Espn 30 for 30

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dent came off as an idiot a few times. Especially regarding the Flutie stuff.

Lol How? He simply said as a defender, a guy not knowing all his teammates, can't audible and couldn't see...was a field day. I agreed with him.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
I didn't know Mcmichael is this crazy and awesome.

Anyone have stories of meeting mongo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually had a few beers with McMichael at Docs beach house in Bonita Springs Florida,the guy is totally awesome and is EXACTLY the same way in person.

Good Times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I didn't know Mcmichael is this crazy and awesome.

Anyone have stories of meeting mongo?

Mongo has his own sports bar in Bolingbrook or Romeoville. Or he used to have one, not sure if it's still up. He makes appearances there, and from what others have told me, he'll actually sit down and shoot the shit with anyone.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I actually had a few beers with McMichael at Docs beach house in Bonita Springs Florida,the guy is totally awesome and is EXACTLY the same way in person.

Good Times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahaha that's so awesome.

Very cool he has his own bar. After this documentary he's become one of my favorites. What a wild dude lol. Texas boy.

I'm also really impressed with jimbo covert. Looks like after having a nice NFL career he went on to become a very successful healthcare career and is married with 3 kids. Dude seemed to do it right after his NFL days.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol How? He simply said as a defender, a guy not knowing all his teammates, can't audible and couldn't see...was a field day. I agreed with him.

Because Flutie still performed better than either T-Suck or Fuller did. Dent is kind of ignoring that Flutie was brought in because those guys were an abomination against football.

Fuller and T-Suck combined for 4 TD's and 14 INT's in 1986. And this was with the "advantage" of being able to audible and see.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
30 on 30

What a masterpiece this year as it was about the 85 Bears!

Those men on that football team were MEN of men! I had goose bumps the whole time and I'll admit shedding a tear or two.

The 85 Bears season was the absolute most magical season for me as a football fan. I was ten years old and thought they were invincible.

I wanted to be tough like those guys. They really had a lasting impact on the city of Chicago!

I don't even think the Cubs winning a World Series would be as impactful as that season was. Think about it, if we won in 2006, would it have felt as good? Not for me because I didn't know that they were the best team in the nfl.

In 1985, there was no doubt that the Bears were the best team in the NFL.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What kind of "new info" were you all expecting? I don't think the target audience was Bears fans who were around to witness 1985. I think the target audience was everyone else. It was for those who either weren't around, not Bears fans, and had only heard references to this mythical team but had not heard accounts of the season like we all have throughout the years.

My God, there's 30+ years worth of books, articles, videos, etc.. about the 85 Bears. I really don't think there's any "new" information to be revealed.

This 30 for 30 was entertaining to me only because I'm a Bears fan and watched that season as it happened. That is all and I expected nothing more.

mecha

Liked Posts:
What kind of "new info" were you all expecting? I don't think the target audience was Bears fans who were around to witness 1985. I think the target audience was everyone else. It was for those who either weren't around, not Bears fans, and had only heard references to this mythical team but had not heard accounts of the season like we all have throughout the years.

My God, there's 30+ years worth of books, articles, videos, etc.. about the 85 Bears. I really don't think there's any "new" information to be revealed.

This 30 for 30 was entertaining to me only because I'm a Bears fan and watched that season as it happened. That is all and I expected nothing more.

wish I could've seen it live. my uncle had the box set which had most of the games. the Metrodome and Cowboys games in particular were amazing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because Flutie still performed better than either T-Suck or Fuller did. Dent is kind of ignoring that Flutie was brought in because those guys were an abomination against football.

Fuller and T-Suck combined for 4 TD's and 14 INT's in 1986. And this was with the "advantage" of being able to audible and see.

I didn't see the show, but the Bears would have been smart to keep Doug Flutie. In my estimation, McMahon and Dent railroaded him out of town. He proved to be a pretty damn able quarterback.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I didn't see the show, but the Bears would have been smart to keep Doug Flutie. In my estimation, McMahon and Dent railroaded him out of town. He proved to be a pretty damn able quarterback.
On the show Dent and McMichaels ripped Flutie and I suspect other like Hampton didnt like him

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the show Dent and McMichaels ripped Flutie and I suspect other like Hampton didnt like him

YOu know, that team was pretty divided between the Ditka camp and the Ryan camp. Wonder if that didn't have something to do with it? Also, McMahon was their guy. A real party animal while Flutie came in from the cold and just wasn't as "cool" as McMahon was. I don't know but I still think that Flutie became a pretty good NFL quarterback after he left the Bears.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flutie has good games against those guys later when he was with the patriots. Wonder if they let down because they thought so little of him?

Moostache

Liked Posts:
The 30 for 30 on the '85 Bears was underwhelming compared to other episodes. I watched that team live and I do not care what anyone else thinks, they remain the single most dominant single-season team I have ever watched (2nd place was the '99 Rams Offense because that team was putting teams away 35-7 in the first half on multiple occasions).

There is little "new" to say about that team, but a better look at the highlights and pure domination of the defense would have been nice. More focus on the sacks, the turnovers created, the sheer intimidation of the opposition in Atlanta and Dallas, more about the linebackers (you HAD 2 of the 3 on the show and spent next to no time talking about that unit's insane domination and talent that year. The Miami game was another lost opportunity - they should have delved deeper there and definitely should have confronted Ditka about his responses and antics that night a lot more.

Other than that, seeing Ryan so infirm, realizing that Payton is nearing 17 years gone (and that he died at the exact age I am now), and seeing the ravage of time on Danimal and Mongo and McMahon and even Fencik was kind of depressing. Those players and their exploits live on in my memory as they were when it happened, seeing them so diminished by time is robbing that memory just a little (even though time remains the only undefeated son-of-a-bitch around).

The greatest disappointment of my football watching life has been that the '85 Bears never had another playoff run with a healthy McMahon and full squad after that season. '86 was no McMahon and no offense beyond Payton; '87 was more of the same and by '88 the pieces were starting to be lost (Marshall, Gault, Payton, Dent). The losses in '84 and '88 to the 49er's in NFC title games that bookended that '85 team make that one season of near perfection stand out so much clearer even after all this time.

Like I said...never saw anything like it before or since, and I am near certain I never will. Too many characters, too much confluence of players, city and time...it was special to anyone who lived it and it won't ever be forgotten because of the playoff exclamation point wins!