Fox and his inadequacies at clock management

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Its tough to watch the end of halves or games with his lack of clock management skills! Was he sleeping? My wife who knows nothing about football is screaming for timeouts!!!

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is probably wrong, but sometimes I convince myself that Fox's "poor" clock management is being done on purpose as a way to tank the season for a better draft pick without making it too obvious to the players and fans.

because most of the time I truly can't find any better reasoning how a veteran coach who has a pretty track record in the nfl can be so terrible with clock management.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
When asked last time, Fox said providing the opponent with timeouts allows them to use their entire playbook to score (ex: rather than only sideline passes).

He figures make opponent settle for 3pt FG, rather than open up 7pt TD opportunity and then hope to have a chance at a 3pt counter-score.

Not saying I agree; but Fox isn't being absentminded.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
When asked last time, Fox said providing the opponent with timeouts allows them to use their entire playbook to score (ex: rather than only sideline passes).

He figures make opponent settle for 3pt FG, rather than open up 7pt TD opportunity and then hope to have a chance at a 3pt counter-score.

Not saying I agree; but Fox isn't being absentminded.
Thanks! I was trying to say the same thing IGT. It's kinda a lose lose situation. Taking the timeout gives us time on the clock but also gives them a chance to call a better play.

Sent from a spaghetti monster circling the earth

greg23

Liked Posts:
John Fox is deplorable as an in game decision maker when it comes to game/clock mgmt, use of timeouts and aggressiveness.....and he always has been (with carolina and Denver )

His after the fact rationale is pure bs and is only uttered to cover up his lack of proper clock mgmt.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks! I was trying to say the same thing IGT. It's kinda a lose lose situation. Taking the timeout gives us time on the clock but also gives them a chance to call a better play.

That would be legit.... If the other team doesn't have timeouts, which they did today. He blew it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox got a ton of credit for having his team prepared to play and being well coached.

This is 3 games in a row that they have looked like shit.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox got a ton of credit for having his team prepared to play and being well coached.

It is going to be a very interesting off-season. I know we have looked like crap the last three weeks, but a lot can change in a year.

baredown

Liked Posts:
His first half timeout management was marginally arguable on Fox's part. His second half timeout management was inexcusable. Down two touchdowns and following an unsuccessful onsite kick with four minutes to go, there isn't an NFL coach alive who wouldn't be burning his timeouts right away. Except Fox...

Pace can't be oblivious to the recurring timeout management problems. If the mantra that "everyone is accountable" really is true, then Pace needs to take Fox to task in the off-season for his bad clock management skills. Not "you're fired", but "fix it". At some level, this is a test of Pace's management credibility. There's an old military adage "when you're in command, command!" Time for Pace to command...

greg23

Liked Posts:

Well....by.my count that makes 4 of 14 games where the team looked like crap and didnt show up to start the game

30% unprepared is not a rigning endorsement for his strongest trait

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Bronco fans were cheering when Fox left.

my favorite is when he told Manning to take a knee with the Broncos on the opponents 40 yard line with 35 seconds left in the half

greg23

Liked Posts:
Just look at ron rivera

Went from one of about 29 conservative moron coaches who had poor game/time mgmt to riverboat ron, a guy who has balls to go for it and play aggressively

He's now won 3 straight div titles and 17 straight reg season games

I have 100% confidence that fox will NOT change his style....however long he is here he'll have clock and timeout issues and the better the team gets the MORE conservative he'll get (which is saying something after watching this season)

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
That would be legit.... If the other team doesn't have timeouts, which they did today. He blew it.
That's a fair argument. Looking at all aspects, if we didn't give up the next first down and they punt, we have all our time outs for the offense, which is more valuable. Also, it's rare the other team uses their time outs in that situation. Which is what i think Fox was thinking.

I'm not saying it was a good or bad move to save the time outs for the offense but i will say that the outcome didn't favor Fox's decision.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
this is probably wrong, but sometimes I convince myself that Fox's "poor" clock management is being done on purpose as a way to tank the season for a better draft pick without making it too obvious to the players and fans.

because most of the time I truly can't find any better reasoning how a veteran coach who has a pretty track record in the nfl can be so terrible with clock management.

We can hope but more likely the next scenario below your post.

Slough for Goff!

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a fair argument. Looking at all aspects, if we didn't give up the next first down and they punt, we have all our time outs for the offense, which is more valuable. Also, it's rare the other team uses their time outs in that situation. Which is what i think Fox was thinking.

I'm not saying it was a good or bad move to save the time outs for the offense but i will say that the outcome didn't favor Fox's decision.

And then come out throwing hail Mary's.... When that happened I said that's probably the dumbest thing I've seen so far.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
This probably isn't the most popular viewpoint right now, but I still have faith in this coaching staff. We've been plagued by injuries on both sides of the ball on a roster that wasn't that talented to begin with. Because of this, I find it hard to blame the coaches for too much of this disaster of a season.

greg23

Liked Posts:
This probably isn't the most popular viewpoint right now, but I still have faith in this coaching staff. We've been plagued by injuries on both sides of the ball on a roster that wasn't that talented to begin with. Because of this, I find it hard to blame the coaches for too much of this disaster of a season.

They did mismanage the end of the det game (and numerous and of1st halves) but the point is these issues will be present if/when the bears get good under this staff....fox hasnt or cant change