Focusing on Bears quarterback position

Ron Burgundy

In the first of a nine-part series, ChicagoBears.com takes an in-depth look at the Bears’ quarterback position heading into the 2016 offseason.

More...

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks for yet another cutler thread, Ron. Dorkchop.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Says the person who started a Cutler thread.

It needed to be said. Only meatballs think cutty got snubbed from the probowl.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
giphy.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I could have read this article almost verbatim without even visiting the link. Typical Larry Mayer fluff. Everyone is great, everyone supports everyone and everyone is excited about next season. How does this tedious fart still have a job?

(that's a rhetorical question - I realize it's because he's an insider fluff writer employed by the bears to write fluff about the Bears)

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It is a solid article overall, boiled down to 2 snippets-
he had arguably his best season since joining the Bears in 2009
The turnovers were down and he was athletic and extended plays with his feet

Both true.

What he did this year was keep the games respectable... didnt lose any and didnt win any himself. Had a great st. louis game, Solid second green bay game, a couple iffy ones.

So is Fox and crew settling for status guo and managing Jay like he has been, or are they going to give him baby steps back to the more vertical game next year?

Who knows? Who knows if this is any different than 2011 where he went right back to turnover prone jay in 2012? Maybe he is used the same way next year? Maybe he learned valuable lessons?
I think there is a good chance at any of those outcomes. We will just have to wait and see. Jay has been far too volatile over his career for me to really feel great about 2016, but again, we will see.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Both true.

What he did this year was keep the games respectable... didnt lose any and didnt win any himself. Had a great st. louis game, Solid second green bay game, a couple iffy ones.

So is Fox and crew settling for status guo and managing Jay like he has been, or are they going to give him baby steps back to the more vertical game next year?

Who knows? Who knows if this is any different than 2011 where he went right back to turnover prone jay in 2012? Maybe he is used the same way next year? Maybe he learned valuable lessons?
I think there is a good chance at any of those outcomes. We will just have to wait and see. Jay has been far too volatile over his career for me to really feel great about 2016, but again, we will see.

Nothing iffy about game 16!! He flat out sucked.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I could have read this article almost verbatim without even visiting the link. Typical Larry Mayer fluff. Everyone is great, everyone supports everyone and everyone is excited about next season. How does this tedious fart still have a job?

(that's a rhetorical question - I realize it's because he's an insider fluff writer employed by the bears to write fluff about the Bears)

No one likes reading critical stuff about the Bears anyway.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

Both true.

Iffy games with a terrible offense around him.

Cutler's heir needs to be drafted immediately, but Cutler was far from being the biggest issue on this team last year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Iffy games with a terrible offense around him.

Cutler's heir needs to be drafted immediately, but Cutler was far from being the biggest issue on this team last year.

Fact is.....jay doesn't lift the level of this team. Look around the league at some of teams who have lesser "O" than us, however their Qb's lift them.
Bottom line....we don't win with jay at qb.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Fact is.....jay doesn't lift the level of this team. Look around the league at some of teams who have lesser "O" than us, however their Qb's lift them.

If only we had RGIII...his inspirational quotes would surely lift the offense to glory!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I guess you missed the Seattle game.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post
If only we had RGIII...his inspirational quotes would surely lift the offense to glory!

Fact is.....we don't win with jay at qb.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

We're on the same page. I look at someone like Tom Brady, who has no help around him, and he still manages to make his offense one of the best in the league.

Cutler was put in a similar situation this year (no help), and still managed to play at a pretty good level.

My point is that Cutler is never going to raise a team of nobodies up like Brady can, but Cutler is far from the biggest woe on this team. Draft a QB this year, let him get some experience for the next year or two, and then put him under center after we get some respectable talent on the field.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess you missed the Seattle game.

Being better than (most) grossly incompetent backups doesn't mean he lifts the level of the team. I hardly think the efforts of talented offensive players like Forte, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett or Olsen have been elevated by stellar or even consistently solid QB play into anything that's ever been regarded as upper tier or good. A lot of QBs who people compare unfavorably to Cutler around here have done more with less.