Espn 30 for 30

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've watched the 30 for 30 on the Bills and the U and enjoyed both. I was expecting more from this.

On a scale of one to ten, I give it nine 'meh's. I doubt there is much you can get from a guy in the shape Ryan is in today, but I was hoping that they would talk more about his relationship with Ditka, especially regarding the Miami game. I am not that interested in any docs about the superbowl specifically - there's not much you can say about a 46-10 game that is not already expressed by the scoreboard. What is interesting is what lead up to that game.

Here's hoping that the Bears get to the superbowl (or at the very least have back to back winning seasons) again in my lifetime.

edit---- For the record I was almost four years old when da bearsh last won da shuperbowl.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I also enjoyed the false narrative the doc pushed about the passing game catching up to the running game. The 1985 Bears has one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL that season.

While I agree about the Ryan at Miami stuff. They were 5th in YPP and 9th in passer rating with McMahon (7th of those with 300 attempts) effectively missing 1/4 of the season. With that run game and leads, they didn't pass as often. It would have been dumb to do so but it was effective enough.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Youre always trying to look to deep for shit. This was a story that had no new info to tell. They knew their target audience. Many agreed this wasn't necessary, but it was made none the less.

I enjoyed it (you didn't and that's ok). Laughed alot. Wasn't the best 30 for 30. But it will be my favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It was a TWO HOUR LONG documentary about ONE SEASON of ONE TEAM. My bad if I had higher standards than hearing the same shit I had heard in every interview since 1986.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What could Covert tell them about a guy that he played with in college that would have really helped when it was more the scheme the coaches came up with just as much as Marino that beat them? You don't like all the rehashing but wanted to hear about The Shuffle. The 46 was more flawed than Lovie with his cover who when it ran up against top qb's

Exactly what Covert told them. Seriously? Covert literally told them what they needed to know. That's exactly what Covert could have(and did) tell them.

You're not getting it, I found it funny the doc covers how insanely popular the entire team was/is but somehow offers zero coverage of the Shuffle. Kind of idiotic to push the pop culture/popularity narrative and not even bring that up like it never happened. It's lazy.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I agree about the Ryan at Miami stuff. They were 5th in YPP and 9th in passer rating with McMahon (7th of those with 300 attempts) effectively missing 1/4 of the season. With that run game and leads, they didn't pass as often. It would have been dumb to do so but it was effective enough.

The Bears had the 20th ranked passing attack in the NFL that season. The NFL had 28 teams at the time. They were the third least likely team to throw the ball. Two of the top three pass catchers were a RB and a FB. The passing attack was miserable aside from the occasional bomb to McKinnon or Gault.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have to agree with FirstTimer. Doc was very underwhelming as far as any new info.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Exactly what Covert told them. Seriously? Covert literally told them what they needed to know. That's exactly what Covert could have(and did) tell them.

You're not getting it, I found it funny the doc covers how insanely popular the entire team was/is but somehow offers zero coverage of the Shuffle. Kind of idiotic to push the pop culture/popularity narrative and not even bring that up like it never happened. It's lazy.

I think the show could have been better as well. But I don't blame Ryan for sticking with the 46 in the Miami game. They just came off one of the most historical months of beatdown dominance in sports history. Any coach would have stuck with what got him there.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:

Or just way over done.

Like anything '85 Bears related.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Since I was too little to remember, I would like to see a show that explains how the fuck the Bears lost in the playoffs in 86 and 87. That team should have been a dynasty.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What could Covert tell them about a guy that he played with in college that would have really helped when it was more the scheme the coaches came up with just as much as Marino that beat them? You don't like all the rehashing but wanted to hear about The Shuffle. The 46 was more flawed than Lovie with his cover who when it ran up against top qb's

So if the 46 was flawed against top QBs , game 6 of the 85 season Bears 26-49ers 10 Joe Montana sacked 7 times.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Since I was too little to remember, I would like to see a show that explains how the fuck the Bears lost in the playoffs in 86 and 87. That team should have been a dynasty.

The Bears lost buddy Ryan
Mcmahon was injured
Ditka was more interested in endorsements

greg23

Liked Posts:
The Bears lost buddy Ryan
Mcmahon was injured
Ditka was more interested in endorsements

Almost positive the bears defense in 86 had better numbers across the board than in 85.

It was all due to charles martin taking out mcmahon on a cheapnshot and then ditka signing a midget to play the lastb3 games and playoffs....they touched on it in the piece briefly......that and giving up a punt return td to darryl green who had broken ribs in the playoff game is what led to a possible beats vs giants nfc title game which im not sure we would have won on the road.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a TWO HOUR LONG documentary about ONE SEASON of ONE TEAM. My bad if I had higher standards than hearing the same shit I had heard in every interview since 1986.

a492160facbfdeff49979910a8eee021.jpg

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If McMahon would have been healthy they would have repeated in 86 at least. Also, wasn't McMahon hurt in 84? I seem to recall them getting shut out by Frisco in the play-offs that season and one of the 49ers saying something like, next time we play, BRING AN OFFENSE! They did the next year, I believe:)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
screen-shot-2013-11-21-at-17-12-37.png

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i thought it would be another rehashed 85 bears documentary but it wasn't

I liked it too. I have to say I agreed with what Fencick had to say about the whole Payton thing in the SB. You just won a Superbowl and achieved a lifelong dream with one of the greatest teams ever assembled, and you're sulking in the locker room because you didn't get a personal accolade?

Also liked a lot of the comments from Hampton, Dent and Wilson. Singletary continues to be an overly-emotional meatball of cringeworthy proportions, however.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked it too. I have to say I agreed with what Fencick had to say about the whole Payton thing in the SB. You just won a Superbowl and achieved a lifelong dream with one of the greatest teams ever assembled, and you're sulking in the locker room because you didn't get a personal accolade?

Also liked a lot of the comments from Hampton, Dent and Wilson. Singletary continues to be an overly-emotional meatball of cringeworthy proportions, however.

Dent came off as an idiot a few times. Especially regarding the Flutie stuff.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I didn't know Mcmichael is this crazy and awesome.

Anyone have stories of meeting mongo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk