Atlantis Sports Book

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They have the Giants with 90 wi s followed by the Cubs at 89.5. I love the over for these

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not sure how I feel about the Giants on that one. Their offense is decent but a lot of it comes from Posey and I don't ever trust catchers to stay healthy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Interesting, so after the off season moves

They figured the cubs will decline by 8 games and giants will improve by 6 games

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Giants will improve through the perceived leading Dodgers being weakened. I'm not sure how they came up with the Cubs winning only 89. That's WC material. Weird.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently, they only watched Cueto pitch in the post season and missed Shark altogether.....they should've done a little more homework during the regular season.

IMOP, the best teams are still in the Central Division.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I'd invest heavily on the over there for the Cubs

Not only have the Cubs improved, but the Reds, and Cardinals have gotten worse, while the Brewers are projected to be one of the worst teams in baseball.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I'd invest heavily on the over there for the Cubs

Not only have the Cubs improved, but the Reds, and Cardinals have gotten worse, while the Brewers are projected to be one of the worst teams in baseball.

What about the Pirates? Didn't they release Alvarez or something?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'd probably say 90 is a good number for SF and injuries/cluster luck will decide it. I feel that they could have some regression offensively and while the SP will be better, I was famously not sold on the idea of Jeff Z.

I can't imagine the Cubs are 89.5 win team. While I understand they have clear regression possibilities, the likelyhood of enough guys regressing to the point it hurts the team seems impossible for me (i.e the Cubs have a ton of depth). They have a farm system to get an arm if necessary. They have an elite manager. They have very decent SP depth. And they have a bullpen that likely will be a ton better.

The under on Arizona looks great. Let's give them best case and say they win 38 games started by Grienke/Miller. That means they'd have to get 47ish wins out of the rest of their team. Last year, with a better offense, they were an 82 win team. Add to the fact I think they're clearly third, I just think too much has to go right for them to win 85 games. They just don't have depth. If they stay healthy, maybe they'll be right there. But a 20-30 game injury to Pollock/Goldschmidt, any regression from Grienke, or just general ineptitude from players 8-25 on the roster and they're screwed.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What do Cubs fans know about winning 90 games?

I think the 90 projected for one of the best teams just shows you how hard it is to do. They assume the Ks cost them more, and areieta can't be as good. But Lester should be better. We all expect them to keep progressing and win 100. The journey will be exciting though, at the end of the day a 90 win season is just mathematically unlikely for anyone.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What do Cubs fans know about winning 90 games?

I think the 90 projected for one of the best teams just shows you how hard it is to do. They assume the Ks cost them more, and areieta can't be as good. But Lester should be better. We all expect them to keep progressing and win 100. The journey will be exciting though, at the end of the day a 90 win season is just mathematically unlikely for anyone.
LOL. They won 97 games last year and didn't lose anyone except Castro and perhaps Fowler. Replaced with Zobrist and Heyward. Their division teams did not improve. Several clearly took a step backwards. If the Cubs lose 8 games in the W column from last season, it would be unexpected by most analysts at this time.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL. They won 97 games last year and didn't lose anyone except Castro and perhaps Fowler. Replaced with Zobrist and Heyward. Their division teams did not improve. Several clearly took a step backwards. If the Cubs lose 8 games in the W column from last season, it would be unexpected by most analysts at this time.

They also stayed remarkably healthy last season. That probably won't happen again...that has to be factored in. Even with that in mind....hard for me to see them with anything less than 90 wins. But that's the thing about baseball....once you think you have it figured out, it jumps up and bites you in the ass.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They also stayed remarkably healthy last season. That probably won't happen again...that has to be factored in. Even with that in mind....hard for me to see them with anything less than 90 wins. But that's the thing about baseball....once you think you have it figured out, it jumps up and bites you in the ass.
Soler injured. Russell not up, nor at SS until later in season, Schwarber call up mid-season, IIRC. 3 rookies and almost 4 getting a certain number of AB and still making playoffs? You're right that overall, they were healthy, but there was so much more going on, it's just hard to imagine they won't hit the over.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Soler injured. Russell not up, nor at SS until later in season, Schwarber call up mid-season, IIRC. 3 rookies and almost 4 getting a certain number of AB and still making playoffs? You're right that overall, they were healthy, but there was so much more going on, it's just hard to imagine they won't hit the over.
You can also include an inconsistent lester for the most part, though he did have a good stretch
And
A struggling 3 thru 5 in rotation, especially in second half

Yes injuries and long slumps are always a concern for every team and that what can kill a promising season. .
But
I believe these projections are made with the idea of players playing out a whole season with projected numbers in mind.
So, yes it a surprise to see them only projected at 89 wins, 8 games less then last year with a better roster and having certain players for a full season. .

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You can also include an inconsistent lester for the most part, though he did have a good stretch
And
A struggling 3 thru 5 in rotation, especially in second half

Yes injuries and long slumps are always a concern for every team and that what can kill a promising season. .
But
I believe these projections are made with the idea of players playing out a whole season with projected numbers in mind.
So, yes it a surprise to see them only projected at 89 wins, 8 games less then last year with a better roster and having certain players for a full season. .

....everyday is a good day when you paint

[video=youtube;YLO7tCdBVrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA[/video]

DanTown

Liked Posts:

What health are you talking about? Montero, Hammel, Soler all missed tons of time. The 5th starter was a train wreck all year. Also, the Cubs have insane depth to protect against any legitimate injury risk.

IF hurt - Baez
OF hurt - Coghlan
SP hurt - Warren, Wood

Fun fact: Cubs won games at a 108 win pace last year post all-star break. They don't even need to win THAT many games.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Giants will improve through the perceived leading Dodgers being weakened. I'm not sure how they came up with the Cubs winning only 89. That's WC material. Weird.

It's the second highest total in baseball

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Apparently, they only watched Cueto pitch in the post season and missed Shark altogether.....they should've done a little more homework during the regular season.

IMOP, the best teams are still in the Central Division.
It has nothing to do with who is thought of as the best. NOTHING

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What health are you talking about? Montero, Hammel, Soler all missed tons of time. The 5th starter was a train wreck all year. Also, the Cubs have insane depth to protect against any legitimate injury risk.

IF hurt - Baez
OF hurt - Coghlan
SP hurt - Warren, Wood

Fun fact: Cubs won games at a 108 win pace last year post all-star break. They don't even need to win THAT many games.

Having guys that can play a position when injury happens is not necessarily depth. You replace Lester with Wood and that's a ten game swing. Braynt goes down and Baez comes in (assuming he's not turned the corner) and the Cubs miss the playoffs.