Jake Sets Another Record

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He deserves it. Cubs lowballed him at 7.5 but that business. Its not personal

I agree, but I don't think anyone should be surprised as this is further proof that Boras does what his client tells him to do.

Great deal for the Cubs.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I agree, but I don't think anyone should be surprised as this is further proof that Boras does what his client tells him to do.

Great deal for the Cubs.

How so? This was right in the middle where everyone expected them to settle. No way was this ever going to an arbiter.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How so? This was right in the middle where everyone expected them to settle. No way was this ever going to an arbiter.

I don't have any doubt that Boras said bring on the "judge." Especially after the historic year Jake just completed.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't have any doubt that Boras said bring on the "judge." Especially after the historic year Jake just completed.

I agree. It's a fair deal given the fact that Jake has never done anything close to what he did last year. But Boras never settles for a "fair" deal....if Jake has another big year....look out. Cubs would be wise to extend him before that happens.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The buzz yesterday was a one year agreement with discussions on a six year extnesion

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. It's a fair deal given the fact that Jake has never done anything close to what he did last year. But Boras never settles for a "fair" deal....if Jake has another big year....look out. Cubs would be wise to extend him before that happens.

They don't extend him before this year runs out. I would imagine the Cubs trade him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The buzz yesterday was a one year agreement with discussions on a six year extnesion

It's going to be hard for them to get to that number. Boras has hinted that talk starts at $200 mil. If you're the Cubs where do you start? Buy out next year at something like $16 with 5/$30 that? Does 6/$166 mil even come close? I think if they still think they get a young starter in trade they probably let him walk after 2017. If they had managed to get a guy this offseason they might have traded Arrieta next winter. Maybe that's still in play if they get a guy at the deadline. Two more elite years with a ERA and FIP in the low 2's and he surpasses Greinke's AAV in 2018.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are too "win now" to trade Jake. I feel that they may be aggressive going after a SP in FA the next two years (Strasburg potentially) if they feel Jake commands too much money but I highly doubt they trade him as he greatly improves their WS chances at a salary that is massively lower than anything he'd get on the free market.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs are really up against it in this scenario. If Jake has another big year, he might price himself out of town but he has a down year...sure, he's more affordable but doubtful the Cubs will be where they want to be as a team.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are too "win now" to trade Jake. I feel that they may be aggressive going after a SP in FA the next two years (Strasburg potentially) if they feel Jake commands too much money but I highly doubt they trade him as he greatly improves their WS chances at a salary that is massively lower than anything he'd get on the free market.

What I said has been big speculation since he won the CY. There is a lot of chatter about it. The thought process is they could get back a huge haul that would include possibly two TOR type arms. One almost major league ready and one a year or two away. Its a possibility.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
What I said has been big speculation since he won the CY. There is a lot of chatter about it. The thought process is they could get back a huge haul that would include possibly two TOR type arms. One almost major league ready and one a year or two away. Its a possibility.

Why would a team trade multiple TOR arms to get Arrieta for a year+half? Teams simply rare trade potential TOR arms that are anywhere close to major league ready. I mean, who even has multiple arms like that?

There's no chance the Cubs trade him now as any trade makes them worse on the field (something they can't afford to do with their rotation and the lack of arms). I get the whole "build a sustainable model" but you also don't want to seem like the team that will simply trade you a year or two before FA and you can't just trade your best players for tomorrow when you're the best team in baseball today.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would a team trade multiple TOR arms to get Arrieta for a year+half? Teams simply rare trade potential TOR arms that are anywhere close to major league ready. I mean, who even has multiple arms like that?

There's no chance the Cubs trade him now as any trade makes them worse on the field (something they can't afford to do with their rotation and the lack of arms). I get the whole "build a sustainable model" but you also don't want to seem like the team that will simply trade you a year or two before FA and you can't just trade your best players for tomorrow when you're the best team in baseball today.

They have to prove they are the best team in baseball. There a lot of scenarios that can happen. One that jumps out, say they pull a Washington Nationals this year and never live up to the hype? What do you do? Do you pay Arrieta when the average Ace last 3 years? Do you trade him for say a package of Stroman, Aarron Sanchez, and another piece? There would be some heavy hitters lined up for him. Even though it rarely happens, the Cubs could still go after him in FA. Trust me, the Cubs are thinking of every angle with him besides just paying him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

You'd be surprised what teams will pay for that last year of control and top arms actually have been moving lately. The Angels, D-Backs, Rangers and Dodgers have all traded top arms, granted not for ace pitchers but they do move. Just as a hypothetical, what if the Cubs pick up Sonny Gray at the deadline and win the World Series. Now you've got your young pitcher under control through 2019 and you know you can't sign Arrieta. There very well might be a team in a go for it year that would trade an arm a year or so away for the certainty of a one year ace. This is just one scenario but I think it's silly to think the Cubs wouldn't at least entertain moving him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Two off the top of my head...Dodgers, White Sox.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They have to prove they are the best team in baseball. There a lot of scenarios that can happen. One that jumps out, say they pull a Washington Nationals this year and never live up to the hype? What do you do? Do you pay Arrieta when the average Ace last 3 years? Do you trade him for say a package of Stroman, Aarron Sanchez, and another piece? There would be some heavy hitters lined up for him. Even though it rarely happens, the Cubs could still go after him in FA. Trust me, the Cubs are thinking of every angle with him besides just paying him.

I agree with you Silence. I just don;t see the package that you proposed for Jake from TOR happening. If Jake had two or more years of control left, more likely. With a year of control, I think you get a fringe TOR spec and another spec. Perhaps a TOR spec but is at least two years away. Hard to say.