Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

ob1force

Liked Posts:
If Morris Claiborne is cut and comes cheap (he should) he would be an interesting project.

I've toyed around with that idea as well. I'd be more comfortable with him as a depth signing and nickelback candidate though. A lot of Cowboy fans think he'd do better in a different scheme.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Olivier Vernon is getting tagged in Miami, the only legit edge rusher would be off the table.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I've toyed around with that idea as well. I'd be more comfortable with him as a depth signing and nickelback candidate though. A lot of Cowboy fans think he'd do better in a different scheme.

I don't think they would sign him to be anything more than a back up with no dead money if cut hopefully. The guys got crazy talent and natural cover skills he may just need a change of scenery and getting cut may bring have back to earth

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If Morris Claiborne is cut and comes cheap (he should) he would be an interesting project.

I believe he's a free agent. He's played 4 years and his 5th year option wasn't picked up (as a 1st round pick). And I'd like him. If you bring Porter back.....he, Claiborne, and Callahan could compete for the role opposite Fuller and the nickel.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Sounds like Olivier Vernon is getting tagged in Miami, the only legit edge rusher would be off the table.

I never thought he was getting out of Miami anyway. You can't let a 25 year old edge rusher as talented as him get away. Especially considering Wake is 34 years old.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Rams can’t work out a deal with pending free agent cornerback Trumaine Johnson, they will look at the option of using the transition tag, according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Twitter link). Los Angeles has until March 1 to decide if it wants to use either the franchise or the transition tag on any of its free agents.

Maybe Johnson is the priority.

Monster O

Liked Posts:
If money was equal, why would a player want to come to Chicago?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If money was equal, why would a player want to come to Chicago?

1. John Fox is a respected players coach.
2. It is the 3rd biggest media market in the NFL.
3. Tons of opportunities to earn outside of football
4. It is a big city with the amenities many young guys are looking for.

Those would all be factors that play into a decisions to sign with the Bears. The Bears, even when not good, have a built in advantage similar to NY, LA or Miami.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
1. John Fox is a respected players coach.
2. It is the 3rd biggest media market in the NFL.
3. Tons of opportunities to earn outside of football
4. It is a big city with the amenities many young guys are looking for.

Those would all be factors that play into a decisions to sign with the Bears. The Bears, even when not good, have a built in advantage similar to NY, LA or Miami.

Yup. So true. If the Bears offer competitively, they will get a lot of signings.

And people always mention player X wanting to go to a contender to try and win a championship. That way of thinking is flawed 9 times out of 10 because...

A) Player X *usually* won't turn down significantly more money to play with team willing to pay
B) Player X tends to overrate themselves thinking that THEY were the missing piece to turn around said team

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Windy mock-free agency favorite, Garrett Celek signs four-year extension with SF.

49ers sign TE Garrett Celek to four-year extension

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- As expected, the San Francisco 49ers announced Tuesday they have signed tight end Garrett Celek to a four-year extension.

Financial terms weren't disclosed, but a league source told ESPN's Adam Caplan that Celek's deal is worth a total of $14 million, with $4.5 million guaranteed.

The contract breaks down to an average of $2.5 million per season, the source said.

Source

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Apparently the Ravens are making a strong push to re-sign Osemele, not sure where they are getting the cap room from.

The Dolphins are talking about tagging and trading Olivier Vernon. Seems like a risky move at 15.5 million and their cap situation.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently the Ravens are making a strong push to re-sign Osemele, not sure where they are getting the cap room from.

$28.5m of their cap this year is for Flacco. They've already started negotiating an extension.