is late to everything. He looks so slow reading the offensive play. His athletic ability shows up but he's constantly running from behind. Given how lost he and Jones are in coverage, both ILB spots will be a priority in the offseason.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There's no way the Broncos can sign all the guys they'll have as free agents. Granted, they'll potentially have 35-40Mil in cap room if/when Peyton retires at the end of the year. But at least 1/3 of that is going to Von. And they would need a QB. They could also save a bunch of money by cutting Clady (they did draft Sambrailo this year, but he's on IR now so they may not be sold on him).

Both the Broncos starting DEs, one OLB, one ILB, LG, starting RB, starting LG, and backup QB are UFAs. Not to mention, Brandon Marshall and CJ Anderson are RFAs. A lot of their depth on both lines are FAs also. I think they'll re-sign Von. Have to keep Osweiler. Spent all this time developing him, looks like he can play, so they'll have to pay him with Peyton retiring. They'll try to lock Marshall up now, and I think all of Wolfe, Jackson, and Trevathan will walk.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we need better play up front before we can really fairly evaluate what LBs we need. I think its fair to evaluate what our current LBs can do, which isn't a lot at this point.

I'd throw the boat at Malik Jackson while hoping we can land a 5 tech in RDs 2 or 3 of the draft to compete with Jenkins.

I think Trevathan is fantastic, but he has elite play up front with Sylvester Williams and Malik Jackson who allow him to play in space. Our current front doesn't allow our LBs to do this at this time.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to hope that Osweiler plays well into the season and the Broncos are forced to tag him.

It might be a long shot, but if he plays well and sees dollar signs, they may have to.

Very underrated point.

Regardless if they don't tag Oswiler/Miller...if they do manage to sign both- keeping both pretty much means Jackson will hit FA for sure.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still want to see more of Jonathan Anderson. Makes two great plays in the 1st quarter then Jones gets the bulk of the snaps. Made no sense.

Trainers were seen talking to Anderson after that 1st quarter- sounds as if he was hurt.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Von Miller probably won't hit FA unfortunately. After him, there isn't really a 3-4 OLB I really like. I think you add a guy like Nick Perry and look to the draft to add some talent. Maybe a guy like Shilique Calhoun.

Bears need an ILB and Danny Trevathan seems like a perfect fit. Sign him up.

My plan -
- Sign Danny Trevathan
- Sign Nick Perry
- Draft a pass rusher in the first two rounds - Shilique Calhoun or Carl Lawson

NE.Rugger

Liked Posts:
I am intrigued to see how much they actually love McClellin.

He has been okay and Fangio has talked him up, but if they are staring at Trevathan in FA or Jack in the draft do they blink because of McClellin?

Not a chance. McClellin could be adequate with a stud next to him. Making Trevathan our priority FA will get us that stud, but pairing him with Smith or Jack looks so much better moving forward. If they go a different direction in the draft it's because they like that player better. McClellin allows for flexibility and depth.

We started the season with a lot holes, but now we have a bit of stability in a lot of areas. Need to add the best playmakers available.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
After the McDonald debacle, I doubt Pace is eager to stick his toe back in the sociopath pool.

As far as debacles go, McDonald signing was incredibly minor. No one cared about that after the 1 week of radio talk it got.

Signing Aldon Smith would be great value.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Aldon Smith is suspended for 2016

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't need to fall into the trap of paying big money to free agents anymore. Those days should be over. Keep building through the draft.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't need to fall into the trap of paying big money to free agents anymore. Those days should be over. Keep building through the draft.

I think they will do a little of both. Their bread and butter is going to be building through the draft, but when you have cap space, you have to spend it. I see them being a lot more conscientious of the contracts they give out and to who they give out though. If Von Miller were to be available, I think they would go after him. They'll pay for legit franchise offensive and defensive players, but they won't overspend on middle to second tier guys

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Not a chance. McClellin could be adequate with a stud next to him. Making Trevathan our priority FA will get us that stud, but pairing him with Smith or Jack looks so much better moving forward. If they go a different direction in the draft it's because they like that player better. McClellin allows for flexibility and depth.

We started the season with a lot holes, but now we have a bit of stability in a lot of areas. Need to add the best playmakers available.
The question is, will McLovin ever read react to the offense before they're five yards down field? If Fangio thinks he'll get better, we'll resign him but imo, his instincts say no and we'll be starting two new ILBers next year.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth