OT: Calvin Johnson to retire

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Giant Panda get to come back? That's the real question inquiring minds are asking.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:

IF the Lions were to offer that, Chicago would essentially have 3 top-16 first round picks coming into this season. White from last season, who ever the Bears take with their original pick this season, and then the 16th. For a rebuilding team, getting 3 top-16 first round picks, you couldn't ask for a better start to a rebuild.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Is Calvin Johnson a HOFer?

9 year career...5 pro bowls...3-time first team consensus All-Pro...single-season receiving yardage record...twice led NFL in receiving yardage for a season...27th in career receiving yards, 22nd in career receiving TDs (1 less than Tommy McDonald, 18 more than Michael Irvin)...

Kind of an interesting comparison to Sterling Sharpe, who played 2 fewer seasons than Johnson but has the same 5PB/3AP resume and led the NFL in more single-season categories (3X receptions, 1X yardage, 2X rec TDs) than Johnson.

My first thought on Johnson was that he is a HOFer. I think he and Larry Fitzgerald were/are the best WRs of their era. But the more I look at the numbers, the more I think that he might not get in to Canton (and Fitzgerald might not, either). He has 2 average seasons, 2 above average seasons, and 5 really good seasons. I was surprised that in his monster 2012 seasons of 122 receptions and 1964 yards, he only scored 5 times.

Except that the HOF voters are smart enough to know that Sharpe and Megatron were in completely opposite situations.

Sterling Sharpe had pretty decent players around him and had Brett Favre throwing to him those 2 seasons he led the NFL in touchdown receptions.

Megatron played on fucking terrible teams with terrible quarterbacks like Dan Orlovsky early in his career before the Lions drafted Stafford, upgrading the QB position from awful to mediocre. During Megatron's career, the Lions never won a single playoff game and went 7-9, 0-16, 2-14, 6-10, 10-6, 4-12, 7-9, 11-5, and 7-9, a combined record of 54-90. He was an all-time great player in a completely shitty situation, which is probably a big part of the reason that he's retiring early.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Except that the HOF voters are smart enough to know that Sharpe and Megatron were in completely opposite situations.

Sterling Sharpe had pretty decent players around him and had Brett Favre throwing to him those 2 seasons he led the NFL in touchdown receptions.

Megatron played on fucking terrible teams with terrible quarterbacks like Dan Orlovsky early in his career before the Lions drafted Stafford, upgrading the QB position from awful to mediocre. During Megatron's career, the Lions never won a single playoff game and went 7-9, 0-16, 2-14, 6-10, 10-6, 4-12, 7-9, 11-5, and 7-9, a combined record of 54-90. He was an all-time great player in a completely shitty situation, which is probably a big part of the reason that he's retiring early.

The HOF has also been consistently stingy on their selection of WRs to the HOF. It took them 6 years until they decided to elect Cris Carter.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see Johnson having any trouble getting into the HOF. Hell, just having a name like Megatron should get you there.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welcome back, Senor Sparrow.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear you man, I really don't know Clouds ...... at all, either.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Is Calvin Johnson a HOFer?

9 year career...5 pro bowls...3-time first team consensus All-Pro...single-season receiving yardage record...twice led NFL in receiving yardage for a season...27th in career receiving yards, 22nd in career receiving TDs (1 less than Tommy McDonald, 18 more than Michael Irvin)...

Kind of an interesting comparison to Sterling Sharpe, who played 2 fewer seasons than Johnson but has the same 5PB/3AP resume and led the NFL in more single-season categories (3X receptions, 1X yardage, 2X rec TDs) than Johnson.

My first thought on Johnson was that he is a HOFer. I think he and Larry Fitzgerald were/are the best WRs of their era. But the more I look at the numbers, the more I think that he might not get in to Canton (and Fitzgerald might not, either). He has 2 average seasons, 2 above average seasons, and 5 really good seasons. I was surprised that in his monster 2012 seasons of 122 receptions and 1964 yards, he only scored 5 times.

Sounds a bit like Walter Payton's career, doesn't it? Minus 3 or 4 seasons and an absurd games-played streak. Usually near the top of the league at his position but often overshadowed by a player or two at different times.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Johnson is a HOF'er and FWIW I think Sharpe belongs as well.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually if the Lions want to give up the 16th pick for Jeffery, Pace needs to do that in a heartbeat.

Literally doesn't surprise me to see a potato of your caliber utter this nonsense. You don't fucking trade high tier talent barely entering their prime for a draft pick that most certainly is no guarantee to pay off.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Given the set up of Johnson's contract it's surprising to see him go. This upcoming season was set up to be the highest paid of his record breaking contract. Over $24 million owed to him in 2016, $21 m in 2017. Next 4 years were all due to be $17 million or more. Lions would be off the hook in cap space after 2 more years.

TwoWire

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Johnson has enough to get into the HOF. I mean he didn't really kill it. I think you need a shit load more than what he's bringing before they vote him in.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Johnson has enough to get into the HOF. I mean he didn't really kill it. I think you need a shit load more than what he's bringing before they vote him in.
He had a 3 year stretch where he basically killed it and was consistent besides that. And that whole catch that's not a catch started with him. Haha

Tim Brown didn't kill it. John Stallworth, James Lofton, Andre Reed, Steve Largent, Cris Carter, Charlie Joiner, Paul Warfield, all are in the Hall and much lesser receivers.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Incredible talent. Absolute nightmare for every team when they had to cover him. Wish him the best out of football.

That being said, I'm glad as hell he's gone off the Lions, because it makes that offense significantly weaker and the Bears don't have to deal with him.

Roary

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well a lot of his better plays were against the Bears :smug2: