Trevathan to Chicago?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly, if we don't get this done with everything that's in our favour, something will have gone badly wrong somewhere.

Same thing was said about Michael Bennett. His brother is here. The GM showed clear interest. Player was a huge need and great fit. Seattle also had to worry about paying Wilson, Wagner, Lynch, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, etc.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Well that's pretty much a lock that we land him now...lol

Wonder if Fox can poach any others off that Defense,I'm sure a lot of them would love to play for him again especially if they win on Sunday .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can't argue with that. Just not wanting you guys and myself to get our hopes up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I get it.

But we also have never been the big stack at the table. Even in years where the Bears spent big, they rarely had 40% of the cap available to spend.

This is uncharted territory for everyone.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Here is a recent scouting report on Trevathan.

The guy who wrote this scouting report on Trevathan also did it for a few other Bronco veterans. It is quite thorough. Curious if based on this report if posters agree he worth the FA money.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/6/6/8072125/scouting-the-broncos-vets-linebacker-danny-trevathan

Due to injury Danny Trevathan's 2014 was cut short so I watched both his 2013 and 2014 seasons to get a larger sample size of his abilities. Also I won't have any great gifs by Mike but I did try to include picture breakdowns, not perfect but I hope they help illustrate my points, my apologizes ahead of time.

*This isn't a predictor of future success. It's an assessment of their ability currently; it's how they performed in the past.*

Acceleration/Burst: Trevathan isn't a fast player but he has good initial speed, moving quickly over short distance, which makes him a solid sideline to sideline player, which really helps against both the screen game and outside runs. This is also benefited by in his reaction time, he's able to diagnose what the offense is doing quickly and from there uses that short area quickness to close in on the play. As I said earlier he doesn't have great top end speed so in a foot chase he'll likely lose but within the box he has the speed and burst to make any play.
- GRADE: 7.3

Read and React: One of the most vital traits for any interior linebacker is the ability to read the quarterback, figure out the play and then quickly execute a shutdown. This is probably one of the rarest traits for any defensive player to possess, at least at the high levels of skill. Luckily Trevathan isn't a simple minded player, he's got a good mind and while he isn't at the mental level of a legend like Brian Urlacher he's able to make defensive calls fairly quickly and rarely makes mental mistakes.

One sign of a player who puts in the effort is if they bite on play action or draws and it seems that Trevathan has done a good job improving in this area as he bit on these trick plays about 10% to 15% of the time, playing very patiently and reading the QB rather than following the distractions.

To wrap this topic up let's look at a play against the Cardinals. It starts as a play action which Trevathan (in the blue circle) moves towards (the ball will be in the red circle) but doesn't buy into it fully, he realizes what is going on and shifts back towards the play. He's engaged with a blocker but uses his fluidity to continuing sliding toward the play, breaking off his defender at the perfect time to hit the tight end and slow him enough for help to arrive and the play ends. This play shows how Trevathan can read the play and quarterback and then remain active on the field despite being blocked most of the play.

- GRADE: 8.0

Run Defense: With this series there always seems to be an area that I totally misjudge a player and they prove me very wrong, Danny Trevathan's run defense was this area. From watching him play initially I figured he had struggled against the run but in 2013 he was actually quite dominant. As has been, and will continue to be, referenced in this report Trevathan has exceptional decision making and short distance speed and against the run this is incredibly beneficial since it allows him to have the vision to see the play as it develops and dive into the lane and contain the run before it goes anywhere. His quick reactions also make him exceptional at stopping plays prior to the line of scrimmage with almost a quarter of his run defense tackles taking place at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Sadly he had his fair share of troubles despite having the mental ability to play the run well, he had real trials with finish tackles, this is sadly big enough to really impact his grade in this area, which is disappointing because on the majority of plays he made the correct read and quickly dove into the fray but his trouble with tackling, which will be discussed later, caused issues that can't be overlooked.

For an example of this let's look at the Broncos second game against the Chargers in 2013. On this play Trevathan sees the hole open and also sees Antonio Gates coming to block him. He is engaged and is blocked out of the play until right when the running back Oliver gets close and he breaks free and makes the tackle. It's a beautiful play.

- GRADE: 7.1

Pass Defense: When we think of Trevathan's greatest strength as a linebacker his pass defense usually comes to mind. Pass defense is usually seen as critical for a player in his position and for the most part he lives up to that ideal with strong decision making, good ability to read a quarterback and significant lateral quickness. He's at his best in zone coverage when his average speed isn't exposed and he can counter what he sees, allowing him to swiftly make a play on the receiver or the ball. As I said before when tasked with one on one coverage he struggled at times against quicker players who could beat him, especially on go routes. This was something we saw offensive coordinators take advantage of in the second half of 2013 especially. It wasn't all doom and gloom though, Trevathan was excellent for the most part and far above average when tasked with zoning. I hope that as part of his recovery he's been trying to improve his overall speed as well so he can take his pass defense beyond just good into the great he's shown flashes of.
- GRADE: 7.4

MUST READS
How the linebackers can attack the "A" gap
Trevathan feels ready for 2015
Tackling: Tackling form has been an issue for Trevathan, struggling with the wrap up. I initially thought it was purely bad form but after watching enough games I found part of it was upper body strength, Trevathan had problems maintaining tackles that seemed finished but defenders were able to break free. This became more obvious as the film review continued. He didn't have terrible form, though not perfect, he just struggled with dragging opponents down before he lost his grip. This was frustrating to watch, and likely frustrating to experience for him and the coaches, at times and hopefully in his rehab the past year he's also worked on improving his overall strength.
- GRADE: 6.4

Pass Rush: Trevathan makes an effective pass rusher for reasons we've discussed before, his initial step and his ability to read and react, both of which help him get off the snap quickly but also help him slip into the gap more easily. In 2013 he rushed the passer just over 60 times and notched 2 sacks, 3 hits and 14 pressures, meaning he applied pressure in some form on 32.7% of the times he rushed the passer. It's a small sample size of plays but he was very effective. Now he isn't a bull rusher or possessing a great spin move but on blitz calls he has the speed and intelligence to get to the quarterback by attacking gaps rather than beating blockers.
- GRADE: 7.9

OVERALL GRADE: 7.3

Summary

Danny Trevathan is a young player with a very high football IQ that is limited by some of his physical abilities. He has a physical ceiling that isn't a high apogee but don't knock him too much for it because he makes the most of his talent with great mental acuity and work ethic. A lot will depend on how his rehabilitation went and if he's able to fully recover but if he can return to his 2013 form with more experience I have high hopes. Trevathan should do well in Wade Phillips system with his skill set. Also one thing that is my new favorite move Trevathan has is he'll draw in a blocker while keeping his eye on the play and break the block at the perfect time, both examples I'm including show this and it's a high intelligence move.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It would be foolhardy to give him that much money given that this team is not just a few pieces away. We are very far away.

And there are probably about 15 linebackers available in free agency who would all be more talented than any ILB we currently have. Trevathan is nice, but we should not be handing the guy a blank check.

I think that depending the money involved, I think that over-paying a good player a bit is better than trying to sign an iffy player or two and end up failing. In one case you are over-paying by a slim margin but ending up better than failing at a position or two.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True.

But this is where a couple things come into play for the Bears.

1. Fox brought him into the league, and as a late round pick you don't forget that.

2. Fangio makes his ILBs into stars, the defense is built for them.

Good points:)

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Same thing was said about Michael Bennett. His brother is here. The GM showed clear interest. Player was a huge need and great fit. Seattle also had to worry about paying Wilson, Wagner, Lynch, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, etc.

Did Bennett ever show any interest in the Bears, though? I know everyone wanted him here and Marty lead the bandwagon to bring him here, but I don't recall Michael ever saying anything about coming here. Not saying it didn't happen, just that I don't remember.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Did Bennett ever show any interest in the Bears, though? I know everyone wanted him here and Marty lead the bandwagon to bring him here, but I don't recall Michael ever saying anything about coming here. Not saying it didn't happen, just that I don't remember.

i remember martellus was recruiting him hard to come to chicago and while emery didnt say who he was going after, the likelihood was michael, because once he re-signed emery was very quick to sign houston to that relatively large contract.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
i remember martellus was recruiting him hard to come to chicago and while emery didnt say who he was going after, the likelihood was michael, because once he re-signed emery was very quick to sign houston to that relatively large contract.
It was reported that Bennett had an offer on the table from the bears and he was deciding between Seattle and the bears.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure Trevathan could beat Shea in arm wrestling with his dick.

It'll come down to cock push-ups

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
If we sign Trevathan and then Myles Jack falls to us at 11, do you take him?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I do like Trevathan but I think people are acting like this is a sure thing. Honestly, as of right now, I would not put the likelihood of him being a Bear in 2016 any higher than 50%. Too many things can happen.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do like Trevathan but I think people are acting like this is a sure thing. Honestly, as of right now, I would not put the likelihood of him being a Bear in 2016 any higher than 50%. Too many things can happen.

I think it is higher.

Oakland and Chicago make a ton of sense and have the cash.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Trevathan and Jackson both love Fox, that would be big time if the Bears were able to land both players. Big time upgrade at ILB and DE are needed and they both fit the bill.