The Armchair GM Thread - 2016 Edition

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rondo?? Sure, just what this team needs -- another undersized guard that can't shoot. So he can distribute the ball to other players who.... can't shoot!

Sign me up!

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Draymond Green said the other week that he was being "selfishly unselfish" while that kinda sounds stupid i understood what he means and its something that applies to Rondo, LeBron and Chris Paul

just because somebody racks in assist doesn't mean they aren't selfish players and Rondo is a selfish player. not to mention a horrid fit next to Jimmy...we need a PG with a decent jumpshot atleast

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Draymond Green said the other week that he was being "selfishly unselfish" while that kinda sounds stupid i understood what he means and its something that applies to Rondo, LeBron and Chris Paul

just because somebody racks in assist doesn't mean they aren't selfish players and Rondo is a selfish player. not to mention a horrid fit next to Jimmy...we need a PG with a decent jumpshot atleast
I get what you mean and what Green meant. You're right Rondo isn't much of a shooter, but even if he is selfish, he is a facilitator. You're right, we need a PG that has a decent jump shot, but this team is desperate for shooters in general.

Speculation the Bulls are still pushing for Boogie by the deadline. I know many people don't care for Boogie, but I would be pretty stoked about him.

I bet the Bulls won't make any changes though.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Rondo?? Sure, just what this team needs -- another undersized guard that can't shoot. So he can distribute the ball to other players who.... can't shoot!

Sign me up!

well first off the trade idea I mentioned involved us getting rondo AND gay...so the shooting is improved since gay is lightyears better than any SF we have on our roster currently. second, rondo has a reputation of being a bad shooter sure, but try actually looking at his numbers this season....Rondo is shooting 45% overall and 36% from the 3 point line....those are not bad shooting numbers and are certainly an upgrade over our current PG's shooting numbers :shrug:

not sure how he is a bad fit next to jimmy?? IMO he is a good fit next to jimmy....rondo doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time and he gets the ball to the open shooter on time. I guess everyone is too balls deep into 2016 NBA basketball and have forgotten that the main job of a PG is to run the offense

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
since when?

have you ever watched him play?? he gets the ball up court and gets the team into its offense and gets the ball moving. if your biggest critique of rondo is how he gets others involved then you are barking up the wrong tree

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well first off the trade idea I mentioned involved us getting rondo AND gay...so the shooting is improved since gay is lightyears better than any SF we have on our roster currently. second, rondo has a reputation of being a bad shooter sure, but try actually looking at his numbers this season....Rondo is shooting 45% overall and 36% from the 3 point line....those are not bad shooting numbers and are certainly an upgrade over our current PG's shooting numbers :shrug:

not sure how he is a bad fit next to jimmy?? IMO he is a good fit next to jimmy....rondo doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time and he gets the ball to the open shooter on time. I guess everyone is too balls deep into 2016 NBA basketball and have forgotten that the main job of a PG is to run the offense
lol Rondo absolutely needs the ball in his hands. How else will he get his 20 assists? He's a bad shooter despite the 36% 3pt%. His FG% is generally high, as it should be since he basically only shoots layups. I think he could work in theory, but it depends on his attitude. But if you're just looking for a guy who will rack up assists Rondo is your guy.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
im sorry but i can't have my guard shooting 50% from the foul line

i don't any players shooting that poorly unless your name is Shaquille O'Neal

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
lol Rondo absolutely needs the ball in his hands. How else will he get his 20 assists? He's a bad shooter despite the 36% 3pt%. His FG% is generally high, as it should be since he basically only shoots layups. I think he could work in theory, but it depends on his attitude. But if you're just looking for a guy who will rack up assists Rondo is your guy.

that's kind of a moot argument when he is shooting 36% from 3 this season....those aren't layups :shrug:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
im sorry but i can't have my guard shooting 50% from the foul line

that's at least a legit complaint against him....58% aint cutting it

that said, there are only a couple players in the NBA that have no flaws...everyone else in the league has flaws to their game and that's rondo's. if he was a good free throw shooter he would basically be chris paul

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
have you ever watched him play?? he gets the ball up court and gets the team into its offense and gets the ball moving. if your biggest critique of rondo is how he gets others involved then you are barking up the wrong tree

getting others involved =/= not needing the ball in his hand

Rondo offball is about as useless as Derrick offball

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
getting others involved =/= not needing the ball in his hand

Rondo off ball is about as useless as Derrick off bal

not really the point I was trying to make but sure you are correct about what you said FWIW

my point is Rondo doesn't need to go ISO every time down the court like derrick does. Rondo is content being a PG, a guy that gets the ball to his open teammates as opposed to derrick who wants to go ISO all the time and has a score first mentality

theres only one ball on the court at a time, derrick and jimmy cant both go ISO every time down the court....so would you rather build around derrick or jimmy is the question I guess?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
that's kind of a moot argument when he is shooting 36% from 3 this season....those aren't layups :shrug:
Whoopdeedoo, he's made 36 3s on the year. But hey, more than Rose right?

All I'm saying is, I expect his FG% to be high as he generally plays to his strengths and shoots around the rim. He shoots probably over 60% of his shots within 5 ft of the basket. It's not a knock on him as a player, it's just a fact about his play style. Perhaps he has also improved his 3pt shooting touch, but he's not a guy you want shooting a lot of 3s as of yet. Also a PG that you can play the "hack a Rondo" game with isn't as appealing.

But again, I'm not saying OMG NO RONDO or that he won't work. I'm just saying these are the things you'll have to work with/around when you have Rondo.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
now Curry is a example of a guy that doesn't need the ball in his hand to be effective

he could murder you coming off screens

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
now Curry is a example of a guy that doesn't need the ball in his hand to be effective

he could murder you coming off screens

so again, weve been over this....sure if you get one of the best players in the world on the team then yeah we can be good :facepalm:

steph curry aint walking thru that door

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
so again, weve been over this....sure if you get one of the best players in the world on the team then yeah we can be good :facepalm:

steph curry aint walking thru that door

not saying he is im just giving a good example of a player that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective

Curry IS the best player in the world...dude is unreal

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Whoopdeedoo, he's made 36 3s on the year. But hey, more than Rose right?

All I'm saying is, I expect his FG% to be high as he generally plays to his strengths and shoots around the rim. He shoots probably over 60% of his shots within 5 ft of the basket. It's not a knock on him as a player, it's just a fact about his play style. Perhaps he has also improved his 3pt shooting touch, but he's not a guy you want shooting a lot of 3s as of yet. Also a PG that you can play the "hack a Rondo" game with isn't as appealing.

But again, I'm not saying OMG NO RONDO or that he won't work. I'm just saying these are the things you'll have to work with/around when you have Rondo.

well the argument made by JoshMin was that the shooting would get worse swapping rose for rondo and I was simply pointing out that rondo is actually shooting better than rose is this season. not saying put him in the 3 point contest, just saying he is shooting better than derrick(not saying a ton really). that said, yes you make valid points about rondo that not I nor anyone would deny. like I said in a previous post, every player has a flaw(s) to their game outside of 3 or 4 guys and we aint getting those guys so anyone we get will have deficiencies to their game.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
not saying he is im just giving a good example of a player that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective

its not really a good example when you are comparing to a player in the top 1% of the world at what he does....but sure good example. name me another PG that could play as well off the ball as steph? or anywhere near as well as steph?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well the argument made by JoshMin was that the shooting would get worse swapping rose for rondo and I was simply pointing out that rondo is actually shooting better than rose is this season. not saying put him in the 3 point contest, just saying he is shooting better than derrick(not saying a ton really). that said, yes you make valid points about rondo that not I nor anyone would deny. like I said in a previous post, every player has a flaw(s) to their game outside of 3 or 4 guys and we aint getting those guys so anyone we get will have deficiencies to their game.
Well imo floor spacing would still be worse with Rondo as players will still play way off of him. His percentages might be better than Rose's, even if you remove the horrid start, but guys will play Rondo like a non-shooter, that's just how it is. Unless he establishes himself like a Jason Kidd who drastically improved his shooting stroke and he starts knocking down 3s at a 36% rate consistently at more than 2 attempts per game that probably won't change. But something Rose can do that Rondo can't is knock down a midrange shot. That affects spacing too, though not as much as having 3pt shooters, which, by the way, Rudy Gay is but a mediocre one. All that to say, I see the spacing argument.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
its not really a good example when you are comparing to a player in the top 1% of the world at what he does....but sure good example. name me another PG that could play as well off the ball as steph? or anywhere near as well as steph?
JJ Redick murders players without the ball the same way Steph can.