Jimmy Butler calls out Hoiberg, says Fred needs to be tougher

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

more:
"It's not even about being coached a certain way for five years," Butler said. "It's making everybody do their job. We weren't doing what we were supposed to be doing, what we wrote up on that board before the game, and nobody spoke up about it. I did probably not enough times, but I think that he has to hold everybody accountable. From the No. 1 player all the way down to however many guys we got. You got to hold everybody accountable; everybody has to do their job. You win your matchup, you do your job, we win the game."

Butler said he believes Hoiberg can be the coach who calls players out when needed.

"Yeah, he's got to be," Butler said. "He's got to be on me, too. He's got to be on our leaders to call guys out when they're not doing their job. But I just think from the jump it got out of hand, dug ourselves a hole. When we do that, we normally don't come out of that hole."

At the same time, Butler didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement when asked if there is still time for him and his teammates to listen to the message Hoiberg is giving.

"It's on everybody," Butler said. "But I think when it's coming from him, it's a lot different. It's different when a player is telling another player and a coach is telling a player. I know it's really not in him like that, but, at times, that's what we need."

Butler, who has been open over the past six months about his desire to be more of a vocal leader for the group, feels he has to set a better example, as well.

"It's always frustrating whenever you lose," Butler said. "If we would have won, we wouldn't be saying this, but since we lost the way that we did, I think that had something to do with it. ... No matter if we were a veteran or young team, you still got to do your job. But yeah, we have to lead since we are the vets. We got to lead by example and talk everything out out there. We got another one Monday."

Toward the end of his media session, Butler acknowledged the Bulls are indeed struggling with the adjustment between Thibodeau and Hoiberg.

"Basketball is basketball," Butler said. "Players come play the game, but it's different. I'm not going to say it's not."

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he is also saying that some of his teammates deserve a tougher treatment

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
first of all i think Jimmy is out of line here. i get hes trying to be a "leader" and probably doesn't have bad intentions but you don't undermine your coach like this to the media.....this is actually the 2nd time he has does this

second this team is a group of veterans. its kinda disheartening that they need to be "coached harder" to do their damn job....it goes to show you how soft this team is and thats the reason i don't have much optimism

third was this the best time to air this out? i mean they had just came off a brutal 4 overtime game and had a overnight flight to New York. it was a understandable loss and lack of effort...i was willing to give everybody a pass tonight

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
I believe Jimmy is talking about Pau Gasol, whose pick and roll defense has been atrocious. He and Mirotic both suck at it.

It's interesting that Pau didn't even make the trip to NY because of fatigue, yet both Jimmy and Rose played tonight after logging big minutes in the 4 overtime game last night.

I'm rolling with Jimmy, but I believe Fred deserves more time to implement his scheme and discipline measures.

Just imagine this board (and other message boards) if Rose would've said what Jimmy said ... lol

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
Butler is spot on

I feel bad for Hoiberg but this Front Office management by GarPax is totally amateurish.

GarPax and most of the players should go.

When you have players that make only one field goal in a 4OT game you ve got big problems.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
anxiously waiting for The Hawk's reply where he babbles about Freddie, Reinny and Garfield

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
I think Jimmy makes a solid point. Plus sometimes saying something to the media is more effective, who's to say he wasn't vocal about this with the team as well.

We can blame this on 4OT the night before, but the Knicks also played on the road the previous night, plus they're...the Knicks. In no situation should the Bulls be getting blown out by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Right or wrong, that shit stays in the locker room. Same with Pau who was calling out teammates.

If these guys are going to discuss relationships through the media, this team will be a ticking time bomb, and that also will devalue assets, so if you think that's a good thing for rebuilding, you're mistaken.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
Right or wrong, that shit stays in the locker room. Same with Pau who was calling out teammates.

If these guys are going to discuss relationships through the media, this team will be a ticking time bomb, and that also will devalue assets, so if you think that's a good thing for rebuilding, you're mistaken.

I agree. Keep it in house.

I love Jimmy as a player, but he's publicly throwing both Gasol and Hoiberg under the bus.

It's crazy how hypocritical the Chicago sports media and message boards are though. Derrick Rose, Jay Cutler, and Brandon Marshall would be getting hammered by the media and message boards right now if they made these comments.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, I did not like his interview at all and I am not a Bulls fan. That is the definition of stuff you have to keep in house. They are grown men and should look each other in the eye and call each other out. Thats healthy. Thats firing someone up. Maybe its just me, but I didn't even like the approach Butler used while saying it to the media. He acted like he was talking to a friend. He didn't sound passionate. It wasn't like he was fired up and letting off some steam. It was just a basic conversation that he decided to let the world know. Maybe he was trying to be a leader but I got the opposite of that. If I am the Bulls, I am having a team meeting. I am letting players air out their differences. Hope to fire up the team and move past this with everyone learning a lesson.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
In the end, this really isn't a big deal. Ideally, you keep it in house but for all we know, Jimmy has voiced it in house and nothing has changed. He obviously feels a certain way and I'm sure the team and Fred will address it and they'll move on from there. Fred's still learning and will probably have to be more vocal than he's really used to. In the beginning of the year he would pretty much sit on the bench the entire team and for the most part be in the background. He's gradually getting more involved on the sideline and I suspect that he probably does need to be more vocal with guys and as time goes on, hopefully he can grow into that. I will say, now that Jimmy's made his point, he should probably be quiet with the media. He said what he had to say and now he just needs to keep his mouth shut.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
You don't throw your coach under the bus. Hoiberg hasn't done a great job but this roster kind of sucks. Jimmy should shut up and just play ball. That is why the bulls gave him a max contract.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid of Butler. Period. Even if it is true, which I don't doubt it is.

Where is the Thibs laughing gif when you need it?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Stupid of Butler. Period. Even if it is true, which I don't doubt it is.

Where is the Thibs laughing gif when you need it?

Thibs was also doing poorly and its a fallacy to suggest he would have done better with this roster. The roster just isn't a championship roster and we bulls fans expecting a championship results.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
In the end, this really isn't a big deal. Ideally, you keep it in house but for all we know, Jimmy has voiced it in house and nothing has changed. He obviously feels a certain way and I'm sure the team and Fred will address it and they'll move on from there. Fred's still learning and will probably have to be more vocal than he's really used to. In the beginning of the year he would pretty much sit on the bench the entire team and for the most part be in the background. He's gradually getting more involved on the sideline and I suspect that he probably does need to be more vocal with guys and as time goes on, hopefully he can grow into that. I will say, now that Jimmy's made his point, he should probably be quiet with the media. He said what he had to say and now he just needs to keep his mouth shut.

Something tells me that you would view things differently if Rose had made the same comments as Jimmy.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Hmm, I understand where Jimmy is coming from, but he definitely went about it the wrong way. Maybe Hoiberg needs to be tougher on him, make him run suicides till he pledges allegiance to the new regime.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Something tells me that you would view things differently if Rose had made the same comments as Jimmy.

Honestly I would. Mainly because rose has coasted these past two years and doesn't play every possession like jimmy. It would be similar to Kevin love speaking out instead of lebron.