Wright FS Manning SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
Call me crazy but I like that combo. Lots of speed and athleticism, if Wright can be a vocal leader in the secondary I think it might be a hell of a combo. Manning seemed pretty solid at SS. I would like to see Manning go over to nickle back in the nickle package and have harris at SS. Moore was around the ball but can't cover those big TEs and WRs like the nickle needs too. Moore can probably handle a Wes Welker type slot reciever but not a 6'5 TE.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Harris creates turnovers & is a reliable strong safety, however.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Harris creates turnovers & is a reliable strong safety, however.
Manning got his ass saved by that call on Megatron since he was MIA on that play. Bears were in cover 3 on that play, which put Manning in the middle of the field, and he completely whiffed on covering Megatron. Major should be starting at FS, Harris at SS and Manning as the nickelback. He has no instincts, no awareness, average tackler, and he's not good enough in coverage to be a good cover 2 SS

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Manning got his ass saved by that call on Megatron since he was MIA on that play. Bears were in cover 3 on that play, which put Manning in the middle of the field, and he completely whiffed on covering Megatron. Major should be starting at FS, Harris at SS and Manning as the nickelback. He has no instincts, no awareness, average tackler, and he's not good enough in coverage to be a good cover 2 SS

Umm what makes you think Manning was out of place in that play? Yes, cover three, where Manning was covering the middle of the field in case a player attacks the middle, his 1/3 zone. NOT the right 1/3 of the endzone which solely was Bowman's field of play...Manning has some ground too but on a short field there wasn't like seconds of time when there was other threats he had to cover too. If he was further over, Schefler would of been wide open.

Not like ya know when they were in cover 2 the next play and he actually saved a TD there with his coverage.

Last edited:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was in the middle of the field and he's supposed to HELP in coverage, and he was supposed to help cover Megatron, which he completely whiffed on.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He was in the middle of the field and he's supposed to HELP in coverage, and he was supposed to help cover Megatron, which he completely whiffed on.

His 1st job is to cover the middle of the field, TE Shefler ran straight out and was past the linebacker... Say Manning for some reason says, Oh I should just abandon the middle and help double cover CJ, There's a wide open middle of the field area for Hill to loft a TD in to Shefler... Manning was at NO fault on the play...

Lefty

Liked Posts:

Don't the logistics for the Cover 3 change when the deep shells are backed up against the back of the endzone, and in that case he wouldn't be able to help the guys outside the has marks as much as he would at, say, the 50 because he is isn't covering "deep middle" anymore?

I mean, if the play started at the Lions' 30 and he was just moseying around the Bears logo at mid-field while the guys outside the hashes got destroyed, yeah, rip him all you want, but the zones and responsibilities changed somewhat because they were covering the endzone, no?

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
My high school runs cover 3 all game, and we run it pretty close to how the Bears ran there's. I play safety and cover the middle, my job changes near the endzone, I usually am told to stick to my deep middle and only leave once the quarterback has the ball leave his hand. So I guess if Manning had time to get to the spot in the 1/3, and didn't do it, it would be partly his fault.

Manning did his part and kept the middle covered, but in a perfect defense, he would have been there to help, but that was on the right 1/3's fault, not his.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:

I didn't stick up for Manning. I think he adds athleticism, but that's it. He could make plays but I'd rather see him as a returner. I've been supporting Wright + Harris since we drafted Wright.

regoob2

Liked Posts:
Manning shows every season that he has no place on an NFL defense.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Manning's zone in Cover 3 is over the middle. He's not supposed to help the left or right side. Why would he do that, that would leave the middle open. Bowman was in his zone, like he should be. Calvin is just a freak athlete.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Manning shows every season that he has no place on an NFL defense.
He's decent at nickelback, but he can't cover well at SS. The Bears would be best served at playing Wright at FS and Harris at SS, which Dustin has pointed out

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He's decent at nickelback, but he can't cover well at SS. The Bears would be best served at playing Wright at FS and Harris at SS, which Dustin has pointed out

qft

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I remember seeing a story at the Trib website saying it's not a matter of if Wright earns a staring job, it's when.

I feel bad for Manning because the guy has been thrown around between safety and corner his entire career. The Bears seriously need to pick a position for him and leave it.

As others have mentioned, I think being the nickel CB would suit his talents well.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:

What about the next two plays where he saved TDs? How can you be sure it was cover 3 and Johnson was Mannings responsiblity?

drunkntailgater

Liked Posts:
Chris Harris is playing out of postition at Free Safety.....they need to bring him back up closer to the line to get the productivity out of him again. There is no reason that Major Wright shouldn't be starting at Free Safety right now. The one preseason game, and all throughout Training Camp the guy was always in position to make a big play!

Let's hope they work this in next week against Dallas!

regoob2

Liked Posts:

He's best when he's blitzing. His coverage at nickel was nothing special. The guy just hates contact. I cant wait for him to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.