Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All right Bulls fans...

You've all complained about the ineptitude of GarPax. You've all thrown out ideas for what you think would fix this team.

What are the exact moves you would try to pull off if you were GM? Who are your draft targets? Be detailed. Explain your logic. Flex your basketball knowledge muscles.

This is your thread to prove your worth as an armchair GM.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Can we have a link to last year's thread?

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
Good thread, but I will need time to respond. Very busy weekend in front of me.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Rumor is Bulls offered Butler to Orlando for Dipo+1st+another player...don't know how legit that is

Magic supposedly turned it down but i wonder if you remove the extra player would they do it?

Dipo+1st is a offer i'd take

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Rumor is Bulls offered Butler to Orlando for Dipo+1st+another player...don't know how legit that is

Magic supposedly turned it down but i wonder if you remove the extra player would they do it?

Dipo+1st is a offer i'd take
Link?

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
It's also a pretty bad trade.

for who? us? i disagree

Dipo is few years younger allowing us to have some breathing room to rebuild/retool

Butler isn't no superstar and thats probably the best deal we'll ever get for him

3-4 years from now ppl will be on this very board complaining about holding onto Butler too long

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
for who? us? i disagree

Dipo is few years younger allowing us to have some breathing room to rebuild/retool

Butler isn't no superstar and thats probably the best deal we'll ever get for him

3-4 years from now ppl will be on this very board complaining about holding onto Butler too long
Fair enough.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Dipo and a 1st isn't enough for Jimmy.

I would however do Harris, Dipo, and a 1st for Buckets. Preferably throw in Snell and get back Fournier too but that's a mighty rich offer already.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Dipo and a 1st isn't enough for Jimmy.

I would however do Harris, Dipo, and a 1st for Buckets. Preferably throw in Snell and get back Fournier too but that's a mighty rich offer already.

i think Orlando would do that deal

im guessing the 3rd player may have been somebody like Aaron Gordon or Mario Hezonja

otherwise Magic would have been foolish to turn the deal down

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
i think Orlando would do that deal

im guessing the 3rd player may have been somebody like Aaron Gordon or Mario Hezonja

otherwise Magic would have been foolish to turn the deal down

I think the Bulls were asking for Gordon for sure. I don't blame the Magic for not trading Gordon, Dipo and a 1st for Butler.

As for the Harris, Dipo, and a 1st offer for Jimmy...I don't know. They might do it but I would guess they would want the 1st round pick to have some type of protection on it. For it to truly be worth it for the Bulls, the protection would have to be minimal. Something like top 3 protected this season and unprotected next season. Ideally it lands in the 4-8 range. I think that would be a good deal for the Bulls and probably the Magic as well. Payton, Mario, Butler, Gordon, and Vucevic is a nice collection of players.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was reading Butler for Oladipo, Vucevic and a 1st which the Magic turned down.

But I read it on Facebook so I wouldn't count much on that...

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Waive Rose and save 14 million in cap space.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
All right Bulls fans...

You've all complained about the ineptitude of GarPax. You've all thrown out ideas for what you think would fix this team.

What are the exact moves you would try to pull off if you were GM? Who are your draft targets? Be detailed. Explain your logic. Flex your basketball knowledge muscles.

This is your thread to prove your worth as an armchair GM.

fuck it, here goes nothing....blast away!

id start with a trade of Pau Gasol and Felicio(just to make the $$ work) to Memphis for Jeff Green(expiring) and some sort of pick...probably a conditional 1st rounder.

id ship Gibson off to Dallas for Felton, Villanueva, and Dwight Powell(all 3 expiring contracts)

Send Niko and Snell to Denver for JJ Hickson(expiring) and another conditional 1st round pick

that leaves you a roster of this for the rest of this current season....

Rose, Butler, Jeff Green, Portis, and JJ Hickson with Dunleavy, McD, Hinrich, Felton, Villanueva, Powell, Brooks, Moore, and Bairstow

then after the season ends the only guys under contract still are Rose, Butler, McD, Portis, Dunleavy, and Bairstow...leaving the Bulls with aprox. 24 Mil in cap space before the salary cap goes up any even.

Free Agency - Step 1...Offer Durant a max deal. kind of a no brainer, but also a long shot. so plan B would be to sign some solid players to decent team friendly deals. sign 2 or 3 guys such as...

Jeff Green, Timofey Mozgov, Jamal Crawford, Joakim Noah, Ryan Anderson, Al Jefferson, etc...ideally get a wing and a big. if done right you get both and still have around 15 mil or so in cap room.

Draft time is a lot tougher to say what I "would" do since its unknown what pick(s) the bulls will have, so ill list some players I like that kind of fall in the mid first round pick range. so I wont be listing simmons even though I would obviously love to have him, since odds of having a lottery pick are slim

I would really like to draft a PG, the heir to derrick hopefully. the only two guys worth taking mid 1st round at PG to me are Demetrius Jackson and Melo Trimble. other guys I like at different positions...Sabonis, LeVert, Ellenson, Beasley, Bacon, and Damion Jones

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Other than firing the pieces of shitting letting this franchise cruise towards another season mired in mediocrity?

**Rose to Brooklyn for Joe Johnson's expiring deal
**Pau, Gibson and Hinrich to Boston for David Lee's expiring deal, Terry Rozier, Tyler Zeller (RFA) and Boston's 1st round pick in '16

Just in those two deals, you're freeing up $35+ million going into next season's free agency period. And you're picking up another first, giving yourself three potential first rounders if Sacramento can stay out of the top 10.

Once the season ends -- let Noah, Brooks and Moore walk. Decline player options and Felicio and Baristow. At that point, you're sitting at LESS THAN $35 MILLION IN COMMITTED SALARIES. For comparison's sake, the Pelicans have $40 million tied up next year between Anthony Davis, Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans.... wheeze.

With such a little amount of money committed to 6 players, the Bulls give themselves to add (potentially) three more players with rookie scale deals, extending their window to evaluable young players and keep their pipeline going with young, cheap and most importantly -- controllable talent. The NBA predicated last spring that the 2016 salary cap could balloon to as much as $89 million. That means the Bulls could go after two max-level players and STILL have their MLE and three new guys. The Bulls have feigned cap flexibility trying to milk the Derrick Rose years for all their worth. At this point, Butler has been identified as a special talent and the front office needs to figure out if anyone else on the current roster can join him as leaders on a contending team. If not -- start bringing in guys to cater to Hoiberg's system and hit the reset button.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As far as draft targets are concerned.... I guess it really depends on if the Bulls end up with Sacramento's pick. With the situation I proposed being totally hypothetical, the Bulls are trending to pick somewhere in the teens unless the bottom totally falls out or they make a huge surge after the All-Star break (which seems impossible given the rash of injuries).

I'm personally a huge fan of Oklahoma Buddy Hield. Like.... I won't shut up about him. Scouts will whine that he's only 6'4'' in shoes and since he handles the ball a lot, that may clash with Butler since his offensive success centers around him having the ball. Still, Hield is an alarmingly complete player, something most college players lack when going into the draft because they refuse to stay 3 or 4 years to hone their skills and instead, chase a paycheck. I've always been a fan of guys who're ready to come in and contribute immediately instead of waiting for a guy to develop over a 4-5 year window. Hield can come in from day one and contribute. I'd love to see him on a roster with a a sharpshooter to help space the floor and give him the ability to create either off the dribble or from deep.

As far as a later first-round target, I really like Domantas Sabonis from Gonzaga. I don't ever seem him transforming into a superstar, but a lot of his qualities (great motor and mobility for a big man, solid skills on the glass, very good help defender) are similar to what what Taj Gibson has given the team during his tenure and there's not a team in the NBA that would pass up adding a guy like that to their bench.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to comment on draft until projections, but Buddy Heild would be a nice 6th man right away and slot into a small lineup with Jimmy at the 3. If you can get that guy you get him, no worries. But I don't see how.

With our shrunken big court I don't know what we have to sell. We can sell low on Mirotic but that doesn't sound appealing. Can't trade Noah. What is Snell worth? Dunleavy has no value, nor Captain Kirk.

Everything we hate about Dougie so does the league.

I don't like Howard but I feel so desperate about this Bulls team I almost want to trade for him just to throw a dart at the wall. The one thing I will say is Howard and Jordan become more valuable this offseason when you change the free throw intentional foul rules.

He is a bird without a nest, lost in the world. You could try to coddle him until he wears out the team.

I would go hard after a trade with the Clippers and see how you might help each other out in a Griffin trade. Our first, Gibson, Dougie, sac first, and Mirotic. I would trade anything but Rose and Butler for Griffin and try to build around that 3 this year and next.

If I can't get Griffin or Horford, there is nothing out there we want to pay these mark up dollars for.

We are stuck in the garpax plan with gasol expiring. Make a run at Durant, sign Gasol as backup for 2-3 years. You might not like it but he is one of the best values out there. Our only hope is draft picks and development and Roses return.