The Western Conference

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The disparity is the Grand Canyon. These teams fighting for final 2 spots are phenomenal. Arizona and the Avalanche we just saw, we know the Wild. The Sharks are in the same situation, 3-4 lines deep with a mix of highly skilled veterans and youth.

I don't think our bottom 6 is on the same level as many of these teams. I mean Anaheim is a legit franchise and I'm not sure they can catch those 4 young clubs because they are stacked enough to keep scoring points.

Now we have a very smart third line. But we win games because Crow, defense, playing our system, playing unbelievably hard every night, and because our top 5 players are all epic champions.

Keith, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrooke, Hammer. It seems like it doesn't matter who plays with them, but that doesn't give enough credit to Bowman that the guys stepping into every hole seem legit.

I mean am I wrong to think TVR and Gus could be a second pairing a lot of places? They are legit and have put behind us the defensive fears

TT is going to be the interesting piece going forward, I wonder if we could extend him cheaply or we have to trade him. And what we will get.

Danult stepping in the way he has. Man I think he is starting to play faster and progress as he adjusts. McNeil was terrible but deserved more time. You can't judge a guy on one first game because they often play too hard and get winded and skills go to shit.

Rasmussen is playing a good Kruger, as good as we could hope for but that is one area will will improve going into playoffs hopefully.

Danult 11 and TT are certainly finding chemistry. Compared to some of the third line names in the West my point is those guys are nothing, but they cycle Blackhawks hockey smartly, quickly, defensively secure, and often pressure dangerously.

The fouth line I need to see more of. But...Kruger Panik Dano sounds good to me from what I have seen.

I almost prefer the Hawks to stand pat with potential future assets, and trade the farm that needs to churn for more future dice we know Bowman can score with.

No more Vermette deals, we have a chance this year and I'll have to see the player and the price, but I just don't see how we could much improve on

Shaw-Taser-Bossa
Bread-AA-God
11-Danult-Charub
Dano-Kruger-Panik

It's possible to replace Dano, Panik, and Danult I guess and move Shaw, TT, 11 or Kruger around.

But that's my point. Those are young energy guys so who are you going to replace them with? They have all shown me things. Dano couldn't find the finish but he gave us much more tenacity and fight than I expected. I want him back soon and finding chemistry with the third or fourth line if Shaw is solidified.

But Dano is a Sekac breakout away from distant memory at this point.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't see how you can mention The Western Conference without bringing up the LA Kings at some point.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see how you can mention The Western Conference without bringing up the LA Kings at some point.

The Stars and Kings are for real. I'm just saying its shocking to me the 7, 8, 9, and 10 teams in the West could probably out everyone except Washington in the East. Maybe Price is that good a Montreal would deal with those teams, particularly Arizona because lack of goaltending.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Kings are for real.
The Stars are for real when they can score 5 or more goals. Their D is in serious question and was exposed the other night in the 5-1 drubbing to the Hawks.

Mattia

Liked Posts:
I think the Stars will face serious issues in the SC playoff

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While there's always a debate on Battle-tested vs. Well-rested, The Kings right now don't strike me as "For Real" They have 65 standings points. They might be 2nd in the Metro & Atlantic but they'd be 4th in the Central. IMHO if they were close to "for real" they'd have a sizable lead on the rest of their division (like Washington), especially since the Pacific, on average, if 4 standings points below the NHL average.

In other words, they are barely in front in a cupcake division. At least Washington is decimating a division a point and a half above the league average. Contrast to Chicago, who has a 5-point lead, as well as 2nd in the league in points, in a division that has an average just shy of 4 points ahead of the leage average.

In other words, LA, is not too far in front of a weak divison and doesn't see quality opponents nearly as much as Chicago, Washington, Floida, Dallas, and St. Louis does.

Again, Well-Rested vs. Battle Tested. They can flip the switch, but if a weak schedule didn't condition they might get annihilated if they play a central team 1st round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mattia

Liked Posts:
You are right in much of your post, but the Kings have 5 games more to play compared to the Hawks (and the Stars 3) and if they may win all they will pass the Hawks.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think the Stars will face serious issues in the SC playoff

Yeah their goalies just aren't good enough right now. If they can get someone else in net before the trade deadline, that'll make things a hell of a lot more interesting.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Yeah their goalies just aren't good enough right now. If they can get someone else in net before the trade deadline, that'll make things a hell of a lot more interesting.

I don't see how they are going to get anyone else in net, especially with the contracts that Lehtonen and Niemi carry. Their best bet would be to make a trade for a top end Dman that isn't as offensive minded as Goli/Kling. Would slot Demers down to the #5 spot and all of a sudden their defense would look pretty damn good. Nill loves pulling off big trades, so he could make it happen.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
They have so many log jamed D prospects they could unload to make a trade for that. When Johns is mentioned in the questions to why he hasn't played. They have 3-5 D prospects playing on the nhl/ahl level better or just as good as johns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are right in much of your post, but the Kings have 5 games more to play compared to the Hawks (and the Stars 3) and if they may win all they will pass the Hawks.
Not LA. They have 65 points to Chicago's 76. If LA & Chicago have the same reacord and LA wins the games in hand Chicago's still ahead. Dallas could surpass us by 1 point...if the records are equal.

IMHO if LA was as good as they are made out to be; they should be crushing the weak Pacific like a steamroller crushes a snail. they aren't. In 2008 Detroit topped the very weak Central with a 24 point lead over #2 and won the cup and president's trophy. LA is not trouncing the very weak pacific the same way. While they can for sure throw the playoff switch right now WAS, FLA, & CHI are more impressive to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk