The Interesting Case of Tracy Porter

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
He has played good and earned himself a few millions. Porter isnt gonna get a huge contract so there is no reason to panic.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Alonzo Spellman syndrome - predicate future performance on the guy's most recent couple of games. Tracy Porter has a full NFL resume. An eight year career spread over five teams, and a history of missing games for injury. Generally speaking, a one INT/yr guy. Signed by the Bears at the league minimum for one year, meaning no one else in the NFL thought a whole lot of his previous body of work. He'll be 30 next year, a point where even durable CBs start to break down (see Tillman...). And people think the Bears should be jumping to throw a multi-year, guaranteed, high-level contract at him? Seriously?

Look, I hope the Bears can work something out with Porter to keep him around for another year or two. But if another NFL team wants to throw a lot of guaranteed money at him, fine. Let him go and go find the next stopgap CB, while rebuilding the talent base through the draft. Rebuilding around 30yr old veterans with very average careers is silly. I doubt Pace would fall into that...

Well...he's been a good corner for most of his career the injury history and his age will keep him from getting huge money. But to just cast off what he's done here this season is foolish. He's playing at a very high level. If he continues to play at this level and stays healthy, he should get a decent 3 year deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
3 yrs / 15 mil / 8 gtd with games played and int incentives that could make him 20 mil with a more realistic 17-18 mil outcome if he plays out the 3 years.

That is actually a nice looking deal 3/15 with the possibility of 3/21.

150k a game roster bonus if active would get you close to the 21 million over the 3 years.

Porter has had some good stretches in his career. Sometime it is about scheme fit.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, he was great last night and very good the second half of this season thus far but pro bowl level? No. I'd keep him but not break the bank on him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears could re-sign Porter tomorrow if they wanted to.

I would wait till right after the season and you know he is healthy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Some Possible Contract Comps

Antonio Cromartie 4 years 32 million/7 guaranteed

Trumaine Williams 3 years 21 million/10 guaranteed

Cary Williams 3 years 18 million/7 guaranteed

Porter would seem to fit somewhere in that group. I would absolutely re-sign him and I am sure he is motivated to stay with Fangio and Donatel.

Yeah i'm sure he's also motivated to cash in on his success that he's having cause with as much as he's injured he needs to get all the money he can and the best/longest contract he can after this year. You're right though he's been huge for us so i hope they get him at a reasonable price.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I would sign him for 2-3 yrs but not at shut down corner money. No way. I think he deserves at least a million. So 2 year 3 million. Fair

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Resign him. He will be at worst average.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, something like a 2 yr/12 mil/6 mil gtd sounds best to me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
5-7 million a year seems right.

Guarantee 1.5 years worth of the deal, should keep the risk down.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Anyone remember how bad Tracy Porter was in the Bengals game? It's crazy how we all wanted him cut to this.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Anyone remember how bad Tracy Porter was in the Bengals game? It's crazy how we all wanted him cut to this.

various people on this site have virtually called for every player on the defense to be cut at some point.

these same various people are like "omg they played great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" after a win.

check in again the next time the Bears lose.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
5-7 million a year seems right.

Guarantee 1.5 years worth of the deal, should keep the risk down.

This would be perfect. Draft a CB in the first 3 rounds and we're in good shape. Have to shore up SS and upgrade the D-line. A pass rusher at OLB would be great, but with Houston and Young healthy, it's probably lower on the list of priorities. Especially with the need at DE.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't see us getting enough pressure on the QB with what we have now. We still need to add a pass rusher i think. The more pressure you get on the QB the better everyone behind the d-line will be.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I don't see us getting enough pressure on the QB with what we have now. We still need to add a pass rusher i think. The more pressure you get on the QB the better everyone behind the d-line will be.

That's true but I think we need more pass rush at 5t. An OLB would be great too, but I think Houston has about 5 sacks his last 4 games. Young is playing well too. We need help on the DL first, IMO.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I sign him to a two year contract with an option year. He is like you said having a terrific season and fits a vital cog with the Bear's defense. I still want them to draft a cover corner in the draft, though.

Don't you mean a man corner? This isn't Lovie Dovie's defense anymore.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Re-sign him and draft a corner fairly early to develop behind him and possibly step in if he gets hurt. He's clearly clicking with Fangio and this team.

Its crazy how much things can change over the course of a season, 3 games in and our corner situation looked absolutely hopeless. Fuller was playing awful, Porter wasn't even on the radar, and McMannis was brutally bad.

Now, Porter has come out of nowhere and is a borderline shut down corner, Fuller has been amongst the best all around corners in football over the last 8 games and Callahan is playing great football at the nickel spot. Along with Amos the secondary is suddenly a strength of the team.

Ball was also getting torched.