The Armchair GM Thread - 2016 Edition

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Potential Butler trade ideas

After months of reported tension between Butler and Hoiberg, it sounds like the front office is ready to explore moving Butler this offseason. With that being said, I thought I would start a thread, exploring trade ideas for Butler. Now, I am not advocating GarPax must trade him, just exploring what is out there on the market and what could entice them to pounce. Now, I could only think of two teams right now who offer exciting assets: the Celtics and the Timberwolves. Yes, Thib's new team.

With the Celtics, they would offer more draft picks than players as they have a stash full. Here's what I proposed:

Bulls Receive:
PG Marcus Smart
2016 1st round pick from Brooklyn
2017 1st round pick from Brooklyn (Right to swap)

Celtics Receive:
SG Jimmy Butler​

Now, obviously, this trade isn't perfect. Maybe the Celtics offer a bit more? Who knows. I do know that it is enticing, especially the two 1st round picks from Brooklyn, who are expected to be bad next year too. :)

As for the Timberwolves, we all know Thibs was just hired yesterday as their President of Basketball Operations and head coach. So, this means that he might want his own players like Butler, Gibson, or Dunleavy to bring experience to a young team. Here's what I proposed:

Bulls Receive:
SG Zach LaVine
C Gorgui Dieng
2016 Wolves 1st round pick
2017 Wolves 1st round pick

Timberwolves Receive:
SG Jimmy Butler​

After looking at this trade, the Bulls get a young and exciting player in LaVine, who looks to keep growing as a player, and a promising player in Dieng, who looks like Gasol and Noah's replacement. They also get a projected top five pick this year (maybe it's Kris Dunn, Rose's replacement?) and another 1st round pick next year.

Let me know your ideas and your thoughts on these proposals below.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
Do not like that Celtics trade at all. The wolves one is better but I'd still like a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Do not like that Celtics trade at all. The wolves one is better but I'd still like a little more.

a little more than LaVine, Dieng, a top 5 pick and their pick next year? its no way Wolves would do that deal based on value alone not to mention the frayed relationship between our front office and thibs

anyway i have no interest in throwing out any scenarios but i think his value is allot lower then we all believe...any realistic deal would be way under expectations especially if that Wolves deal needs "a little more"

ive seen other places where ppl pretty much want a superior player+extras :lol:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Unless Boston is stuck on the idea of building with/around Butler I think everybody is wrong that they still have interest. It could be they wanted him last season at their price and when it didn't happen they might have moved on.

I think the Bulls would like the Minnesota trade if tit was bigger. So much depends on whether Thibs likes the roster he's got or he wants to start dealing for 'his kind of guys'. That could be Butler or somebody he hasn't even coached but coached against. If he's looking to deal some of the young players he's got then trading not just for Butler might be part of his plane. Take that original Minnesota trade and add Mike Dunleavy jr or Gibson from the Bulls and Shabazz Muhammad and maybe Adrien Payne from the T-wolves. That gives then Jimmy at the 2 with Dunleavy for one year at a low price as a backup 2-3. Keep in mind Thibs doesn'thave much patience with young players, if he's even willing to play them and he wants defense and court sense that he gets from veterans.

The Bulls would have Dieng to start at the 4 or 5 and LaVine and Muhammad to play the 2 with McDermott at the 3.

Getting picks is way more important to posters here than the Bulls, they don't want to stockpile a young roster unless you're ignoring history.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
You would be lucky to get one first round pick with Levine and Dieng. Thibs aint stupid and he already has Wiggins. He could just sign someone like Harrison Barnes outright or draft a SF.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
a little more than LaVine, Dieng, a top 5 pick and their pick next year? its no way Wolves would do that deal based on value alone not to mention the frayed relationship between our front office and thibs

anyway i have no interest in throwing out any scenarios but i think his value is allot lower then we all believe...any realistic deal would be way under expectations especially if that Wolves deal needs "a little more"

ive seen other places where ppl pretty much want a superior player+extras :lol:

Yeah. Jimmy Butler ain't LeBron.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...e-trades-involving-jahlil-okafor-nerlens-noel

Jahlil okafor is available and we will need a big man when noah and gasol leave. This makes sense. I say trade the 14th and a future 1st.

It would take a lot more than that. We have virtually no shot without including Jimmy. The only other slightly (yet still highly unlikely) scenario that I see is something like Niko + 14 + Kings pick + 2018 1st rounder. Throw in Snell for good measure, even though that might work against us. I still don't see why Philly would accept that though. They're looking for a high pick and/or a similar tiered player to Okafor that plays on the perimeter.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
It would take a lot more than that. We have virtually no shot without including Jimmy. The only other slightly (yet still highly unlikely) scenario that I see is something like Niko + 14 + Kings pick + 2018 1st rounder. Throw in Snell for good measure, even though that might work against us. I still don't see why Philly would accept that though. They're looking for a high pick and/or a similar tiered player to Okafor that plays on the perimeter.

It wouldn't take that much. Okafor isn't exactly a hot commodity. No way they would get someone of jimmy's caliber for Okafor.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't take that much. Okafor isn't exactly a hot commodity. No way they would get someone of jimmy's caliber for Okafor.

They won't but at the same time, they'll get something better than what we could (would) offer. Okafor is a young and talented big man on a rookie contract. He has plenty of value. He had an excellent rookie season on a dysfunctional team and isn't remotely close to his prime.