OG Vlad Ducasse
OG Patrick Omaneh
CB Alan Ball
CB Sherick McManis
LB Shea McClellin
WR Josh Bellamy

Re-Signed

WR Alshon Jeffery 5 years 65 million/32 guaranteed

-The Bears need him, the offense just sucks without him and while I wish he was healthier the Bears cannot afford to let any talent walk out the door right now. Jeffery will be tagged and a long term deal worked out before free agency.

TE Zach Miller 3 years 10.5 million/5 guaranteed

-With Bennett gone the Bears need to keep some options open at TE and Miller can play. His age and health limit the length of the deal, but he should be back in a prominent role on offense.

CB Tracy Porter 3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed

-He is being counted on to stay healthy and be a starting CB, the low guarantees protect against health and allow the Bears to move on to a replacement when that player is developed and ready.

DE Jarvis Jenkins 3 years 7 million/2 guaranteed

-Good rotational guy who played way too many snaps this season. He gets to move into the primary backup role and play sub package snaps.

OLB Sam Acho 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed

-Great team guy, who can cover and play the run and with the re-emergence of Young and Houston he does not have to start and play pass rush downs. He is also a core special teams player and a guy who can captain those units. You will notice special teams got better when he played less defensive snaps.

DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 2 million/500k guaranteed

-The staff loves him and he grinds.

C Will Montgomery 1 year 1.5 million/500k guaranteed

-The Bears need a veteran option in case Grasu struggles. Montgomery gives them a guy who looked good before breaking his leg and is experienced at coming off the bench.

WR Deonte Thompson 1 year 650k

-Should have every opportunity to be the long term KR/PR and a speed option in the offensive sub packages.

Free Agents

LB Danny Trevathan [Denver] 5 years 35 million/17.5 guaranteed

The Bears desperatly need an ILB that can come in and stabilize the position. They need someone who can cover and with the athletic ability to make a couple of plays. Trevathan has the athletic ability and the instincts to make the plays the Bears didn't make last season. Trevathan is good in coverage, which should help to stop the biggest area of weakness for the Bears as they were abused by backs and TEs in the passing game. Trevathan gives the Bears a legitimate ILB and allows them to work and develop the other spot where they have some interesting young options and can add a draft pick.

Danny+Trevathan+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Denver+8XqjQ__EKfTl.jpg
​​

NT Damon Harrison [NY Jets] 4 years 20 million/8 guaranteed

The Bears should pursue Malik Jackson, but landing him and Trevathan could be tricky. My fall back is Harrison. Harrison is an elite run defender, in fact he is the highest ranked NT in the NFL at stopping the run. This does 2 things for the Bears that I think are very important. 1. The Bears sucked against the run, and if you cannot stop the run in the NFL you are sunk. Just watch how Denver's DL stops the run and then the rest of the defense just tees off on the QB. Harrison can almost single handily make a team 1 dimensional. 2. It allows the Bears to move Goldman to DE and to save him for pass rush situations. Goldman is the Bears best interior pass rusher and I do not need him worn out and tired from absorbing run down double teams over and over again.

Damon-Harrison-says-he-is-the-best-defensive-tackle-in-the-NFL.jpg

CB Sean Smith[Kansas City] 3 years 24 million/14 guaranteed

Tracy Porter and Kyle Fuller were a very nice and mediocre story in 2015, but neither is going to consistently shut down an elite WR and Porter cannot be trusted to stay healthy. Smith will come at less of an investment than guys like Jenkins and Johnson, and he provides a similar press man skill set. Smith at 6'3" 215lbs is a huge long CB that can match up with the bigger WRs and bully speed guys.

Sean-Smiths-Suspension-Could-Foil-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Playoff-Hopes.jpg

OG Alex Boone [San Francisco] 3 years 21 million/12 guaranteed

Boone is an upper echelon RG with the versatility to play OT if needed. Boone can step in at RG an immediately give the Bears a huge upgrade over what they had last season. At 6'8" 310lbs. Boone has the size and length to be difference maker in the run game and in the pass game.

alex-boone.jpg

​​​TE Dwayne Allen [Indianapolis] 4 years 14 million/4 guaranteed

The Bears need an option at TE in case Miller gets hurt, and while Allen has battled injuries himself he is a complete TE that can catch and block and he could thrive with more reps than he got in Indy. Allen has also lined up at FB and could fill multiple roles on the offense.

allen.jpg

S David Bruton [Denver] 3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed

Bruton provides depth at SS in case Rolle is injured again or is actually declining. He brings size [6'2" 210lbs], experience, and special teams ability to the Bears. Bruton at a minimum will give the Bears special teams a captain.

bruton2.jpg
​​​

Draft

I used Matt Miller's mock draft to determine who was available with each pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-millers-post-super-bowl-predictions/page/2​

1[11] QB Paxton Lynch [Memphis] 6'7" 245lbs.

Jay Cutler played pretty well in 2015, this pick is not about right now. This is a pick is focused on the future of the most important position in football in Chicago. Chicago has struggled to get anything more than adequate play from the QB position and they need to start looking for someone who can be more than that. Lynch has every physical tool in spades, he is huge, has a big arm, and on top of it he can run. What Lynch need is coaching and experience in an NFL system, those are both things that the Bears can get him. Lynch can be developed for a year before he competes with Cutler. Imagine having 2 talented QBs pushing each other to play, imagine having options at the QB position, imagine having a player who may develop into more than the 13th best starter in the NFL.

I know the Bears need defense, but by the time the defense is good enough to carry the Bears to a Superbowl, like Denver, Cutler will more than likely be done playing in the NFL.

img25432098.jpg

2[41] DE Kenny Clark [UCLA] 6'3" 310lbs.

The Bears can take advantage of the incredible DL depth in this draft by waiting till the 2nd round, where they should be drafting a 1st round grade and a player who can be expected to play a lot early in 2016. Clark is a long armed powerful player that can come in and immediately help against the run. Clark physically bullied Pac 12 OLmen and has very similar tape to Eddie Goldman from last season. Clark notched 6 sacks this season and is starting to show development as a pass rusher. He uses his powerful upper body with a nice slap rip move and a push pull to disengage on his way to the QB. Clark should start immediately.

6_3117021.png

3[72] LB Deion Jones [LSU] 6'1" 220lbs.

Deion Jones is too small right now to be a full time starter, but he can pair with John Timu to provide the Bears with a complete LB while he develops physically. Jones can run and cover like a safety, he can match up on slot WRs and TEs. In this plan he will play the obvious passing downs and sub packages, while Timu plays the base defense and the obvious run downs. This allows both young players to play to their strengths while they develop and the Bears see what they have. Jones can easily carry 235lbs, but he needs time to do so.

USATSI_7672762-650x342.jpg

4. OG Kyle Murphy [Stanford] 6'6" 310lbs.

Murphy played OT at Stanford, but his Senior Bowl performance makes me think that he may be better suited at OG. Murphy is big, physical, and well coached. His feet are not great and he is more of a mauler than a dancer. The Bears can develop Murphy at RG and RT and use him as a back up in 2016. Murphy should fit with the hard working culture of the OL and has starting potential. You can never have too many big, versatile OLmen.

SPO.102115.fb_-660x330.jpg

5. CB/S Sean Davis [Maryland] 6'1" 200lbs.

The Bears need to continue to add to the secondary. The front 7 is clearly the focus of the offseason, but they need better options coming off the bench than McManis etc. Davis is a big CB, that will move to FS. He has good size, range, and he fits the physical profile of what the Bears seem to be looking for. Davis can cut his teeth on special teams and work at safety with Donatel.

6_3292055.jpg

6. OT/OG Brandon Shell [South Carolina] 6'5" 326lbs.

More OL options not named Ducasse and Omaneh, that not only provide depth, but a realistic expectation that they could develop beyond career backups. Shell played OT in college and may be able to stick at RT, but he may be best being developed at RG. Shell has long arms and incredible size and has the physical tools that Dave Magazou can work with.

brandon-shell-surgery.jpg
​​

6. OLB Dadi Nicolas [Virginia Tech] 6'3" 235lbs.

The raw tools are here to have a pretty dynamic pass rusher, but there is a ton of coaching that needs to happen. Nicholad does not need to play anytime soon, he can be a long term project for Fangio and if he does not figure it out, nothing was really risked.

Dadi-Nicolas-NFL-Draft-Stock.jpg

6. CB James Bradbery [Samford] 6'1" 209lbs.

Ideal size and athletic ability, but simply needs a ton of work and experience to be an NFL DB. Luckily the Bears have a pretty good DB coach and some time. In 2016 Bradbery should be a core special teams member, upgrading the size and speed on that unit.

18783570-mmmain.jpg

7. LB Blake Martinez [Stanford] 6'2" 245lbs.

There may be some athletic limitations, but Martinez is a hard nosed, physical, leader who will more than likely out play his draft position. He has experience in the defense which is also a plus as the Bears look for better options at ILB.

Blake-Martinez-Stanford-football.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Lynch
RB: Langford, Carey, Rodgers, Perry
WR: Jeffery, White, Royal, Wilson, Meredith, Thompson
TE: Miller, Allen, Lee
LT: Leno
LG: Slauson, Shell
C: Grasu, Montgomery
RG: Boone, Murphy
RT: Long, Fabajule

RE: Goldman, Ferguson, Gaston
NT: Harrison, Sutton
LE: Clark, Jenkins, Unrien
OLB: Young, Acho, Nicholas
ILB: Trevathan, Anderson, Martinez
ILB: Timu/D. Jones, C. Jones
OLB: McPhee, Houston
CB: Smith, Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Bradbery, Hurst
FS: Amos, Davis
SS: Bruton/Rolle, Jones-Quartey

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Stop releasing Bennett and fuck no to Lynch.

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like the FA signings, not too crazy about the draft but not bad.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A couple of bigger things

-Moving Goldman: your best pass rushing interior DLmen should not be buried in the middle getting consistently double teamed.

-I know it is a big 2nd tier free agent buy, but it stops the bleeding and allows the Bears to think long term in the draft.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Well I am not a big fan of Lynch, but I am a big fan of sitting quarterbacks with potential and letting them work their way into the starting role. And this offseason plan would greatly improve our OL and DL. Solid plan all around

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll pass on all of this. Cut Bennett but keep Rolle? No thanks. Your draft is dependent on the 3rd best QB? No thanks... I don't have near the Danny Trevathan chubby that you do. This team would be void of play makers on both sides of the ball. Sorry, just being honest, I would hate this offseason.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Big fan of ALL your Pac-12 draftees: Kenny Clark, Kyle Murphy, Blake Martinez - I want them all, please add Scooby Wright to the mix while you're at it, thanks.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
A bunch of clips of Paxton Lynch working with Charlie Taaffe. He really worked on his release. I'm seeing a lot less windup. He also has really nice feet for a behemoth.

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/694979132858462208

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/694268523175133184

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/693175380195303424

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/692804879950176256

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/692096162107629572

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/691743981722562565

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/690288265157550080

https://twitter.com/QBC_Orlando/status/689190167102513152

I feel like he'd be a reach, but the measurables are pretty and with this offseason plan we'd shore up other areas so meh, I guess I'd be okay. He's one of those guys that a good combine or pro day would go a long way. I've heard he said he didn't have the go ahead to kill run plays in the offense he played. If they called a run it got ran 100%. Also said he wants to show off his throwing ability and foot work at the combine.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Great job as always Windy. I just have two questions. Probably dumb ones but here goes anyway:
1. In your description of Shell as an OG you mentioned his long arms as a plus. Are long arms really an asset for interior linemen? I would think that short powerful arms would be better working in the tight areas that guards usually patrol.
2. I saw that Miller had us taking Jaylon Smith at 11 (as you know, my personal choice if he is there). If you are going to select a player with this pick that needs to wait a year (or more) to play do you really think that a high bust potential QB is a better value than a guy who will be a special player in the NFL for a long time?

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Also where does Leonard Floyd fall in the draft?

And no Marc Marinara is criminal.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
The offseason can really leave us thin at TE. Allen and Miller are very similar TE/Hback type players, which I think makes the Allen signing a bit redundant.

Also, I think denote Thompson is a waste of a roster spot. Would rather have Senorice Perry because of his versatility at HB.

And finally, I think cutting both Omameh and Duccase would be a mistake. I'd prefer if the staff evaluated both and kept whichever they think might have a better career backup OG spot. Not saying they're good, but they e started games and could be useful in a pinch.

Edit* Just saw you have Timu as a starting MLBer this coming year....wut?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think every other mock offseason has been better than this one. I like some of the moves (Trevathan, Smith, Clark and Jones draft picks). But it's a crime to cut Bennett. This is NOT the Marshall situation. He's not THAT bad of a lockerroom problem. He doesn't have that kind of contract, in fact, it's pretty team friendly for the Bears. If you can't get a pick for Bennett, you keep him, especially when you're just turning around and signing an inferior TE.

Also, Lynch is not a top 11 pick. You don't take him just because the other 2 QBs went ahead of him. This just seemed too geared to run the ball and stop the run. If that's what the take was from Denver winning the Superbowl.....it is wrong.

Reactions: 1ke

Dabearswinorlose

Liked Posts:
Not a bad offseason. I would love to draft Clark in round 2. I would also love to sign Trevathon. Clark could play both Nose tackle and defensive end for us. Not a fan of Lynch at 11 but if Pace pulls that trigger I'll be ok with it because I really trust Pace right now and he's knows a lot more about these qbs than any of us or anybody in the media.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From all reports Martellus Bennett is not going to be a Bear. I am not advocating it, only reflecting what is going to happen and trying to plan accordingly.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offseason can really leave us thin at TE. Allen and Miller are very similar TE/Hback type players, which I think makes the Allen signing a bit redundant.

Also, I think denote Thompson is a waste of a roster spot. Would rather have Senorice Perry because of his versatility at HB.

And finally, I think cutting both Omameh and Duccase would be a mistake. I'd prefer if the staff evaluated both and kept whichever they think might have a better career backup OG spot. Not saying they're good, but they e started games and could be useful in a pinch.

Edit* Just saw you have Timu as a starting MLBer this coming year....wut?

Thompson was the best kick returner on the Bears and even caught a couple of deep passes.

Ducasse and Omaneh have NO value they are backups and limited backups at that.

Timu and Jones will split time. The plan is to develop Jones into the starter, by playing him on passing downs early.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
From all reports Martellus Bennett is not going to be a Bear. I am not advocating it, only reflecting what is going to happen and trying to plan accordingly.

Naming it "What I would do" kinda contradicts you not advocating it.

Reactions: 1ke

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would sign more Denver Bronco FAs.... ideally sign 5-7 Denver FAs