CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Are they giving him a cavity search? Creepy headline is creepy.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We have him already in Garcia for a lot, lot less dollars. I'd rather have Fowler and I don't want Fowler.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We have him already in Garcia for a lot, lot less dollars. I'd rather have Fowler and I don't want Fowler.

I don't blame you. The Dodgers are trying to get out from underneath that contract. The guy's very one dimensional....he only had 45 ABs vs lefties last year because he can't hit them. Even with today's inflated salaries $18 mill a year for a platoon OF is nuts....and he's still got 3 yrs left on it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Way too over-priced for a below average player. THey need someone better than he is.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Great, let's add another "plan b" guy that we'll be stuck with because of his ridiculous contract.

A 34 year old RFer who can't hit lefties making $18,000,000 annually.

What is up with the White Sox front office?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anybody here even have a remote clue about how baseball works?

Contracts like Ethiers only get moved because it isn't working out, the team has money and better options, and is willing to pay to move them to a cheap team with prospects. The Sox will give up something minimal, and the Dodgers will pay at least half that contract.

Of course the Sox are interested, they are cheap ass bargain hunters ready to take advantage of LA's endless revenue stream and get a cost reduced clutch player with some pop.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't make any sense for the Sox. If the Dodgers ate a significant portion of his deal it wouldn't be bad, but that defeats the purpose from the Dodgers perspective. I'd rather have Fowler than Ethier.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Does anybody here even have a remote clue about how baseball works?

Contracts like Ethiers only get moved because it isn't working out, the team has money and better options, and is willing to pay to move them to a cheap team with prospects. The Sox will give up something minimal, and the Dodgers will pay at least half that contract.

Of course the Sox are interested, they are cheap ass bargain hunters ready to take advantage of LA's endless revenue stream and get a cost reduced clutch player with some pop.

Yeah, we know how it works. Problem is, we're not stupid. This team has some major problems that only real talent can fix. I don't care how cheap Ethier is, he's just a warm body. The Sox can do better.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah, we know how it works. Problem is, we're not stupid. This team has some major problems that only real talent can fix. I don't care how cheap Ethier is, he's just a warm body. The Sox can do better.

At this point in the offseason though, they are pretty limited with their options. Not too many teams are selling major league caliber OF, and the only guy left to play that role via FA is Fowler I believe.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
At this point in the offseason though, they are pretty limited with their options. Not too many teams are selling major league caliber OF, and the only guy left to play that role via FA is Fowler I believe.

If the White Sox want a top caliber OF they can land him pretty easily. They just need to send over a quality pitcher.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ethier is clutch though, with runners on base. Isn't that what you are claiming one of our issues is? Taking money out of it, as we don't know yet but I assume the 200,000,000 club is eating the contract, not the team that never paid anybody.

It makes baseball sense to platoon with Garcia and pinch hit. As weak as the Sox outfield is the fourth spot is sad too, so the depth is a plus and the lefty righty situation improves.

Fowler impedes the development of Garcia more because he switches and takes too many starts away.

Ethier got paid that to keep him from leaving for a reason. The current Dodgers are very mismanaged and I'm all for acquiring their mistake at a reduced cost.

Bottom line is Etheir and Fowler both improve the ball club a little bit, and improve the 4 deep OF a lot in the event of injury.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ethier is clutch though, with runners on base. Isn't that what you are claiming one of our issues is? Taking money out of it, as we don't know yet but I assume the 200,000,000 club is eating the contract, not the team that never paid anybody.

It makes baseball sense to platoon with Garcia and pinch hit. As weak as the Sox outfield is the fourth spot is sad too, so the depth is a plus and the lefty righty situation improves.

Fowler impedes the development of Garcia more because he switches and takes too many starts away.

Ethier got paid that to keep him from leaving for a reason. The current Dodgers are very mismanaged and I'm all for acquiring their mistake at a reduced cost.

Bottom line is Etheir and Fowler both improve the ball club a little bit, and improve the 4 deep OF a lot in the event of injury.

But you can;t take the money out of it. Sorry, but it's a massive overpay. NO THANKS!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But you can;t take the money out of it. Sorry, but it's a massive overpay. NO THANKS!

Yes, yes you can Brett. Look up Josh Hamilton, and notice his salary is paid by both Houston and the Angels. The Dodgers are the new Yankees with their TV deal and Magic Johnson, they can eat most of the money or I guarantee you the White Sox would not even be sniffing.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, yes you can Brett. Look up Josh Hamilton, and notice his salary is paid by both Houston and the Angels. The Dodgers are the new Yankees with their TV deal and Magic Johnson, they can eat most of the money or I guarantee you the White Sox would not even be sniffing.

You sniff before you know if it smells bad or not. Sorry, you're wrong on this. It ain't happening. And that's a positive for Hahn.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You sniff before you know if it smells bad or not. Sorry, you're wrong on this. It ain't happening. And that's a positive for Hahn.

I would prefer to sign Fowler for 5 years and have two problems solved in the foreseeable future. Eaton is a good 2 hitter. Put Fowler in RF. Let Garcia rest guys. Put a power bat in LF when Cabrera can be moved. Bat Cabrera 9.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would prefer to sign Fowler for 5 years and have two problems solved in the foreseeable future. Eaton is a good 2 hitter. Put Fowler in RF. Let Garcia rest guys. Put a power bat in LF when Cabrera can be moved. Bat Cabrera 9.

1) You can't bat Melky 9.
2) Fowler for five would be an awful deal, even at $10/mil per. The cost in dollars and picks is too costly.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Fowler is a bad outfielder and has a weak arm. I'd rather stick with Garcia than him and weaken an already weak outfield They need to make a trade for someone good not the guys left-overs mentioned in this thread. I'm preparing for another weak team because Reinny is a shit owner and Robin is a weak manager.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I thought we already went over this:

1) Fowler is not worth the money or 1st round draft pick for the Sox.
2) Ethier is not an everyday player. Garcia is not an everyday player. The Sox need an everyday RF who can hit for power, i.e. Carlos Gonzalez, Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton. You don't "upgrade" the worst OF in baseball with some 2nd tier guy on a multi-year contract. All that does is set the organization back another year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I thought we already went over this:

1) Fowler is not worth the money or 1st round draft pick for the Sox.
2) Ethier is not an everyday player. Garcia is not an everyday player. The Sox need an everyday RF who can hit for power, i.e. Carlos Gonzalez, Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Upton. You don't "upgrade" the worst OF in baseball with some 2nd tier guy on a multi-year contract. All that does is set the organization back another year.

It's protected so it is a second round pick, but I agree still.