Looking at Free Agency: The OL Class

Bears27

Liked Posts:
You add mediocre talent to the OL, you get a mediocre OL. Have a mediocre OL, you get a mediocre offense. Have a mediocre offense, you likely get a mediocre team.

The best OLs in the NFL have invested a lot in the position. Cowboys have Smith, Frederick, and Martin all 1st round picks. La'el Collins is a 1st round talent. Browns have Thomas and Mack as 1st round picks, Bitonio and Schwartz as 2nd rounders. That's not to say you can't build a decent OL without a strong investment at the position (Carolina has), but it's a high attrition position and even when you think you have depth, you don't have enough.

And what offensive powerhouses the Cowboys & Browns have become...

Kidding aside, I'm with you on spending high draft picks to acquire elite OL talent that can serve as cornerstone pieces to a franchise. They did that with Kyle Long a few years ago and this past year with Grasu. Slauson was a great bargain free agent. Leno Jr., and Jordan Mills(few years back), were great late round finds that proved to be effective.

I'm just trying to illustrate there's better avenues to shore up the OL than just throwing a ton of money @ some high-profile FA lineman.

And when has that really worked out for the Bears, maybe Bushrod in '13 or John Tait back in '04; but did they truly live up to their respective contracts? Would the money have been better spent elsewhere? I'm not sure. However I do trust Pace and his coaching staff in assessing OL talent and more importantly putting the talent we have in a position to become successful.

What I think is more effective is having an OL that gels with each other. That understands their respective blocking roles/assignments and operates as an autonomous unit. And that can be achieved without having to break the bank and lock up valuable cap space.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OL is a weak link on this team. Aside fron Long and Slauson I don't see anyone on the OL that would consistently start on the majority of teams in the NFL.

I still think the scheme is protecting the OL and however good people think Leno looks pass blocking his run blocking is absolutely abysmal.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We don't need "depth" at the tackle position. We need "talent" at the tackle position. Leno is not quality. He, at best, is depth.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think o-line will be one of the big areas of focus for the Bears this off-season. Have to believe they'll go after one of the bigger names at guard or right tackle. I think Leno has looked solid, Grasu should be better in year two. I think ideally the bears sign a right tackle, move Long back to guard and draft a couple o-lineman. I do believe there are some solid building blocks here, though.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't see why the Bears should be spending big money on OL. Long, Slauson and Grasu I think will definitely be starting for this team next season. I may be alone on this one but I think Leno should be the starter next year as well. Forget that he was a 7th round pick, for a rookie LT in general, he has played very well. Has he made mistakes? Sure but he has been solid all year.

I think he has a lot of the traits you want in a LT especially as a pass blocker. Long arms, positions himself well and I think he has decent feet. His mistakes have been more mental and from a lack of experience at the NFL level. Those mistakes will decrease with time. I think he does lack a bit in the run blocking department but I think he can develop to be at least average. He could be an above average LT in this league.

The only real position I think is a need is RG. Brandon Brooks or Osemele look like the ideal fits coming from zone blocking schemes but they will cost some $. I would not at all be surprised or mad if the Bears sink money into either of those guys. The problem I have with that is the fact that typically, it is a lot easier to find productive zone blocking offensive line man for a lot less cash. This is due to the fact that the scheme itself does not really isolate guys into 1-on-1, head to head battles in the run game like a power scheme would. Instead you are really just looking for athletic line man who can move well laterally, make good decisions and communicate effectively.

I think you would be better off drafting a G or even two in the middle - late rounds of the draft (3-7), signing a lower tier guard and then getting veteran backups at LT and C.

My plan -
- Sign Chris Clark
- Sign Jeff Allen
- Draft a player like - Rees Odhiambo or Jordan Walsh

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I don't see why the Bears should be spending big money on OL. Long, Slauson and Grasu I think will definitely be starting for this team next season. I may be alone on this one but I think Leno should be the starter next year as well. Forget that he was a 7th round pick, for a rookie LT in general, he has played very well. Has he made mistakes? Sure but he has been solid all year.

I think he has a lot of the traits you want in a LT especially as a pass blocker. Long arms, positions himself well and I think he has decent feet. His mistakes have been more mental and from a lack of experience at the NFL level. Those mistakes will decrease with time. I think he does lack a bit in the run blocking department but I think he can develop to be at least average. He could be an above average LT in this league.

The only real position I think is a need is RG. Brandon Brooks or Osemele look like the ideal fits coming from zone blocking schemes but they will cost some $. I would not at all be surprised or mad if the Bears sink money into either of those guys. The problem I have with that is the fact that typically, it is a lot easier to find productive zone blocking offensive line man for a lot less cash. This is due to the fact that the scheme itself does not really isolate guys into 1-on-1, head to head battles in the run game like a power scheme would. Instead you are really just looking for athletic line man who can move well laterally, make good decisions and communicate effectively.

I think you would be better off drafting a G or even two in the middle - late rounds of the draft (3-7), signing a lower tier guard and then getting veteran backups at LT and C.

Well it all depends on what you do with Kyle Long. Personally, I think Long is a solid right tackle, but an elite right guard. Obviously tackle is more important then guard, but if you get yourself a stud right tackle, you strengthen two positions with one move. Draft competition for Leno and I think you're in pretty good shape going forward.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Well it all depends on what you do with Kyle Long. Personally, I think Long is a solid right tackle, but an elite right guard. Obviously tackle is more important then guard, but if you get yourself a stud right tackle, you strengthen two positions with one move. Draft competition for Leno and I think you're in pretty good shape going forward.

I agree with this and if the plan is to move Long back inside then I don't think my plan changes much except you draft a T in the mid rounds. When you consider how the Bears want to run the ball through a zone blocking scheme and the frequent use of screen passes, I don't think you need to invest a whole lot of cash into flashy names on the OL. Bring in some vets when needed, draft 1 or 2 guys on the line EVERY YEAR and develop chemistry. That may be the most important aspect of a great O-line.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I don't know that RT is that much more important than RG. LT is a different story.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed but only if you've got a guy out there than can defend the rush. I think RT is becoming more important to today's NFL with more 3-4/hybrid Ds and rush LBs than it had been in the past. Imagine Cutler's year with Long at RG and Ducasse at RT.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Where are we getting this stud LT?

Stanley and Tunsil will be long gone, Okung is injured a ton and is going to cost 60 million.

Stanley's stock is falling just a bit to the 10-14 range. If he's available, you absolutely have to take him. Rob Rang of CBS Sports' projects Stanley to fall to us at 14 (Link).

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Stanley's stock is falling just a bit to the 10-14 range. If he's available, you absolutely have to take him. Rob Rang of CBS Sports' projects Stanley to fall to us at 14 (Link).

He also has the same OT being drafted at #2 and #7. Fail.
Stanley is not dropping that far.

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:
It feels a bit weird to say it but I don't think it is impossible that this staff strikes gold again by continuing to aggressively sign and rotate through undrafted FA / FA.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The Bears are going to have to spend in free agency the question is where do they feel comfortable spending their money?

The offensive line development has been a pleasant surprise. People looking to be critical on Leno are simply nitpicking a kid who has otherwise been a solid player. A strong veteran competitor for Leno would be ideal.

Same situation with Grasu, push them with competition.

They need a right guard to work next to Long, I imagine they draft a kid who Long can develop and mentor because he's already at the point in his career where you can trust him to do that. I don't think they need to mess with the personnel at this point because they're at a point where they can try to let this group develop chemistry by staying together.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we can buy a legit RT I'd move Long back to RG. Make the right side of the line a strength.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are going to have to spend in free agency the question is where do they feel comfortable spending their money?

The offensive line development has been a pleasant surprise. People looking to be critical on Leno are simply nitpicking a kid who has otherwise been a solid player. A strong veteran competitor for Leno would be ideal.

They need a right guard to work next to Long, I imagine they draft a kid who Long can develop and mentor because he's already at the point in his career where you can trust him to do that. I don't think they need to mess with the personnel at this point because they're at a point where they can try to let this group develop chemistry by staying together.

I agree get a day 1, no questions asked, starting RG.

Get some depth and comeptition.

If an elite OT falls in your lap then pick him and take the value.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Nope. Let Leno try and beat out a 1st round OT in the draft. The left tackle position is a big time high value position. All of this love for Leno is amazing. Is he a surprise? Certainly. Has he done well for a 7th round pick starting at left tackle? Yeah. But this guy is not nearly a top notch LT and likely will not be. He reminds me of Jordan Mills who folks were saying the same shit about a couple of years ago only at RT.

Nope. They need to add a high draft pick at Tackle and another pick or free agent for right guard. THAT will make the offensive line a quality one. Finish the offensive line and continue to add talent to the defense. It isn't one or the other. It is both. They have the cap room so use it:)

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
OT

The Bears

With Charles Leno playing well and Kyle Long continuing to develop, the Bears need at OT has diminished somewhat. The Bears could still easily add competition and depth behind Leno, but I doubt they spend big money. OG is another question all together as it has been manned for most of this season by journeymen. The Bears could use a real RG from either the draft or free agency that could stabilize the position.

The Class

There are a number of solid OT in the free agent class that could provide the Bears with affordable depth and competition. One of the true positives of Leno's development is that he makes nothing, considering the position he plays. The Bears should invest in a solid backup and their budget should be solid. There are 3 OGs that will command serious money and can be counted on to start immediately. There are also a couple of young intriguing options that have starting experience, if the Bears choose to spend less.

Top End

1. Russell Okung [Seattle] 28 5 years 47 million/26 guaranteed [Branden Albert]

-Will be incredibly expensive and he has injury issues, would probably not provide 12 million dollars more to the position than Leno.

2. Cordy Glenn [Buffalo] 26 5 years 37.5 million/17.5 million [Eugene Monroe]

-A very intriguing option because of his size and ability to play LT and RT. Would be surprised if he got out of Buffalo un tagged.

3. Mitchell Schwartz [Cleveland] 26 5 years 32 million/15 guaranteed [Brian Bulaga]

-The strength of the class is at RT so if the Bears want to move Long they will have options. Schwartz has quietly become one of the better RTs in the league. He will cost serious money, but at 26 is an intriguing option.

4. Andre Smith [Cincinnati] 28 5 years 30 million/10 guaranteed [Austin Howard]

-Probably the cheaper of the RT options and injuries and conditioning are concerns, but when he is on he is very good and a powerful run blocker.

Young and Intriguing

1. Bobbie Massie [Arizona] 26 5 years 32 million/14 guaranteed [Jeremy Parnell]

-One of my top choices if the Bears do not decide to go with Leno at LT. Massie has great size [6'6" 318lbs] and has really started to develop into a good RT. He shouldn't be crazy expensive and he could continue to get better.

2. Donald Stephenson [Kansas City] 27 5 years 30 million/9 guaranteed [Anthony Collins]

-He can play LT, but injuries and suspensions have slowed his progress. If the Bears could get him on a short deal or for cheap to compete with Leno that would be awesome, but I assume someone will give him mid tier LT money.

3. Kelvin Beachem [Steelers] 25 ?

-Coming off an ACL really complicates things and he physically is similar to Leno, which means lacking upside, probably too big of a risk for the Bears.

Stop Gaps

1. Chris Clark [Houston] 30 2 years 5.7 million/2 guaranteed [Erik Pears]
2. Eric Winston [Cincinnati] 32 1 year 1.5 million
3. Ryan Harris [Denver] 30 2 years 5.7 million/2 guaranteed [Erik Pears]​

OG

Top End

1. Kelechi Osemele [Baltimore] 26 5 years 36.5 million/16.5 guaranteed [Orlando Franklin]

-Has the size [6'5" 330lbs] and the experience in the zone run game that the Bears run, has some consistency issues, but can be dominant. He will get paid.

2. Brandon Brooks [Houston] 26 5 years 36.5 million/16.5 guaranteed [Orlando Franklin]

-Another intriguing player who has youth and size [6'5" 325lbs] on his size. Brooks was developing into one of the better young OGs in the league before injury hit this season, so you are going to have to pay for upside.

3. Alex Boone [SF] 28 5 years 31 million/16 guaranteed [Roger Saffold]

-At 6'8" 300lbs I am not sure how he plays OG, but he is good at it and can play OT in a pinch. He uses his length well to make up for being a leaner player on the inside.

Young and Intriguing

1. Ronald Leary [Dallas] 26 3 years 6.5 million/3 guaranteed [Paul Fanaika]
2. Alvin Bailey [Seattle] 24 2 years 3.3 million/1 guaranteed [John Jerry]
3. Jeff Allen [KC] 25 3 years 6.5 million/3 guaranteed [Paul Fanaika]​

Stop Gaps

1. Ted Larsen [Arizona] 28
2. Ramon Foster [Pittsburgh] 29

Thanks for the post, as always. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Harris's agent starts putting out feelers for Pace's interest. Mainly due to the connection of him knowing Gase's system. Other than that, it's slim pickings for OL this offseason