Miller looking for big time pay increase

PickSix

Liked Posts:
176.gif

I know right? How dare he try to take hard earned money out of our pockets just so he can be a little richer!!! What an A-hole!!!

Granted he's just an employee of a corporation, much like many of us, but unlike us he has already suffered multiple injuries on the job that will impact how many years he can earn that type of money and his quality of life after the employer no longer pays him.

Adding to that whatever the team pays one player never really impacts what the fans pay, so when fans get mad about players wanting to be paid it's like the fans are actually getting defensive or over protective about the wealth of the owners, not there own. It's like our personal jealously against millionaires somehow puts us on the side of billionaires...

But yay, screw him. Why can't he just be happy to go out there, risking major injury so I might buy his jersey someday (which would again make the billionaire richer!).

Seriously you idiots that think the players aren't even entitled to ask for more money are probably so close minded you can't even conceptualize what that person is going through.

You do realize that there is a team salary cap that a GM has to allocate out, don't you? Your rant is dumb.
He has done nothing to even dream about getting this kind of payday.
I dare you to go walk into your bosses office today and ask for twice what you are worth. We are all free agents. Let me how that goes for your career.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Seems like anything over about $3mil a year and your better off retaining Bennett on his current contract.

I thought maybe $4mil/2 years would be about right for Miller.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You do realize that there is a team salary cap that a GM has to allocate out, don't you? Your rant is dumb.
He has done nothing to even dream about getting this kind of payday.
I dare you to go walk into your bosses office today and ask for twice what you are worth. We are all free agents. Let me how that goes for your career.

Per sportrac the Bears were $3.6M under the salary cap in 2015. It's important to know that cap room does move to the next year so it can be used, but I'm pretty sure at the end of the 2016 season the Bears will have additional cap room again.

What does that extra cap space get you? Did that $3.6M in space help get a win on the field? No. It's not an exact measure, but was that money that the ownership essentially didn't have to accuont for as an expense? Yes. With the revenue number being what it is does that mean the ownership will keep a bit more? Yes. Will you as a fan see that money either as a better product on the field or in ticket prices being lowered? No.

IMO if teams were to spend to the cap then it's more of a fight for limited resources. Teams are choosing to not pay these players because they would rather have cap space, which ultimately the fans never get the benefit of.

Last year there were 3 teams with $20M+ in cap space available (Jax. Cle, and Tenn). They all sucked. Meanwhile the 2 teams closest to the limit, Arizona and Seattle, just happened to be two of the better teams in the league.

If you have a talented player on your team that can help you win you should pay them. Granted players will always ask for more, but as Windy pointed out that's the negotiation process. If a player is a FA and is getting offered more from another team then why should they stay? Clearly the other team wants them more, so they are entitiled to get paid more in a place they are appreciated more.

As a fan if you feel that player can make your team better why do you care how much he's being paid? Seriously. If the team is winning who cares what he's being paid. If they are losing then they can easily cut him for underperforming. These contract have little long term guarantee, so you can easily make that move when needed, but whenever a player threatens to hold out fans act like the player just cheated on them.

Let's use my Eagles as an example. Jeremy Maclin left the team because he was ~$1M/season 'too expensive'. Eagles finished the season with $9.5M under the cap (and $18.9 in dead cap space). Maclin's cap number for 2015 was $3.4M. Last year we lead the league in drops with 66, didn't have a real impact WR, lost twice to Washington in a very winable NFCE race and are going through a complete overhaul.

Maclin was ~$1M/season too much... Okay.... As a fan I'd rather they have paid the money and not put me through such a shitty season.

Let's take my Maclin example and look to apply it to Miller or maybe a closer comparison, Jeffery. What's $1M/season if that player gives you a better chance of getting a win on Sunday? Would you rather have 'cap space' for future contract than talent on the field? I get you want to align cap space with future expenses like a franchise QBs contract or another big contract coming due, but that ~1M/season impacts the quality of the product this season, not in future years where it might make a difference.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So possibly no Bennett and Miller....nice.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
176.gif

I know right? How dare he try to take hard earned money out of our pockets just so he can be a little richer!!! What an A-hole!!!

Granted he's just an employee of a corporation, much like many of us, but unlike us he has already suffered multiple injuries on the job that will impact how many years he can earn that type of money and his quality of life after the employer no longer pays him.

Adding to that whatever the team pays one player never really impacts what the fans pay, so when fans get mad about players wanting to be paid it's like the fans are actually getting defensive or over protective about the wealth of the owners, not there own. It's like our personal jealously against millionaires somehow puts us on the side of billionaires...

But yay, screw him. Why can't he just be happy to go out there, risking major injury so I might buy his jersey someday (which would again make the billionaire richer!).

Seriously you idiots that think the players aren't even entitled to ask for more money are probably so close minded you can't even conceptualize what that person is going through.

I have no problem what so ever with a player trying to get the most money possible. I just don't want the Bears to overpay for a player of his caliber.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Always liked his potential and was happy to see him come around but nah. His durability and consistency hasn't warranted it. Let Tampa overpay him for a hot streak. I want to keep him but I'm not paying him the average of Bennett's salary. In the league since 2009, 900 yds total. 34 receptions this year which had a ton to do with all our other catchers being down.

This. The one year Miller doesn't get injured, he benefits from every other receiver being injured. Also, 34 catches is not that impressive considering the circumstances.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
$5M /year?????
And everyone thought Bennett was the crazy mother fuggin' TE on the Bears.
Bet ya'all didn't see that one coming.

This is the hand the Miller is likely to fill first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1ke

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Was the Bennett practice field dustup ever reported before? I only vaguely remember him surprisingly being held out of that game due to an "injury" and him not watching the game on TV at home.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-zach-miller-bears-new-contract-20160202-story.html

750x422

There have been some robust pay days for tight ends since the end of the season and while those deals are out of the realm of what Zach Miller could command, the veteran is still seeking a big contract.

Miller, who had a breakout second half of the season for the Chicago Bears, is asking for $5 million per year in a new contract, sources with knowledge of the situation told the Tribune. Unless that target figure drops in negotiations, it’s difficult to imagine a deal getting done before he becomes an unrestricted free agent in March.

Every player is going to aim high when there is an opportunity to be paid and Miller’s story has been well documented. He had not appeared in a regular-season game since 2011 before playing in 15 games this past season. He missed the Week 17 finale with a toe injury. Miller, a sixth-round pick of the Jaguars in 2009 from Nebraska-Omaha, earned $660,000 last season. At 31, this could be his best shot at a lucrative contract.

The Chiefs just extended their Pro Bowl tight end Travis Kelce with a $46 million, five-year deal and Zach Ertz received $42.5 million in new money in a five-year extension with the Eagles. They’re younger than Miller with less injury history and higher upside.

But Miller proved that when healthy he has the ability to be a productive target for quarterback Jay Cutler. Miller led the Bears with five receiving touchdowns and caught 34 passes for 439 yards (12.9 average). He spent much of the first half of the season serving as an H-back with a very limited role as a receiver before offensive coordinator Adam Gase began using him more downfield.

The Bears have decisions to make at the tight end position. Martellus Bennett, who will be 29 next month, has one year remaining on a four-year contract that averages $5.1 million per season, pretty much the range Miller is seeking.

Bennett skipped the voluntary offseason program last year in a big to get a raise and then had an episode on the practice field before the Thanksgiving night game at Green Bay that rubbed those at Halas Hall the wrong way. A rib injury limited Bennett to 11 games and he produced 53 catches for 439 yards and three touchdowns, his worst season statistically since 2011.

The Bears don’t have any significant experience at the position outside of these two. Khari Lee, acquired in a trade with the Houston Texans at final cuts, played in all 16 games as a rookie but was used sparingly and caught only one pass.

Just because Miller is seeking more than the Bears want to pay doesn’t mean a deal can’t be accomplished. Sometimes it helps the team for a player to venture into free agency to find out what his true market is. Of course, a lot of times that path leads to the player heading elsewhere. It’s worth wondering if Gase, now the coach of the Miami Dolphins, will have interest. Miami got limited production from Jordan Cameron at the position last season.

Miller expressed optimism at the end of 2015 that he would return to the Bears. The way things look now, he will probably become a free agent before a future home is determined.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bennett is still under contract next season so unless he gets traded, he will still be a Bear. I think we should hold onto him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Miller but the man has to stay healthy... He still has not proven that he can play a complete season. Honestly I'd rather have Marty B without broken ribs over Miller any day of the week.

I want both of them. They have different talents and both contribute to the offense. They have money. Spend it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed, but in the NFL as well as any organization you have to prove that you can consistently perform at a high level, in the NFL that means performing at a high level and playing the whole season as well. I mean sure you could cite Cutler's contract as highly paid but Miller isn't a QB.

The guy played for peanuts last year and proved himself. Why shouldn't he be rewarded with a decent contract? I just do not get some folks who are even cheaper than the skin flint NFL owners:(

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not a rewards program. You get paid for expected returns. End of story.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. These seems to be a continuing theme...people not understanding that cap space is just a number on a ledger sheet. There is no way the Bears should have ANY cap space, considering how poorly they've drafted in recent years. They need to be maxing out the cap in an effort to bring in servicable players. It was no coincidence that one of the first (only?) moves made by Ryan Pace was to remove Cliff Stein from his salary cap responsibilities and give them to Joey Laine, because Stein had no idea how to manage the salary cap in the present-day NFL. Its like people want remydat (is he still here?) to be the GM and simply cut every player under contract to clear cap space...then in 5 years the Bears can claim the Cliff Stein Cap Space Trophy.

Do we get any bonus cap space with that trophy?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed. These seems to be a continuing theme...people not understanding that cap space is just a number on a ledger sheet. There is no way the Bears should have ANY cap space, considering how poorly they've drafted in recent years. They need to be maxing out the cap in an effort to bring in servicable players. It was no coincidence that one of the first (only?) moves made by Ryan Pace was to remove Cliff Stein from his salary cap responsibilities and give them to Joey Laine, because Stein had no idea how to manage the salary cap in the present-day NFL. Its like people want remydat (is he still here?) to be the GM and simply cut every player under contract to clear cap space...then in 5 years the Bears can claim the Cliff Stein Cap Space Trophy.

Yep, he's here. And still writing essays that no one reads.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yep, he's here. And still writing essays that no one reads.

If his essays are part of therapy then they were never really written for us anyway...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
$5M /year?????
And everyone thought Bennett was the crazy mother fuggin' TE on the Bears.
Bet ya'all didn't see that one coming.

This is the hand the Miller is likely to fill first.

Last edited by Urblock; Today at 08:58 AM.
Urblock, you deleted a picture of a handful of Nutella.
This mod thing my be going to your head.:thinking:

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
These players need to stop complaining about pay.

At least he doesn't have to work another job like NFL players did decades ago.

He's got one shot to make some real money. Why shouldn't he take it? He had a good year. Some team will give him something.

Yes, the league minimum is 20x what most people make, but most people aren't professional athletes. And in his world, he doesn't make much. Again, he should take every possible chance he has to get his. Especially with his injury history, he knows this might be his only shot.