Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Muhsin Muhammad: Chicago Bears' plan for Devin Hester a 'tragedy' - ESPN Chicago

Muhsin Muhammad would have liked to have one more season to mentor Chicago Bears receiver Devin Hester, and he called the team's decision to limit Hester's return duties "a tragedy."

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog

Bears blog Get the latest Bears news from ESPN Chicago. Blog

"I think there were some things there that they took away from our arsenal by taking him out of the return game," Muhammad said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "What he did was very special. Some of the returns Devin had [in 2006] were things that will always be in the history books. I think it's a tragedy to see those abilities taken away from him and limiting him to the responsibility of just being a wide receiver."

Hester scored 11 touchdowns on punt and kickoff returns spanning the 2006 and 2007 regular seasons, and returned a kick for a score in the Bears' Super Bowl loss to the Colts in 2007. In an effort to get his playmaking ability on the field more, Bears coaches turned Hester into a receiver before the 2008 season, and the experiment has had mixed results.

Hester has averaged 54 catches for 711 yards in his two full seasons as a receiver, but his return game has suffered. He hasn't scored a touchdown on a return since Dec. 30, 2007 against the New Orleans Saints. After returning 31 kicks without a score in 2008, Hester returned just seven in 2009 as Danieal Manning and Johnny Knox got the bulk of the work.

Muhammad, who played with the Bears from 2005-07, spent his final two seasons with the Carolina Panthers before retiring after the 2009 season.

"[The Bears] probably should have kept me for another year," he said. "I would have said that, but who am I to criticize some of the decisions that go on in the back office. Obviously they've got all the answers. In my opinion I think I still had another year of grooming [Hester] and he really needed my tutelage to help him excel to another level. Is Devin Hester going to be a great player? Absolutely, no matter where he plays. As long as he has the ball in his hands you know he has the possibility of going the distance."

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
So who cares what he has to say.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hester still got returns.

He hit a brick wall.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He dropped alot of passes though

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol moose. Was always "one of the best #2 receivers in the NFL"...which...puts him around 40th best every season....never was good enough to be a has-been.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
lol moose. Was always "one of the best #2 receivers in the NFL"...which...puts him around 40th best every season....never was good enough to be a has-been.

Yes that's a false fact... he was a legit #1 with 3 great years prior to Steve Smith being drafted and learning underhim before surpassing him.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Never liked the guy...Never thought he was that great...liked him even less after he left Chicago on shitty terms...like him even less than that now that he's positive the Bears could've used his sorry ass after he left.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The Bears honestly could of been a playoff team with him still on the team in 08. What Rashied Davis starting and dropping passes was better? Nay, Moose would of helped them probably say win one of those really close games by having to punt so much.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's more like where QBs go to die honestly... they've had WR success in slight droves. They've had 2 successful QBs in pretty much the entire franchise.. and 1 was constantly getting hurt.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh..... Moose was a no talent ass clown.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I feel he is correct. True, returners have a shelf life but to try and throw Hester in as a #1 receiver that early was not a good idea. It also didn't really help that he never had proper tutelage from an older receiver. Sure there are coaches, but coaches don't always know the little things to do like how to tweak a route, how to beat a certain guy with a certain move, etc... I think Hester can still be successful especially since he is in a high octane offense that is QB/WR friendly. Hester in Turner's pop warner offense was not a good combination as well as the fact that the moron Turner never properly used Hester.

Those are my thoughts on that.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This just in ....

Moose dropped another pass.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, some of you guys are pretty damn hard on the Moose. He was the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.