Forget Trevathan sign Muhammad Wilkerson

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
As much as I would love to have Danny on our Bears Pace said he will be looking for more bargains in FA like last year. If last year is a template for how Pace will handle FA I look for one big FA signing and maybe one medium bargain and then the 1 year prove it deals. He also said he would not pour too much money into one guy. I am hoping this was more smoke than real.

With that in mind the one guy who could make the biggest impact is Wilkerson. The next guy who has proven talent but might be had at a decent price because of his age is Eric Weddle. He might go for a 2 year deal depending on what the market will bear. Both guys fill more important roles than ILB even though ILB is their weakest of a number of weak links.

Then you look for bargains at ILB and an ILB in the draft. Not saying its my preferred approach just saying the McCaskeys are expecting max leverage for every McCaskey dollar and this IMHO fits that expectation.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's a deep class for DE and there are much cheaper options available than Wilkerson for a team that has a startling amount of needs. You don't blow your stack on Wilkerson.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Franchise Tag

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I thought getting Wilkerson would be great too. Now I'm thinking get Robinson in the 1st round and use the FA money elsewhere.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
I actually believe the Jets are going to focus more of their efforts, and potential Tag, on Damon Harrison. I think Mo is going to get big $$$ and they'd be wise to lock up their run-blocking NT, early on.

Mo will probably be one of the first FAs to sign and he'll set the market price for DEs pretty high, rightfully so BTW. Because of this I think the Bears look at some better value picks. I know the Jackson/Howard bandwagons are chugging ahead, but I'll give you a name nobody is talking about – William Hayes.

He's an absolute force on that Rams team and one of their unsung heroes, much like McPhee was in Baltimore. LA has nearly their entire starting secondary hitting FA + some depth retainment questions in Fairley/Sims. The Bears could sneak in there and nab Hayes, if they made him a priority. Plus I think he'll sign cheaper than Jackson. Double down on the trenches and select a DE in the 1st/2nd: Robinson/Butler, and you have your starting DL for the next 3-5 years.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I actually believe the Jets are going to focus more of their efforts, and potential Tag, on Damon Harrison. I think Mo is going to get big $$$ and they'd be wise to lock up their run-blocking NT, early on.

Mo will probably be one of the first FAs to sign and he'll set the market price for DEs pretty high, rightfully so BTW. Because of this I think the Bears look at some better value picks. I know the Jackson/Howard bandwagons are chugging ahead, but I'll give you a name nobody is talking about – William Hayes.

He's an absolute force on that Rams team and one of their unsung heroes, much like McPhee was in Baltimore. LA has nearly their entire starting secondary hitting FA + some depth retainment questions in Fairley/Sims. The Bears could sneak in there and nab Hayes, if they made him a priority. Plus I think he'll sign cheaper than Jackson. Double down on the trenches and select a DE in the 1st/2nd: Robinson/Butler, and you have your starting DL for the next 3-5 years.

Hayes is a nice player. Only issue with him is that he's 31 two days after the draft ends. Jackson, Wilkerson, Howard, and Hicks are all 27 or under.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
His age just means he'll sign cheaper than Malik Jackson, Jaye Howard, and other younger FAs, maybe even for less years. Somewhere around 3-4 yrs/28-32MM with about 8-12MM guaranteed could net him while providing the Bears with great value. You guarantee $$$ in the first few years and give yourself the flexibility to cut bait–in case his production dips.

And speaking of production, there's no denying his pass rushing capabilities:
http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Highlights-William-Hayes-at-Seahawks/e59a858e-64b3-4b32-9062-e4ab1d5d2452
He was a terror in that SEA game, this year. Plus he's produced under a jammed DL rotation of Long/Quinn/Donald/Brockers/Fairley/Sims.

I understand people wanting Jackson, Howard, Wilkerson – but the Vinny Curry numbers makes me think some of those deals could get crazy.

And with the news of Trevathan talking Chicago, a combo of Danny Trevathan/William Hayes could be the start of a solid offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why do we care what is cheaper?

70 million in cap space and we are trying to sign cheaper options? No thanks.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
It's not just cheaper it's better value...

When you go to Walgreens, you don't buy the Rogaine brand hair treatment, do you? No, you get the generic Minoxidil because it's the same thing for less money. Doesn't matter how much is in your wallet.

Mitchapalooza

It's not just cheaper it's better value...

When you go to Walgreens, you don't buy the Rogaine brand hair treatment, do you? No, you get the generic Minoxidil because it's the same thing for less money. Doesn't matter how much is in your wallet.

Because Generic hair products are directly comparable to million dollar athletes.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Wilkerson could end up getting close to J.J Watt money. No thanks.

Give me Trevathan for around 40 million over multiple years in his prime thanks.

BearDovvn

Liked Posts:
His age just means he'll sign cheaper than Malik Jackson, Jaye Howard, and other younger FAs, maybe even for less years. Somewhere around 3-4 yrs/28-32MM with about 8-12MM guaranteed could net him while providing the Bears with great value. You guarantee $$$ in the first few years and give yourself the flexibility to cut bait–in case his production dips.

And speaking of production, there's no denying his pass rushing capabilities:
http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Highlights-William-Hayes-at-Seahawks/e59a858e-64b3-4b32-9062-e4ab1d5d2452
He was a terror in that SEA game, this year. Plus he's produced under a jammed DL rotation of Long/Quinn/Donald/Brockers/Fairley/Sims.

I understand people wanting Jackson, Howard, Wilkerson – but the Vinny Curry numbers makes me think some of those deals could get crazy.

And with the news of Trevathan talking Chicago, a combo of Danny Trevathan/William Hayes could be the start of a solid offseason.

The Bears are in rebuilding mode, not looking for a couple pieces that'll will help them for the next 1 or 2 years. If it helps I'm sure we can take up a collection on this board to buy you a William Hayes poster for your room. We can even photoshop him wearing a Bears uni

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, just because the Bears have a ton of money to spend doesn't mean they don't have to be wise about it. I understand the Hayes love. And honestly, it makes sense if you're going to go DL early (as the Bears should). You're basically building the DL with Goldman and whoever they pick this year. And since Goldman has shown some pass rush ability and the Bears play so much nickel, you don't really need to have 3 great defensive lineman. Of course, that also means you have to hit on your DL pick in order to build around him.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Thank you rawdawg, couldn't have put it better myself. Well structured football teams always practice financial discipline, regardless of their resources.

I wrote this in the Trevathan thread, but my thinking is, the Bears two biggest needs: DL/LB – is represented fairly well in the first few rounds of the draft. Putting the Bears in pretty good shape to land two starters early. With the Trevathan news coming out a few days ago, signing a bargain DE is good resource allocation, considering, they can land a young DE in the first few rounds. You add both Trevathan/Hayes and that gives you incredible flexibility for the draft: A'Shawn Robinson & Kentrell Brothers or Myles Jack & Vernon Butler or perhaps even a wildcard pick if the right player slides.

I'd love to sign Trevathan & Jackson too, but that's probably going to be really expensive, so you find alternatives.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Thank you rawdawg, couldn't have put it better myself. Well structured football teams always practice financial discipline, regardless of their resources.

I wrote this in the Trevathan thread, but my thinking is, the Bears two biggest needs: DL/LB – is represented fairly well in the first few rounds of the draft. Putting the Bears in pretty good shape to land two starters early. With the Trevathan news coming out a few days ago, signing a bargain DE is good resource allocation, considering, they can land a young DE in the first few rounds. You add both Trevathan/Hayes and that gives you incredible flexibility for the draft: A'Shawn Robinson & Kentrell Brothers or Myles Jack & Vernon Butler or perhaps even a wildcard pick if the right player slides.

I'd love to sign Trevathan & Jackson too, but that's probably going to be really expensive, so you find alternatives.

You are making a big assumption that one of those picks is not used for the oline. Of course we will know before the draft how many needs of the defense will be addressed in FA.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
wilkerson is not making it to free agency, the jets will be cutting and restructuring a bunch of guys to keep him

Bears27

Liked Posts:
You are making a big assumption that one of those picks is not used for the oline. Of course we will know before the draft how many needs of the defense will be addressed in FA.

Very well could be, that's why I said wildcard pick. I wouldn't put OL as a greater need for DE/LB, that's just me, but if someone like Tunsil or Stanley falls there and the Bears have him as BPA – it could be the pick. I can't remember their name, but someone on this board recommended Jeff Allen as a potential guard FA signing, would be a good upgrade over Ducasse/Omameh.