Focusing on Bears quarterback position

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the first of a nine-part series, ChicagoBears.com takes an in-depth look at the Bears’ quarterback position heading into the 2016 offseason.

More...
First of a nine-part series? Yikes! In-depth look at the Bears’ quarterback position? Right cause you need to go in depth to discover a QB who has spent 10 years being mediocre, is somehow better than that.

Any fan who goes to a team's website expecting anything in-depth or anything other than fluff, isn't too bright. And Larry Mayer, like many fans, doesn't even come off as being optimistic, just clueless and content with losing.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
First of a nine-part series? Yikes! In-depth look at the Bears’ quarterback position? Right cause you need to go in depth to discover a QB who has spent 10 years being mediocre, is somehow better than that.

Any fan who goes to a team's website expecting anything in-depth or anything other than fluff, isn't too bright. And Larry Mayer, like many fans, doesn't even come off as being optimistic, just clueless and content with losing.

Before Cutler, the Bears were always a team that dumped a QB for a new one in a blink of an eye. I think from 1990 to 2008, the Bears had more starting QBs than any team in the NFL. So Cutler was the first QB in a long time, if ever, that the Bears could be said to have "stuck with" for too long.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Before Cutler, the Bears were always a team that dumped a QB for a new one in a blink of an eye. I think from 1990 to 2008, the Bears had more starting QBs than any team in the NFL. So Cutler was the first QB in a long time, if ever, that the Bears could be said to have "stuck with" for too long.

They actually didnt- they just had hideous luck.
Harbaugh stuck for 7 years, and he sucked for the most part.
Kramer was the guy for 5 years... and they drafted McNown. Yuck.
McNown Blew dead goats and was replaced by miller as a stopgap, and Miller couldnt stay on the field due to injuries and a PED suspension.
(Does anyone remember how Jauron would trot out McNown game after game in clean up duty? he threw passes in 9 games that he did not start)
After a very sensible decision to launch McNown, Grossman was drafted. He had 6 years to keep the job.
Now Cutler.

Injuries and failure led to the turnover at the position, but in all honesty each guy was given more than enough opportunity.
Harbaugh-87 to 93.
Kramer had 94 to 98
McCown had 99/2000
Miller earned a shot off the bench for 2 years and ultimately couldnt stay on the field.
Grossman had 2003-2008
Cutler, 2009-2015.

I dont see where any of the designated guys were launched prematurely.. as a matter of fact, some of them stuck too long.

mecha

Liked Posts:
They actually didnt- they just had hideous luck.
Harbaugh stuck for 7 years, and he sucked for the most part.
Kramer was the guy for 5 years... and they drafted McNown. Yuck.
McNown Blew dead goats and was replaced by miller as a stopgap, and Miller couldnt stay on the field due to injuries and a PED suspension.
(Does anyone remember how Jauron would trot out McNown game after game in clean up duty? he threw passes in 9 games that he did not start)
After a very sensible decision to launch McNown, Grossman was drafted. He had 6 years to keep the job.
Now Cutler.

Injuries and failure led to the turnover at the position, but in all honesty each guy was given more than enough opportunity.
Harbaugh-87 to 93.
Kramer had 94 to 98
McCown had 99/2000
Miller earned a shot off the bench for 2 years and ultimately couldnt stay on the field.
Grossman had 2003-2008
Cutler, 2009-2015.

I dont see where any of the designated guys were launched prematurely.. as a matter of fact, some of them stuck too long.

Grossman missed most of 2003-2005 and played like 1 game in 2008. he was also benched for half of 2007, his only real year was 2006, and you got half a season of good play and half a season of bad. some people here insist that's better than anything Cutler's ever done too. god bless them.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Grossman missed most of 2003-2005 and played like 1 game in 2008. he was also benched for half of 2007, his only real year was 2006, and you got half a season of good play and half a season of bad. some people here insist that's better than anything Cutler's ever done too. god bless them.

Kramer was the only starter before Cutler that consistently saw the field for more than 1 year since Harbaugh. At some point, the Bears had to stick with a guy and try and make him a franchise QB. Whether it worked or not, I salute them for it.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

He sure did- but being made of peanut brittle is not a reason to keep someone around.
As for 08, epic failure on his part. It was a straight up competition to beat out neckbeard and he lost.

The point remains- he had from 2003-2008 to hang on to the job.
The 08 season specifically is the one I was implying to in the last line about sticking around too long... both him and orton sucked, either one would have been fine, and they should have brought someone, anyone in to challenge. Instead of Loser vs. Loser, it could have been Loser vs. wildcard.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kramer was the only starter before Cutler that consistently saw the field for more than 1 year since Harbaugh. At some point, the Bears had to stick with a guy and try and make him a franchise QB. Whether it worked or not, I salute them for it.

That is the thing- they did stick with Grossman. Stewart, Hutchinson, Orton, Chandler, Krenzel, Quinn, and Griese are all bodies thrown in while waiting for Rex to develop or recover.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
That is the thing- they did stick with Grossman. Stewart, Hutchinson, Orton, Chandler, Krenzel, Quinn, and Griese are all bodies thrown in while waiting for Rex to develop or recover.

They stuck with him but they knew after 07 that he wasn't a good QB. Should they have released either him or Orton in 2008? Probably. But that really isn't the point I was making. At some point, the Bears had to try and tailor a team around a guy they felt could be a franchise QB. That means, giving him more than a few years as the starter to try and work. That happened to be Cutler.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They stuck with him but they knew after 07 that he wasn't a good QB. Should they have released either him or Orton in 2008? Probably. But that really isn't the point I was making. At some point, the Bears had to try and tailor a team around a guy they felt could be a franchise QB. That means, giving him more than a few years as the starter to try and work. That happened to be Cutler.

To the bolded, absolutely Didnt matter who.

As for sticking with Jay- Emery made that a moot point the last couple of years. The options were severely limited.
Building the offense that he had around him in 2013 and 2014, seeing the lack of success, and seeing the executive decision to handcuff him in 2015 is all you need to know about moving forward with him. He is a placeholder that can function, but not near good enough to stand pat at the position.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Options tend to be rather limited for the vast majority of teams. Some don't have a any, let alone a viable option.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Options tend to be rather severely limited and the vast majority of teams. Some don't have a a viable, let alone a viable option.
At some point, every team has a viable option. Not all make the right choices. Look at those who haven't made the right choices and you'll see some of the most mismanaged teams in the league.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It wasn't a bad decision to trade for Cutler. It was a series of bad decisions afterwards that fucked things up. They fucked around with a cheap ass untalented line. They fucked around with shitty smurf receivers. And then a series of bad offensive coordinators anchored by a head coach who knew nothing about putting together an offense.

All the while, a pretty good quarterback took a crap load of heat, some of which was deserved but at least half wasn't. ANd yeah, I bought into all of the shit leveled at Cutler. I admit it. But looking back at it, he never had a chance to be successful. THe Special person Bears management did it all. Put it all on Cutler and never gave him a chance to succeed. WHo knows? In a regime with a professional football guy in charge that hires a guy who can put together a total team, including a legit offense, Cutler could have become a pro bowl quarterback and the Bears could have won a championship or two.

What I kind of like about Cutler is that, through all of it, he never gave up. He was like bullet proof. Hey, Jay, this is your new offensive coordinator, Mike Tice. He couldn't put an offensive line in front of you worth a shit, but hey we are going to let him call plays, okay? So Jay just goes out on the field, gets the crap kicked out of him, never bitches, waits until the fucked up Bears hire another new coordinator, a new head coach, a new GM. Like him or not, but Jay is a good soldier. A good soldier whose leaders are fucking idiots and he does what he can to survive in spite of them.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the first of a nine-part series, ChicagoBears.com takes an in-depth look at the Bears’ quarterback position heading into the 2016 offseason.

More...

Can this thread morph into 9 threads, making it a nine-part threadries?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the main reason that it wasn't a bad decision to trade for Cutler was because Jerry Angelo would have been in charge of using the 1st round picks that were given in the trade. Has Cutler's performance the last several years warranted giving up two #1s? Of course not. Has Cutler's performance the last few years justified Cliff Stein making Cutler the highest paid player in the NFL? Of course not.

The story of Jay Cutler is independent of all the BS excuses. He never took the "next step" with Chicago. The problems he had during his first few years in Denver are still the same problems he has a decade later. When the Bears traded for him, Cutler was a starting NFL QB who had the tools to be a special player in the NFL...in 2015, Cutler is a starting NFL QB. That's about all there is to the story. Its not that complicated.

This and though it looked better last year and even if it's more than one year thing, he's not worth it without stretching the field. You don't need a Jay Cutler as a game manager. Granted that it may be mitigated by who he had to throw to but until he can put a couple/few good years up in row while actually challenging a D, he's still the Jay we know. I think things may be looking up a bit but at this age you're going to be looking for a replacement anyway. His diabeetus isn't going to help him extend his career ether.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the main reason that it wasn't a bad decision to trade for Cutler was because Jerry Angelo would have been in charge of using the 1st round picks that were given in the trade. Has Cutler's performance the last several years warranted giving up two #1s? Of course not. Has Cutler's performance the last few years justified Cliff Stein making Cutler the highest paid player in the NFL? Of course not.

The story of Jay Cutler is independent of all the BS excuses. He never took the "next step" with Chicago. The problems he had during his first few years in Denver are still the same problems he has a decade later. When the Bears traded for him, Cutler was a starting NFL QB who had the tools to be a special player in the NFL...in 2015, Cutler is a starting NFL QB. That's about all there is to the story. Its not that complicated.

No it isn't. Cutler was left on an island without a way out. Cutler had a good offensive line in Denver. Except for parts of a couple of season, he had shit offensive lines and for the most part shit receivers. If you want to be fair, then criticize Cutler all that you want but be also take a real examination of what he had around him offensively. That is what I am saying.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's interesting to see a lot of mock drafts have Lynch(and a few others have Wentz) available when the Bears pick 11, and then have the Bears pick a different position. Pace is not going to pass up a QB if one of those 2 are available

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No it isn't. Cutler was left on an island without a way out. Cutler had a good offensive line in Denver. Except for parts of a couple of season, he had shit offensive lines and for the most part shit receivers. If you want to be fair, then criticize Cutler all that you want but be also take a real examination of what he had around him offensively. That is what I am saying.

And he was still mediocre.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And he was still mediocre.

Maybe but it is hard to tell. I think he is a bit above average and a decent starting NFL QB. I also think that he improved last season in terms of pocket awareness, not taking sacks, and moving in and out of the pocket. But also, to me, he really hasn't had many occasions where he has had a full set of tools to work with as in a decent offensive line and NFL caliber receivers on the field at the same time.