Sox sign Mat Latos 1yr 3m deal.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a high upside arm for nothing. Nice.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Such a solid no risk move. Great job Hahn!

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No pressure either. Could be big as 4th or 5th starter.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
You can never have too much pitching depth.

Still, he stinks. I don't see him winning many games in the A.L. I'd rather see them develop some young prospects at the back-end of that rotation.

Could the acquisition of Latos indicate a move for a decent corner OF or two?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Still, he stinks. I don't see him winning many games in the A.L. I'd rather see them develop some young prospects at the back-end of that rotation.

I think this signing points to possibly moving Danks with some cash for a reasonable spec. That gives teh team Sale, Q, Rodon, Latos, Johnson. Next year Latos out Fulmer in.

Latos has a chance to be a fringe #2/solid #3. He pitched a ton better than his era showed last year from what news sources are posting. The issue from what I have read is his club house demeanor. For $3 million he could be the best FA signing in 2016. Very low risk, possible high ceiling. Very good deal.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

This. He sucks, but depth is a valuable asset and you could do a lot worse than Latos if you need a guy to make a spot start, relieve an injured SP, or even stay at the 5 spot.

I don't think it happens, but he is a bounce back candidate.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This. He sucks, but depth is a valuable asset and you could do a lot worse than Latos if you need a guy to make a spot start, relieve an injured SP, or even stay at the 5 spot.

I don't think it happens, but he is a bounce back candidate.

His numbers show his era should have been tons better. I think he'll be fine.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this signing points to possibly moving Danks with some cash for a reasonable spec. That gives teh team Sale, Q, Rodon, Latos, Johnson. Next year Latos out Fulmer in.

Latos has a chance to be a fringe #2/solid #3. He pitched a ton better than his era showed last year from what news sources are posting. The issue from what I have read is his club house demeanor. For $3 million he could be the best FA signing in 2016. Very low risk, possible high ceiling. Very good deal.

A. Garcia has a better chance at winning a Gold Glove!!

No worries Brett, I'm writing this off to a "Start of Spring Training KoolAid Trip". :beer:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
A. Garcia has a better chance at winning a Gold Glove!!

No worries Brett, I'm writing this off to a "Start of Spring Training KoolAid Trip". :beer:

Completely disagree with you as do the experts. Before his injury he was a solid #2. His numbers outside of the era said he pitched a heck of a lot better. In fact you take out his first start of the season and I think I saw his era last year was 4.25. I think he absolutely has a shot at it. How likely? not sure..10-20%? For $3m, I'll take that.

I do drink some kool-aid at times, but I don't think this is one of them. :hi5:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

So IOW, the White Sox need to improve greatly to be competitve, and they added a guy, who according to reports can be a chemistry issue in the locker room, yet you consider it a low risk signing.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So IOW, the White Sox need to improve greatly to be competitve, and they added a guy, who according to reports can be a chemistry issue in the locker room, yet you consider it a low risk signing.

Sounds like the catcher we had that won a ring...AJ Pierzynski

The team has a track record of doing their homework.

For $3 million, you can easily dfa him if there are issues. Yes, low risk signing.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

For $3 million, you can easily dfa him if there are issues. Yes, low risk signing.
Ok.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'd be amazed if they didn't at least consult with Frazier about the chemistry issues before making the deal. If they didn't, Kenny and Hahn should set up catscan appointments immediately!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Heck, they should sign Cicotte, all it would cost is an exhumation fee, and he still might have higher upside than Latos!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The Dodgers had a LOT of locker room issues last year. It was a mess that probably ended up costing Mattingly his job. I like the signing because it balances out the staff. Now they need to solve the batting order problem and trade for a good power hitting preferably left handed hitting outfielder. They are out there but Reinny has got to get out of the damned way and let Hahn do his job. He is good at it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You could do much worse fleshing out the back-end of the rotation. Little risk, high reward. His mechanics have changed since he injured his knee, and then the elbow inflammation but still had decent peripherals despite that.

Still -- if he doesn't pan out, no harm done.