Derrick Rose since 2011

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Are people seriously siding with owners over players in here? WoW. Owners have made boat loads more $$$ than players ever since the league came into existence. Up until MJ, players were not really utilizing endorsements to make the majority of their money like he did. MJ changed it all for the players, showing them that they can market themselves as a brand to recoup $$ they were not seeing from being on the court.

Yes owners were rich before and that's why they had the funds to purchase a sports team. Yes the owners provide the means (practice facility, stadium, equipment, trainers, coaches, etc.) for the players to perform to the best of their ability. But let's not kid ourselves here people. It is the PLAYERS who get people in the seats. It is the PLAYERS that determine the amount of merchandise sales. It is the PLAYERS that generate the majority of the revenue based on their performance and popularity with the people. This is why players have been vastly underpaid for years. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a bit ridiculous that someone gets paid millions upon millions to bounce or throw or catch a ball, but sports are HUGE business with TONS of money coming in year after year, so you've got to pay them what they're worth.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Noah can't guard anybody worth a damn anymore. People who still think Noah is this great defender clearly aren't paying attention.

oh, is that why deandre Jordan just got done abusing us? is noah still DPOY caliber? no, of course not. is he still the best defensive big man on our current roster? abso - fucking - lutely and its not even close. the help defense he provides his teammates is sooo valuable, but that's not something easily noticed by the average basketball fan

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Are people seriously siding with owners over players in here? WoW. Owners have made boat loads more $$$ than players ever since the league came into existence. Up until MJ, players were not really utilizing endorsements to make the majority of their money like he did. MJ changed it all for the players, showing them that they can market themselves as a brand to recoup $$ they were not seeing from being on the court.

Yes owners were rich before and that's why they had the funds to purchase a sports team. Yes the owners provide the means (practice facility, stadium, equipment, trainers, coaches, etc.) for the players to perform to the best of their ability. But let's not kid ourselves here people. It is the PLAYERS who get people in the seats. It is the PLAYERS that determine the amount of merchandise sales. It is the PLAYERS that generate the majority of the revenue based on their performance and popularity with the people. This is why players have been vastly underpaid for years. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a bit ridiculous that someone gets paid millions upon millions to bounce or throw or catch a ball, but sports are HUGE business with TONS of money coming in year after year, so you've got to pay them what they're worth.

If it wasn't for the owners being wealthy enough before to buy a team and pay for everything you mentioned (stadium, practice facility, player contracts, coaches, stadium employes etc etc) most of these guys would be working in McDonalds. They're compensated quite nicely for doing what they love to do. How can anyone have a gripe with the owners? They're the ones taking all the financial risk and financing everything. Why would anyone have a problem with them making a lot of money too? Players get people in the seats, yes. Owners give them the means to do so.