Looking at Free Agency: The OL Class

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OT

The Bears

With Charles Leno playing well and Kyle Long continuing to develop, the Bears need at OT has diminished somewhat. The Bears could still easily add competition and depth behind Leno, but I doubt they spend big money. OG is another question all together as it has been manned for most of this season by journeymen. The Bears could use a real RG from either the draft or free agency that could stabilize the position.

The Class

There are a number of solid OT in the free agent class that could provide the Bears with affordable depth and competition. One of the true positives of Leno's development is that he makes nothing, considering the position he plays. The Bears should invest in a solid backup and their budget should be solid. There are 3 OGs that will command serious money and can be counted on to start immediately. There are also a couple of young intriguing options that have starting experience, if the Bears choose to spend less.

Top End

1. Russell Okung [Seattle] 28 5 years 47 million/26 guaranteed [Branden Albert]

-Will be incredibly expensive and he has injury issues, would probably not provide 12 million dollars more to the position than Leno.

2. Cordy Glenn [Buffalo] 26 5 years 37.5 million/17.5 million [Eugene Monroe]

-A very intriguing option because of his size and ability to play LT and RT. Would be surprised if he got out of Buffalo un tagged.

3. Mitchell Schwartz [Cleveland] 26 5 years 32 million/15 guaranteed [Brian Bulaga]

-The strength of the class is at RT so if the Bears want to move Long they will have options. Schwartz has quietly become one of the better RTs in the league. He will cost serious money, but at 26 is an intriguing option.

4. Andre Smith [Cincinnati] 28 5 years 30 million/10 guaranteed [Austin Howard]

-Probably the cheaper of the RT options and injuries and conditioning are concerns, but when he is on he is very good and a powerful run blocker.

Young and Intriguing

1. Bobbie Massie [Arizona] 26 5 years 32 million/14 guaranteed [Jeremy Parnell]

-One of my top choices if the Bears do not decide to go with Leno at LT. Massie has great size [6'6" 318lbs] and has really started to develop into a good RT. He shouldn't be crazy expensive and he could continue to get better.

2. Donald Stephenson [Kansas City] 27 5 years 30 million/9 guaranteed [Anthony Collins]

-He can play LT, but injuries and suspensions have slowed his progress. If the Bears could get him on a short deal or for cheap to compete with Leno that would be awesome, but I assume someone will give him mid tier LT money.

3. Kelvin Beachem [Steelers] 25 ?

-Coming off an ACL really complicates things and he physically is similar to Leno, which means lacking upside, probably too big of a risk for the Bears.

Stop Gaps

1. Chris Clark [Houston] 30 2 years 5.7 million/2 guaranteed [Erik Pears]
2. Eric Winston [Cincinnati] 32 1 year 1.5 million
3. Ryan Harris [Denver] 30 2 years 5.7 million/2 guaranteed [Erik Pears]​

OG

Top End

1. Kelechi Osemele [Baltimore] 26 5 years 36.5 million/16.5 guaranteed [Orlando Franklin]

-Has the size [6'5" 330lbs] and the experience in the zone run game that the Bears run, has some consistency issues, but can be dominant. He will get paid.

2. Brandon Brooks [Houston] 26 5 years 36.5 million/16.5 guaranteed [Orlando Franklin]

-Another intriguing player who has youth and size [6'5" 325lbs] on his size. Brooks was developing into one of the better young OGs in the league before injury hit this season, so you are going to have to pay for upside.

3. Alex Boone [SF] 28 5 years 31 million/16 guaranteed [Roger Saffold]

-At 6'8" 300lbs I am not sure how he plays OG, but he is good at it and can play OT in a pinch. He uses his length well to make up for being a leaner player on the inside.

Young and Intriguing

1. Ronald Leary [Dallas] 26 3 years 6.5 million/3 guaranteed [Paul Fanaika]
2. Alvin Bailey [Seattle] 24 2 years 3.3 million/1 guaranteed [John Jerry]
3. Jeff Allen [KC] 25 3 years 6.5 million/3 guaranteed [Paul Fanaika]​

Stop Gaps

1. Ted Larsen [Arizona] 28
2. Ramon Foster [Pittsburgh] 29

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Thanks Windy.

I think I'd go for what you suggested in your most recent mock - Go for a vet back up to Leno Jr. like Chris Clark and sign Ronald Leary to start at RG and then draft someone like Denver Kirkland in the 2nd or 3rd (I hope the 3rd) to compete at RG (and be the back up guard) and keep Long at RT with Fabuluje as his reserve. I actually want to draft Denver Kirkland in the 3rd so this affects my bias.

One can't argue with the job Leno Jr. has done though I think Cutler has worked wonders in the pocket. He deserves his chance to continue at LT in my opinion.

I wouldn't sign a big name OT in free agency. Money can be spent better elsewhere given Leno Jr.s good form.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I want to spend our excess salary cap money on the defence so we can largely go BPA in the draft which I think is Pace's preferred option.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Alternatively: - Long, Slauson, Grasu, Kirkland, Massie

That would most likely be a fantastic OL.

I think it all hinges on if they actually want to move Long to LT.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
When I look at this line though I am pretty sure this would make our run game absolutely dominant! Maybe this would be my preferred option. We have to spend some money on Massie but with our defence playing well recently we may not need to add so many pieces. Back ups include Leno. Jr, Omameh, Montgomery and Fabuluje (maybe the centre Boehn you've suggested as Montgomery can also play guard as well)

Alternatively: - Long, Slauson, Grasu, Kirkland, Massie

That would most likely be a fantastic OL.

I think it all hinges on if they actually want to move Long to LT.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I want to spend our excess salary cap money on the defence so we can largely go BPA in the draft which I think is Pace's preferred option.

^

Leno could probably stand for some competition, and Grasu should get better over time. he got thrown into the fire. I think upgrades on defense should be the bigger priority. be nice if they could get some better run blocking.

all in all, given the amount of injuries, they've been quite promising.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I'd most likely take a stop gap with some experience at RG and draft a guard.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Then I would most likely look at similar at tackle, especially one with some starts at the LT position unless the contract of Bushrod is friendly.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I may look to the draft again for a center with some experience at guard if Montgomery is let go.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I am pretty confident that the Bears won't sign any big names in the OL department. A young guy or a stop gap guy and probably 1 or 2 mid to late round picks.

Probably a guy like Ronald Leary. Then draft a T and G. I really believe you can find talent mid-late in drafts on the O-line more than any other position.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Leno got exposed Thursday night. He absolutely whiffed on several occasions. They Need a very good offensive tackle as a very high priority. I suggest they use the draft to get one but free agency to find a good road grader offensive guard.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks Windy.

I think I'd go for what you suggested in your most recent mock - Go for a vet back up to Leno Jr. like Chris Clark and sign Ronald Leary to start at RG and then draft someone like Denver Kirkland in the 2nd or 3rd (I hope the 3rd) to compete at RG (and be the back up guard) and keep Long at RT with Fabuluje as his reserve. I actually want to draft Denver Kirkland in the 3rd so this affects my bias.

One can't argue with the job Leno Jr. has done though I think Cutler has worked wonders in the pocket. He deserves his chance to continue at LT in my opinion.

I wouldn't sign a big name OT in free agency. Money can be spent better elsewhere given Leno Jr.s good form.

Get a "back-up for Leno"? I can't disagree more. Let Leno be a back-up, certainly not a starter. He is not very good for a starting offensive tackle in the NFL.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Get a "back-up for Leno"? I can't disagree more. Let Leno be a back-up, certainly not a starter. He is not very good for a starting offensive tackle in the NFL.

You realize he's still learning right?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Osemele and a LT somewhere in the first few rounds, please

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Are we convinced that Long is penciled in as the permanent RT?
If we could land one of those good FA RT's I'd really think about moving Long back to RG where he is pro bowl material. He isn't horrible by any means, but seems to me he is much better inside.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don't see how anyone could pencil Long in anywhere. My best guess is he stays at RT, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they tried him at LT even though I don't see that being his best position. RG is a possibility, but I'm not sure if they go that route. Either way, the Bears need to add one elite OL and provide serious competition at either OT and OG.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don't see how anyone could pencil Long in anywhere. My best guess is he stays at RT, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they tried him at LT even though I don't see that being his best position. RG is a possibility, but I'm not sure if they go that route. Either way, the Bears need to add one elite OL and provide serious competition at either OT and OG.

Yep. I'd add an OT in the first 3 rounds, and an OG in free agency. May the best 5 guys win between Leno, Long, Slauson, Grasu, FA, and rookie. I'd even keep Slauson at C full-time as a legit option if that FA OG and rookie are better than Grasu in camp next year. Let their play dictate where they play. Obviously, Long and Slauson are going to start. Hopefully, the FA is good enough to get a spot. Whoever doesn't start between Leno, Rookie, and Grasu is the 6th OL with Fabuluje as the 7th.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
–Left tackle is a bit tricky. You have Leno who has played well so far and you can go with him next year, but you worry if this was a fluke year and the depth behind him is a question mark. Pace could decide to address the position by signing a veteran (Chris Clark) to compete, spend a high draft pick to be the starter (Stanley – who is projected to be in our range), or spend a Day 3 pick for depth.

–You obviously have Slauson at left guard so you don't have to worry about that spot.

–I believe Grasu is the future at center. He just has to add strength by getting to the 305-307 range. You still have depth issues, so I have them drafting high-upside Evan Boehm with one of their sixth round picks.

–At right guard, I have them re-signing Omameh and drafting Denver Kirkland Day 2 (Preferably 3rd Round). Then letting them compete for the starting spot. Hopefully, Kirkland comes out on top.

–You're fine at right tackle as you have Long as the starter with Fabuluje as his backup.

–Here's what I would go with next year: Leno–Slauson–Grasu–Kirkland–Long

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You realize he's still learning right?

Sure he is. However he was a very low draft pick. Hell, he almost wasn't even drafted. They need a STUD at the most important position in the NFL next to the QB.