Espn 30 for 30

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
remember that Vikings game like it was yesterday.

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just finished watching this. Fuck it was good. I'm streaming tears here and I don't care to admit it.

I can only remember fragments of that season since I was so young, but I do remember where I was when I read of Walter's passing.

Greatest. Team. Ever.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really poorly done IMO with the exception of the Buddy Ryan/Singletary angle.

For a two hour doc it was very disjointed, skimmed over way too much, and didn't really dive into stuff that everyone didn't already know.

I mean, for Christ sakes they literally showed nothing from the Super Bowl. They should have dove into that stretch in November that was so historic(including the 44-0 drubbing of Dallas, maybe one of the most dominating victories in NFL history) etc. at one point during a "highlight" package of it they showed a Singletary hit on a Saints player from the early 90's. Just really sloppy.

I feel like this was '85 Bears 101 when for a two hour doc it should have been a PhD level look at the team.

Was pretty disappointed with it.

Last edited:

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
i thought it would be another rehashed 85 bears documentary but it wasn't

they focused on buddy instead of ditka..lol and everybody took a shit on ditka at some point during their interview

and the buddy ryan letter...almost got a tear from me

BlackBear

Liked Posts:
I loved it I think it was more about the men than the game. If they went in depth I know it would take loner than two hours. This angle was better you can always see highlights not always hear it from those who lived it directly.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i thought it would be another rehashed 85 bears documentary but it wasn't

they focused on buddy instead of ditka..lol and everybody took a shit on ditka at some point during their interview

and the buddy ryan letter...almost got a tear from me

How wasn't it?

What new info came from this one? That Hampton smashed a projector too?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I loved it I think it was more about the men than the game. If they went in depth I know it would take loner than two hours. This angle was better you can always see highlights not always hear it from those who lived it directly.

But everything they said has already been heard before. What new information was presented here? We had a thread on here years ago covering the Dent bitching about Flutie deal.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
What new info came from this one? That Hampton smashed a projector too?

Didn't watch it as there's some live hockey on drawing my attention, but what other information could possibly come out of that season that hasn't been reported yet? I don't know what other secrets could be left (that the players actually can recall)

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't watch it as there's some live hockey on drawing my attention, but what other information could possibly come out of that season that hasn't been reported yet? I don't know what other secrets could be left (that the players actually can recall)

That's kind of point. How could this thing be "great" if it's just re-hashing the surface level shit we all already know? At times they were just recycling footage from Mike Ditka: A Football Life.

This a two hour doc about what is supposed to be the greatest SB winning team ever and there was actually barely any coverage of that game. It mentions one of the most dominating months in NFL history and barely spends any time on it etc.

The doc left a lot of in depth stuff out there on the table and missed some deep dive attempts.

Production value was shit too. Had Hampton recite his speech about what he'd tell his daughter rather than cutting to the much more emotional and poignant footage of him saying it at the public wake. etc.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
That's kind of point. How could this thing be "great" if it's just re-hashing the surface level shit we all already know? At times they were just recycling footage from Mike Ditka: A Football Life.

This a two hour doc about what is supposed to be the greatest SB winning team ever and there was actually barely any coverage of that game. It mentions one of the most dominating months in NFL history and barely spends any time on it etc.

The doc left a lot of in depth stuff out there on the table and missed some deep dive attempts.

Production value was shit too. Had Hampton recite his speech about what he'd tell his daughter rather than cutting to the much more emotional and poignant footage of him saying it at the public wake. etc.

Got it DVR'd so i'll have to come back to this. From what I saw on social media already, seems like their attempted "deep dive" dealt with Buddy Ryan.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got it DVR'd so i'll have to come back to this. From what I saw on social media already, seems like their attempted "deep dive" dealt with Buddy Ryan.

And if you read my original post:

"Really poorly done IMO with the exception of the Buddy Ryan/Singletary angle."

..and even that they would jump off for HUGE periods of time.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And if you read my original post:

"Really poorly done IMO with the exception of the Buddy Ryan/Singletary angle."

..and even that they would jump off for HUGE periods of time.

Oh I saw that but why would I take your word for it?

:smug:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting point the doc missed:

It spent good portions of the front half of the doc explaining how Ryan was some genius visionary and how the 46 grew and evolved and Ryan could bend and adapt when he needed to. Yet prior to the Miami game Covert tells Ryan that Marino is going to eat them alive if they blitz all day and one additional WR seems to have thrown Ryan for a loop. There was so discussion of the famous conversation about Ditka wanting to play nickel and no real discussion around the defense about why they didn't adjust or why they wouldn't have used Covert as a guy to ask about Marino from. Would have loved to hear Fencik discuss that. But no, instead we get the same old "Lucky bounce TD pass, Ditka vs Ryan "fist fight", "Best Thing That Happened to Us Angle."

Oh and then virtually zero coverage of the Super Bowl Shuffle..maybe the most famous thing about that team. LOL

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also enjoyed the false narrative the doc pushed about the passing game catching up to the running game. The 1985 Bears has one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL that season.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Youre always trying to look to deep for shit. This was a story that had no new info to tell. They knew their target audience. Many agreed this wasn't necessary, but it was made none the less.

I enjoyed it (you didn't and that's ok). Laughed alot. Wasn't the best 30 for 30. But it will be my favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

BlackBear

Liked Posts:
What could Covert tell them about a guy that he played with in college that would have really helped when it was more the scheme the coaches came up with just as much as Marino that beat them? You don't like all the rehashing but wanted to hear about The Shuffle. The 46 was more flawed than Lovie with his cover who when it ran up against top qb's