Key offseason dates, including when Bears can franchise Alshon Jeffery

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Here are key offseason dates for the Bears over the next two months:Jan. 30: Senior Bowl. The Bears’ scouting department will be in Mobile, Alabama, to take a closer look at the top prospects in the 2016 NFL draft class. The Bears typically make coaches and scouts off-limits to the media throughout the week.

Feb. 8: First day teams can place players on waivers for 2016.

Feb. 16: First day teams can use the franchise or transition tag on players. The franchise tag may be an option for wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Feb. 23-29: The NFL scouting combine takes place in Indianapolis. Thanks to finishing 6-10 last year, Chicago has the 11th pick in the draft. The annual combine is an invaluable resource for teams to meet one-on-one with select members of the rookie class, and to conduct business with agents of prospective free agents. The Bears usually make their head coach and general manager available to the media at Lucas Oil Stadium.

March 1: Deadline for applying the franchise or transition tag is 3 p.m. CT.

March 7-9: Teams can enter into negotiations with agents of players who will be unrestricted free agents. The Bears have 18 unrestricted free agents, whom they can sign at any time. No contracts can be executed with other team’s free agents until 3 p.m. CT on March 9.

March 9: Free agency begins at 3 p.m. CT. The Bears have in excess of $50 million in available salary cap space, but general manager Ryan Pace hinted the club is expected to spread out its resources, instead of signing one "splash" free agent.

April 18: Offseason workouts begin for teams with head coaches who are returning.

April 22: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign their offer sheets.

April 28-30: The NFL draft takes place in Chicago.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bea...uding-when-bears-can-franchise-alshon-jeffery

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes, because paying a guy $16M a season when he's proven he can't stay healthy is a good investment.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Yes, because paying a guy $16M a season when he's proven he can't stay healthy is a good investment.

Just think how much better of a situation the Bears would be if they had franchised Jay instead of giving him a huge contract. The Tag is there for a purpose. Use it wisely and it can be a valuable tool.

Liked Posts:
Just think how much better of a situation the Bears would be if they had franchised Jay instead of giving him a huge contract. The Tag is there for a purpose. Use it wisely and it can be a valuable tool.

Cutler is paid middle of the pack money. His contact is not hurting this team.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

The Bears don't use the tag well. People wanted them to use it on Josh McCown lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't use the tag well. People wanted them to use it on Josh McCown lol
That sounds more like Bear fans don't know how to use the tag well.

I can recall the Bears using the tag once in the last 10 years.. on Lance Briggs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I feel like this is a stolen thread.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

We know his shins work at least...

Dr. Manhattan

Liked Posts:
That sounds more like Bear fans don't know how to use the tag well.

I can recall the Bears using the tag once in the last 10 years.. on Lance Briggs.

Henry Melton and Matt forte were both franchise tagged

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Yes all of jays fourth quarter clutch comebacks have hurt this otherwise totally talented team
Spartans a fucking jag

Chinese

Liked Posts:
Yes all of jays fourth quarter clutch comebacks have hurt this otherwise totally talented team
Spartans a fucking jag

He is clutch qtrs 1-3 as well.
I knew he turned the corner when week 12 we finally scored a td in the 3rd.
He freaking amazing ALL 4 qtrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Calm down, girls. Everybody else knows him to be a loser so don't just blame me.