I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well with how this team's been playing this year that doesn't shock me.

I'm not even mad though, Pau doesn't even finish those post ups half the time it seems like. Taj too. Every post up play is a time waster that usually results in no points.

I can see where you are coming from, but then where do you go offensively? we aren't a great outside shooting team by any means. Pau is an all star caliber OFFENSIVE player, so it does make sense IMO to feed him the ball in the post. Every time down the court Pau should at least touch the ball considering the rest of our roster and the fact Pau's only value comes at the offensive end....might as well take advantage of his strengths or else theres no point in having him out there at all due to his terrible defense. but that's just my opinion again

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can see where you are coming from, but then where do you go offensively? we aren't a great outside shooting team by any means. Pau is an all star caliber OFFENSIVE player, so it does make sense IMO to feed him the ball in the post. Every time down the court Pau should at least touch the ball considering the rest of our roster and the fact Pau's only value comes at the offensive end....might as well take advantage of his strengths or else theres no point in having him out there at all due to his terrible defense. but that's just my opinion again
Imo the pick and pop between Rose and Pau has been one of the most effective plays since last year. Especially with Rose finishing plays (so long as he doesn't get murdered at the rim) at the basket it creates a good look more often than not for one of them.

I have no qualms running offense through Pau, but imo if he's against a post defender with any sort of strength it reduces a traditional post up play to a wasted possession since, as we all know, Pau is a finesse guy not a power guy. Pau is an elite midrange shooter and a great passer from the high post though, so running the offense through him from there should in theory produce good results.

That being said, it all doesn't really matter as the roster itself is messed up and can't do anything right. It'd be nice if we could get enough offense out of McDermott to cancel out his horrific defense, but it doesn't happen consistently enough. Snell is basically invisible and Niko is enamored with shooting from Jimmer range. It's really no wonder that Rose iso, Rose pick and roll/pop with Gasol, and Jimmy iso are the majority of our offense...they're the only things that work.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Imo the pick and pop between Rose and Pau has been one of the most effective plays since last year. Especially with Rose finishing plays (so long as he doesn't get murdered at the rim) at the basket it creates a good look more often than not for one of them.

I have no qualms running offense through Pau, but imo if he's against a post defender with any sort of strength it reduces a traditional post up play to a wasted possession since, as we all know, Pau is a finesse guy not a power guy. Pau is an elite midrange shooter and a great passer from the high post though, so running the offense through him from there should in theory produce good results.

That being said, it all doesn't really matter as the roster itself is messed up and can't do anything right. It'd be nice if we could get enough offense out of McDermott to cancel out his horrific defense, but it doesn't happen consistently enough. Snell is basically invisible and Niko is enamored with shooting from Jimmer range. It's really no wonder that Rose iso, Rose pick and roll/pop with Gasol, and Jimmy iso are the majority of our offense...they're the only things that work.

well that shouldn't be a huge issue most the time since according to most on here the big man position has evolved to mostly finesse anyways :shrug: but you are right, Pau is a finesse player for sure. he dominates smaller guys and bigger guys he cant....that's when he should pop it out and kill the bigger guy with his midrange game IMO

post play opens things up for your outside shooters(which as we have pointed out the bulls are lacking in) and draws fouls that get your team to the free throw line, which to me is important. I know that's an old school mindset or whatever, but get the hell off my lawn then! im cool with it lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well that shouldn't be a huge issue most the time since according to most on here the big man position has evolved to mostly finesse anyways :shrug: but you are right, Pau is a finesse player for sure. he dominates smaller guys and bigger guys he cant....that's when he should pop it out and kill the bigger guy with his midrange game IMO
I'd say the big men nowadays aren't really either outside of the ones who actually have offensive game (Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, etc). They're either just athletic or really strong. Both of which mitigate Pau's low post game. But like you said, he can kill it with the midrange shot which is why I like that Rose/Pau pick and pop.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
heres an interesting hypothetical trade for you clone(since I know youre a fan of GS).

bulls trade Taj Gibson to GS for Speights, Rush, Clark, and McAdoo. the salaries just barely matchup enough for the trade to pass through. GS would get some quality depth behind draymond and Gibson still fits into their mold of having guys being able to switch and guard multiple positions defensively. bulls get back 4 expiring contracts so they will have cap room to offer Durant a max deal this offseason(just in case). maybe a draft pick gets thrown in there somewhere or something. just curious your thoughts

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
heres an interesting hypothetical trade for you clone(since I know youre a fan of GS).

bulls trade Taj Gibson to GS for Speights, Rush, Clark, and McAdoo. the salaries just barely matchup enough for the trade to pass through. GS would get some quality depth behind draymond and Gibson still fits into their mold of having guys being able to switch and guard multiple positions defensively. bulls get back 4 expiring contracts so they will have cap room to offer Durant a max deal this offseason(just in case). maybe a draft pick gets thrown in there somewhere or something. just curious your thoughts
Sure. I actually like Rush and McAdoo as far as role playing bench guys go. I think they'd be more than serviceable beyond being expirings were we to have a good core already in place. Clark and Speights are also decent players for their role. You could really choose to keep or let go anyone involved depending on what they showed which is nice.

I think technically we'd need to send more guys their way since we'd have too many players, but I guess in theory you cut Bairstow and Felicio and it works. I have no idea if GS would want to give up two young guys, but if they did, I can see it as a win win.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sure. I actually like Rush and McAdoo as far as role playing bench guys go. I think they'd be more than serviceable beyond being expirings were we to have a good core already in place. Clark and Speights are also decent players for their role. You could really choose to keep or let go anyone involved depending on what they showed which is nice.

I think technically we'd need to send more guys their way since we'd have too many players, but I guess in theory you cut Bairstow and Felicio and it works. I have no idea if GS would want to give up two young guys, but if they did, I can see it as a win win.

yeah, and I figure a guy like Rush could just be released. just part of the trade to make the $$ work really. I could see GS's motivation for doing it knowing the Spurs are their only realistic rival this season and they have Duncan, Aldridge, Diaw, etc....a guy like Gibson to help defend them makes sense

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All this mention of Rush, I keep thinking it's our glorious leader.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
All this mention of Rush, I keep thinking it's our glorious leader.

rush-limbaugh.jpg

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The owner of this website is Rush.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The owner of this website is Rush.

damn that Limbaugh owning all sorts of media outlets nowadays I see :smug:

czman

Liked Posts:
I have not read the tread so I don't know if I am duping anyone.

I think Bulls should be in sell all mode. At this trade deadline I see two moves that make sense.

Gasol and Brooks to the Cavaliers
Bulls get Varejao who has one more year on his contract and one or two first round picks. The first rounders need to be unprotected and in 2020+.

Trailblazers get Gibson and Dunleavy.
Bulls get A unprotected first rounder after 2020. Blazers are well under the cap so they can take on the salary without an issue.

In the Offseason the Bulls move Butler to the Lakers for 2 unprotected first rounders after 2020.

If you can find anyone to give up a first for Rose, don't care how far in the future it is, do it. If not keep him for a year and go after someone like Lawson who won't cost a bunch and will be a better fit for the team.

See if the Pelicans will move Asik for Varejao so they can free up money sooner. Asik is signed for a lot more years and is not cheap. He would give the Bulls a very good rebounder to go with a what comes next.

Then the Bulls throw a deal at Barnes and make the Warriors match. If they don't match sign him and then go after smaller fish like Henderson, Gerald Green, Marcus Thornton, Brandon Rush. Basically try to find some athletic 3 point shooters who can fill it up. Front load as many contracts as possible. Collect as many picks as possible between 2020-2025.

The team needs to be rebuilt for the new coach. They need athletic 3 point shooters. the team should probably be all athletic 3 point shooters and a center to rebound the ball.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I have not read the tread so I don't know if I am duping anyone.

I think Bulls should be in sell all mode. At this trade deadline I see two moves that make sense.

Gasol and Brooks to the Cavaliers
Bulls get Varejao who has one more year on his contract and one or two first round picks. The first rounders need to be unprotected and in 2020+.

Trailblazers get Gibson and Dunleavy.
Bulls get A unprotected first rounder after 2020. Blazers are well under the cap so they can take on the salary without an issue.

In the Offseason the Bulls move Butler to the Lakers for 2 unprotected first rounders after 2020.

If you can find anyone to give up a first for Rose, don't care how far in the future it is, do it. If not keep him for a year and go after someone like Lawson who won't cost a bunch and will be a better fit for the team.

See if the Pelicans will move Asik for Varejao so they can free up money sooner. Asik is signed for a lot more years and is not cheap. He would give the Bulls a very good rebounder to go with a what comes next.

Then the Bulls throw a deal at Barnes and make the Warriors match. If they don't match sign him and then go after smaller fish like Henderson, Gerald Green, Marcus Thornton, Brandon Rush. Basically try to find some athletic 3 point shooters who can fill it up. Front load as many contracts as possible. Collect as many picks as possible between 2020-2025.

The team needs to be rebuilt for the new coach. They need athletic 3 point shooters. the team should probably be all athletic 3 point shooters and a center to rebound the ball.

1. trailblazers have literally no incentive to make that deal. why would they take on Gibson and Dunleavys contracts and give up a 1st round pick in doing so? the blazers are in rebuild mode themselves, they aren't giving up assets for veterans tied to contracts past this season

2. why would we want to acquire Asik and his contract if you are sending us into rebuild mode? doesn't seem to make sense to me. if you want a full rebuild like you stated, then the last thing the Bulls would do is acquire a veteran player making a lot of $$ for the next few years while we lose.

everything else at least has some foothold in possibility.

czman

Liked Posts:
1. trailblazers have literally no incentive to make that deal. why would they take on Gibson and Dunleavys contracts and give up a 1st round pick in doing so? the blazers are in rebuild mode themselves, they aren't giving up assets for veterans tied to contracts past this season

2. why would we want to acquire Asik and his contract if you are sending us into rebuild mode? doesn't seem to make sense to me. if you want a full rebuild like you stated, then the last thing the Bulls would do is acquire a veteran player making a lot of $$ for the next few years while we lose.

everything else at least has some foothold in possibility.

Gibson is a really good contract. He would start for them this and next year and Dunleavy gives them cheap bench depth/shooting, something every team can use. They would still have enough space to offer a max contract plus in FA. I You bring in a SF and that team is much better. Plus they are 7th right now in the west. Lastly, most GMs are much more likely to give up assets 5+ years down the line. Their is no guarantee they will be with the team.

Asik is making 10 million, so not cheap, but not a complete overpay. It is going to be hard to find a Center. You might be able to catch lightening in a bottle with this coach and a bunch of athletic shooters. Someone has to play center. I don't think the Bulls will be willing to go complete garbage.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Since we're now in the offseason, giving this thread a bump. We have a better understanding of needs and where we are in the draft now so perhaps we can be more player specific or whatever.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
First, fire the armchair!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'll need some time to digest a few things, but a few names I'd look to go after:
Mike Conley
Courtney Lee
Ian Mahinmi
Tyler Zeller
Kent Bazemore
Allen Crabbe