1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He's ranking positions this week:

bit.ly/1l7FeNc

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think the SP will be somewhere around 10 when it's all said and done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call it a top rotation. Arrieta has to prove he is not a 1 hit wonder. Add to it Lester needs to put up a full season then Hammel needs to not fall off the ship again. That call has no substance.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Mets have the top rotation, followed by the Nats.

Too much of the Cubs rotation relies on Arrieta having another Cy Young season like last year.

Lester is declining and very hittable. #3 thru #6 is barely average.

Another point on Arrieta... he looked pretty gased after the WC game against Pittsburgh last year. You guys better hope he doesn't get dead arm or worse during the season. If he gets injured things could get ugly, quick. Cubs will be kicking themselves in the ass for not adding another ace during the offseason.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Mets have the top rotation, followed by the Nats.

Too much of the Cubs rotation relies on Arrieta having another Cy Young season like last year.

Lester is declining and very hittable. #3 thru #6 is barely average.

Another point on Arrieta... he looked pretty gased after the WC game against Pittsburgh last year. You guys better hope he doesn't get dead arm or worse during the season. If he gets injured things could get ugly, quick. Cubs will be kicking themselves in the ass for not adding another ace during the offseason.

So, tell me how Lester is declining? Show proven things to show the decline besides his ERA wasn't the same?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call it a top rotation. Arrieta has to prove he is not a 1 hit wonder. Add to it Lester needs to put up a full season then Hammel needs to not fall off the ship again. That call has no substance.

So, what if I told you the Cubs were the 3rd best pitching staff last year for starters and overall? Errata has proved he is more than a one year wonder because he had a great year the year before. Now, if you are talking about producing same innings. Sure, but for overall production he has proven the past two years he is great. Lester actually had great year last year and is the type of pitcher that should have longevity and now we added Lackey. I am sure he will regress but he is a competitor. So, the no substance is bs because last year the Cubs starters had a 3.36 ERA only behind the Cardinals and the Dodgers. Also, we have one of the top pitching coaches in the league that is adjusting this off season pitching schedule to strengthen our starters as the season has gone on. Im not going to declare us the next great pitching staff but there is a lot of things that say it could happen. Its funny. People say Arrieta needs to prove it but the Mets staff is full of Tommy John's and very young starters. The Mets staff has more to prove then the Cubs. The Cubs have veterans. The Mets do not. Its funny people talk about the Mets staff like its a lock deal. I remember when the Cubs had a lock deal with Prior, Wood, and Zambrano. That was suppose to be the next ten years of Cubs dominance. I am big on letting play out but the Cubs pitchers have a lot more of a track record.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
So, what if I told you the Cubs were the 3rd best pitching staff last year for starters and overall? Errata has proved he is more than a one year wonder because he had a great year the year before. Now, if you are talking about producing same innings. Sure, but for overall production he has proven the past two years he is great. Lester actually had great year last year and is the type of pitcher that should have longevity and now we added Lackey. I am sure he will regress but he is a competitor. So, the no substance is bs because last year the Cubs starters had a 3.36 ERA only behind the Cardinals and the Dodgers. Also, we have one of the top pitching coaches in the league that is adjusting this off season pitching schedule to strengthen our starters as the season has gone on. Im not going to declare us the next great pitching staff but there is a lot of things that say it could happen. Its funny. People say Arrieta needs to prove it but the Mets staff is full of Tommy John's and very young starters. The Mets staff has more to prove then the Cubs. The Cubs have veterans. The Mets do not. Its funny people talk about the Mets staff like its a lock deal. I remember when the Cubs had a lock deal with Prior, Wood, and Zambrano. That was suppose to be the next ten years of Cubs dominance. I am big on letting play out but the Cubs pitchers have a lot more of a track record.

Well, nevermind that they swept you silly in the playoffs.

Their top 4 starters (deGrom, Harvey, Syndergaard and Matz) are aces on other teams. Cubs don't have that kind of depth in their rotation.

As for the veteran experience... postseason ERA of the Cubs' starters was brutal last year, so I'm not seeing that as a strength. Frankly, that should be a concern for Cubs fans.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, nevermind that they swept you silly in the playoffs.

Their top 4 starters (deGrom, Harvey, Syndergaard and Matz) are aces on other teams. Cubs don't have that kind of depth in their rotation.

As for the veteran experience... postseason ERA of the Cubs' starters was brutal last year, so I'm not seeing that as a strength. Frankly, that should be a concern for Cubs fans.

3 out of their 4 starters have had Tommy John surgery and 3 out of 4 have had 1 good to great season. I can totally see how you trust in them over the Cubs pitchers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta needs to prove he is that level of pitcher every year. There are plenty of pitchers who had a career year then fell back. Not saying one way or another just he has to prove he is at that level every year.

Lester I feel will bounce back. He was not right in spring training and he ended up with a crap Apr. he also didn't take his game up to the next level as the season progressed.

My opinion is it will come down to the 4/5 and if any of Warren etc steal a spot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said I feel the middle relief is top 3 in the league. Don't think many could argue it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Arrieta needs to prove he is that level of pitcher every year. There are plenty of pitchers who had a career year then fell back. Not saying one way or another just he has to prove he is at that level every year.

Lester I feel will bounce back. He was not right in spring training and he ended up with a crap Apr. he also didn't take his game up to the next level as the season progressed.

My opinion is it will come down to the 4/5 and if any of Warren etc steal a spot.

It's a solid rotation. I would have been happier with one more younger addition of the likes Salazar, Carrasco, Teheran, etc. but that hasn't happened although still could at the deadline. Still I don't think there are a lot of question marks with Arrieta has he has been very good for 2 years, not just last year. I'm not expecting the superhuman second half performer but few can sustain that anyway. Lester had a solid season last year and doesn't get a lot of credit for it. Lackey had a very good year and has already made age adjustments so should probably be ok this year. After that I'm not worried that you can get some 4 and 5 starter performances out of the likes of Hammel, Hendricks, Warren and Cahill. Barring injury the rotation is probably top 4 in the NL which is obviously topped by NY with SF, Arizona and Washington all in the picture.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before last season, I predicted Arrieta would fall back to being a normal guy. Not doing that again!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a solid rotation. I would have been happier with one more younger addition of the likes Salazar, Carrasco, Teheran, etc. but that hasn't happened although still could at the deadline. Still I don't think there are a lot of question marks with Arrieta has he has been very good for 2 years, not just last year. I'm not expecting the superhuman second half performer but few can sustain that anyway. Lester had a solid season last year and doesn't get a lot of credit for it. Lackey had a very good year and has already made age adjustments so should probably be ok this year. After that I'm not worried that you can get some 4 and 5 starter performances out of the likes of Hammel, Hendricks, Warren and Cahill. Barring injury the rotation is probably top 4 in the NL which is obviously topped by NY with SF, Arizona and Washington all in the picture.

What are people expecting out of Lester? He had his third best k/9 at 9.1. His third best fWAR with 5 and had a FIP under 3. Im not saying you but Cubs fans seem to act like he was mediocre. His fWAR was 13th best in the majors. Yes, he started out slow but that should only show he may be stronger this year. I have no complaints about Lester except throwing to first base. They need Susan Sarandon to come in and work her magic on him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What are people expecting out of Lester? He had his third best k/9 at 9.1. His third best fWAR with 5 and had a FIP under 3. Im not saying you but Cubs fans seem to act like he was mediocre. His fWAR was 13th best in the majors. Yes, he started out slow but that should only show he may be stronger this year. I have no complaints about Lester except throwing to first base. They need Susan Sarandon to come in and work her magic on him.

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of Lester either. He had a very good season. If you go back and look at his history he's never that sharp in April and last year he missed almost all of ST. Still, by the numbers, he had a "Lester" year. I'm not sure how you complain about a 5.0 fWAR pitcher. By that standard he was the 13th best pitcher in all of baseball and 8th in the NL.

ChiTeez.com

Best shirts in Chicago
Liked Posts:
Excited to see what this pitching staff can do. Cubs looked to be improved, assuming everyone produces. Cubbies are looking very scary if the talent holds up.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think the problem with Jon was Opening Night. That set the tone for what people thought and also paying all that money for a LHP who can't hold runners on. He did much better as the regular season went on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

It was borderline Soriano syndrome. lol Soriano came in and was probably the difference with us making the playoffs and fans were turning on him because he didn't have a 40/40 season. Not to be a dick, but for a large city that doesn't have a lot of winning traditions, well at least not lately, seem to put any kind of player that makes big money on this huge pedestal and barring Sammy Sosa like seasons turn on them. Its weird its like all perception goes out the window. Im sure at some point they will do it to Heyward if he has a struggling month or something.

Oh well, We are a little over a month away from seeing some ST. Excited for that.