How would '85 defense fare today?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't. It would get flagged nine ways to sunday on most plays on D.

P.S -

Are we not friends Scoot26?

That's what I was thinking. 15yds for tackling the QB. Ejected from the game for tackling the QB and putting your weight on them while driving to the ground.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
lol @ the 2006 Colts beating the 78 Steelers and 97 Broncos.

I'm pretty curious as to how Starr only completed 15 of 33 passes, had 5 INTs, and the Packers still scored 28.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty curious as to how Starr only completed 15 of 33 passes, had 5 INTs, and the Packers still scored 28.
:dunno: Probably why these simulations are pretty much garbage.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
As for the question at hand, I'm pretty sure Buddy Ryan at his peak could certainly design a defense to stop today's offenses.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Care to expound on that? I mean, it's not like I don't love the 85 Bears, I have the 85 season on DVD and just watched the 85 Super Bowl again this week. But try to be realistic and logical when you think about it.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
:dunno: Probably why these simulations are pretty much garbage.

This.

I don't want to say these debates are 100% pointless because they can be fun, but there are so many things about the playing field between two teams of different eras that you have to level before you can even decide who's going to "win." Are you going to play with the rules then or the rules now? Will the players be using the training methods of then or now? Will the players be using the same PEDs (because you're goddam delusional if you don't think the majority are using) that they have then or now?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Care to expound on that? I mean, it's not like I don't love the 85 Bears, I have the 85 season on DVD and just watched the 85 Super Bowl again this week. But try to be realistic and logical when you think about it.

You stated that the 46 would only work in 3rd and long, you're saying that defense was one dimensional. Buddy schemed so many different variations they could pretty much take what ever was thrown at them on any down.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

I don't want to say these debates are 100% pointless because they can be fun, but there are so many things about the playing field between two teams of different eras that you have to level before you can even decide who's going to "win." Are you going to play with the rules then or the rules now? Will the players be using the training methods of then or now? Will the players be using the same PEDs (because you're goddam delusional if you don't think the majority are using) that they have then or now?

:dontsay:

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You stated that the 46 would only work in 3rd and long, you're saying that defense was one dimensional. Buddy schemed so many different variations they could pretty much take what ever was thrown at them on any down.

Well to be fair the 46 front wasn't used on every play. But the style of defense he used, which was a lot of overloaded pressure, wouldn't work as well now as it did before. If you are saying the players on that team could transcend the generational gap and that Buddy could scheme to beat the new style offenses, then I would agree with that.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As for the question at hand, I'm pretty sure Buddy Ryan at his peak could certainly design a defense to stop today's offenses.
Yeah, agree entirely. But as someone else said, he could probably do anything with the talent he had to play with. He never had that in Philly, thus wasn't as successful.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well to be fair the 46 front wasn't used on every play. But the style of defense he used, which was a lot of overloaded pressure, wouldn't work as well now as it did before. If you are saying the players on that team could transcend the generational gap and that Buddy could scheme to beat the new style offenses, then I would agree with that.

Other than you saying the overloaded pressure wouldn't work now I think we're saying the same thing. Hard to say whether or not that attacking blitz happy defense wouldn't work in today's game, that D had very special talent.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
......there are elements of the 46D in Rivera's doing with the Panther"D". I noticed when it was obvious the Cards had to pass, Rivera was bringing ppl. from everywhere ( smacking Palmer), that what Ryan's "46D" used to do.

Moostache

Liked Posts:
Rivera in Carolina and Fisher in St. Louis both lined up in 46 formations more than a little, and it was still pretty effective in today's NFL as both the Rams and Panthers had very good to excellent D at times during the season.

Th '85 Bears talent made the philosophy work. I read the comments here and was a little surprised that many seem to think the 46 was only about sacks, it was also INCREDIBLY hard to run against and the confusion it caused for QBs like Montana, Theismann, Simms et al. in '85 was a testament to the value of making your opponent one dimensional and then teeing off on them. Wilson and Marshall would still be Pro-Bowlers today. Singletary, Hampton, Dent would still be Hall of Fame caliber and the rest of that defense would be equal to or better than many NFL players starting the league today - Richardson was always under-rated at CB and McMichael was an outstanding DT, as was Perry until he got too fat and happy.

Now, the one thing I would say is that the hit Marshall put on Ferguson would probably draw a 3 game suspension in the pussified NFL of today...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It was part Buddy Ryan's defense but mostly talent. Jim Finks put together one of the most talented defenses ever. They would do fine today. The front 7 would be the best in football right now.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The thing I luved about the 46 was how feared we were. I mean our "D" was like....... qb's facing Mike Tyson ( in his prime). Qb's were literally afraid b4 they came on the field to play us. We were knocking Qb's outta games.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Under todays rules, they would get torched by a team like NE. Under the '85 rules, that game would be down right interesting. Thing is, I am not so sure how the '85 offense would stack up and if they could score enough points.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Under todays rules, they would get torched by a team like NE. Under the '85 rules, that game would be down right interesting. Thing is, I am not so sure how the '85 offense would stack up and if they could score enough points.

:nope: Like how NE torched Denver in the AFC championship game ? About the only target Brady had was Gronk his mediocre WRs couldn't get open, on top of that Brady was pressured hard all day. The Bears D was one of the fiercest pressure defenses in NFL history, that probably would have put Brady out of the game as poor as his O line was.

The Bears offense had an excellent O line with a strong running game. Willie Gault had world class speed to take the top off of defenses Suhey and Payton were good at receiving out of the backfield, then there was McKinnon and E Moorehead that were very respectable at their positions. It wasn't a flashy offense but they could get it done.

Last edited: