What preseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissick

GA Bear
Liked Posts:
After watching today's game against the Lions, I must admit I feel slightly more secure with this years team than I did last night. The win was by no means pretty, but it's still a Win regardless.

A few things I noticed:
Brian Urlacher - Definetely stood out in this contest. He was all over. I forgot how important he is to our defense.
Offensive line - Still struggling with running the ball. Pass protection remains their strength but that is not saying much. They need to protect our man of the hour.
Jay Cutler - Today the QB we paid for showed up, his arms and his legs. One early interception but he remained poised and confident and didn't let it lead to more.
WR play - Catch the ball! Our receivers are incredibly fast and can get open, but you have to hold on to the ball! Besides, your going to get hit either way. Still a little bit of confusion, but this group will be stellar by season's end.
Chester Taylor/Matt Forte - This may just be the combination we need in the backfield
DLine - Pressured a fraction better than last year..eh..Run defense is still stout, though. JP seems to keep the line somewhat consistent.
DB - Also played a decent game. I would have liked to see Marinelli send DJ Moore on a few blitzes though. Chris Harris had some nasty hits too...welcome back.

General:
-Hold on to the FOOTBALL.
-Too many penalties; however, this went both ways.
-Screen passes<3
-Martz, please try some deep plays.
-Detroit is better than I thought with Stafford, but, hey, We played a lot better than I expected too.

It seems that our Bears saved their effort for when it counts, so crumple up those pre-season stat sheets and chalk a Win into the regular season.

Cheers, ;)
Jake

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Going off of Lions terms is what you do the exact opposite of when you go into the season. 16-0 Bearss

Kameron Wimbley looked great against the Titans... people were jumping on him whomping Williams because he has had a Mark Anderson like career... issue he isn't a OLB he is a speed DE and played more just DE situations as a rookie but was a OLB for the Browns and couldn't rush. Showing you don't know who is great when you play them or who is really really worthless

Last edited:

Kissick

GA Bear
Liked Posts:
Going off of Lions terms is what you do the exact opposite of when you go into the season. 16-0 Bearss

The Lions are better, but they are still the Lions I guess.
Overall, though, I think the Bears had a sense of renewal about them, save for the dryspell in the 2nd-3rd Qtr.

I hope they can keep it rollin'.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't get too amped up over the o-line play, because what we saw today is probably the best it's going to be all season, and Cutler still had to run for his life a lot more often than I would have hoped. Countless times the Bears had to run 2- and 3-route plays (2 wide outs off with the snap, one TE or back on a delayed route into the flats) (maximum) because they needed all the help they could get to keep Cutler from getting killed. It got to the point where Billick on the broadcast had to point out that the Bears are doing this so often because they are worried about the o-line facing the pass rush without any help.

Williams did alright against Vanden Bosch when he had Olsen/Manumaleuna come over to help, but one-on-one Vanden Bosch was routinely eating Williams' lunch and getting into the backfield. Garza and Louis were clearly having some trouble with their respective DT's all game long, and the only reason that didn't result in any more sacks than they racked up total (4 of them, by the way, but I'm sure Bears fans will forget this quickly) is because by the time Suh and Williams had beaten Garza and Louis, Cutler had already been flushed from the pocket by Vanden Bosch taking Chris Williams to school.

And the logical reason for Martz not calling for deeper pass routes throughout the game is because he quickly saw that Cutler wouldn't have the time to take a full drop and hit his man. And even if Cutler did have enough time, it was mostly because he was able to elude the pressure coming his way, but doing that would greatly change the angles from which Cutler was making the throws to his receivers, making the routes ineffective at best.

This kind of stuff worked against the Lions because, well, they are the Lions (and even then, they needed the benefit of a technicality to save them from being down 2 points (at least) with less than 30 seconds left), but only running two or three routes a play because you need to give your o-line help (and even then they struggled) will more than likely severely limit what this team is able to do offensively against the teams on their schedule with a better pass rush and defensive secondary than the lowly Lions.

Simply saying "this win wasn't pretty" is completely understating the issue. The fact of the matter is they almost (and, indeed, should have) lost to the Lions. At Home.

We're going to spend more time on this issue (as well as break down and discuss the game as a whole) tomorrow night, and we'd love to take calls and e-mails from Bears fans that have some thoughts (email us at 643Sports@gmail.com).

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here I thought, and am only a wee bit disappointed, that this thread was going to be about the refs still being in preseason as evident from multiple games.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Where is Prope to speak on this manner?!?!?!?

Kissick

GA Bear
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't get too amped up over the o-line play, because what we saw today is probably the best it's going to be all season, and Cutler still had to run for his life a lot more often than I would have hoped. Countless times the Bears had to run 2- and 3-route plays (2 wide outs off with the snap, one TE or back on a delayed route into the flats) (maximum) because they needed all the help they could get to keep Cutler from getting killed. It got to the point where Billick on the broadcast had to point out that the Bears are doing this so often because they are worried about the o-line facing the pass rush without any help.

Williams did alright against Vanden Bosch when he had Olsen/Manumaleuna come over to help, but one-on-one Vanden Bosch was routinely eating Williams' lunch and getting into the backfield. Garza and Louis were clearly having some trouble with their respective DT's all game long, and the only reason that didn't result in any more sacks than they racked up total (4 of them, by the way, but I'm sure Bears fans will forget this quickly) is because by the time Suh and Williams had beaten Garza and Louis, Cutler had already been flushed from the pocket by Vanden Bosch taking Chris Williams to school.

And the logical reason for Martz not calling for deeper pass routes throughout the game is because he quickly saw that Cutler wouldn't have the time to take a full drop and hit his man. And even if Cutler did have enough time, it was mostly because he was able to elude the pressure coming his way, but doing that would greatly change the angles from which Cutler was making the throws to his receivers, making the routes ineffective at best.

This kind of stuff worked against the Lions because, well, they are the Lions (and even then, they needed the benefit of a technicality to save them from being down 2 points (at least) with less than 30 seconds left), but only running two or three routes a play because you need to give your o-line help (and even then they struggled) will more than likely severely limit what this team is able to do offensively against the teams on their schedule with a better pass rush and defensive secondary than the lowly Lions.

Simply saying "this win wasn't pretty" is completely understating the issue. The fact of the matter is they almost (and, indeed, should have) lost to the Lions. At Home.

We're going to spend more time on this issue (as well as break down and discuss the game as a whole) tomorrow night, and we'd love to take calls and e-mails from Bears fans that have some thoughts (email us at 643Sports@gmail.com).

Well said!

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
I love how Martz finally uses Forte 's receiving skills to it's full capacity

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Where is Prope to speak on this manner?!?!?!?
What would you like me to speak on?*

* I only watched the first half of the Bears game, and the last minutes of the Packers-Eagles game.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I love how Martz finally uses Forte 's receiving skills to it's full capacity

This.

May have been the best thing I saw on Sunday. Forte could be poised for a HUGE year under Martz's guidance. If we can get better run blocking ... he could be going off every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.