The 2016 Prediction Thread

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Agree with TYINY on Lackey.
I think Russell does not figure it out at all offensively this year.
Rizzo wins MVP narrowly over Goldy
Jake wins CY Young again narrowly over Kershaw

Other predictions:
White Sox finish 3rd because of back of the rotation issues as well as Melky becoming Adam Dunn with no power or ob skills.
Avisail is an AS this year
Five no hitters are thrown in the league
Alex Rodriguez hits 30 bombs again

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs will win 90+ games
Arrieta,Lester, and Lackey all win 16+
Both Hammel and Hendricks are traded in separate deals
Cubs add 1 starter via system another via trade
Schwarber and Soler combine for 50+ HRs
Heyward joins 20/20 club
Addison Russell win gold glove
Rizzo and Bryant go back to back HRs at least 10 times
Cubs will score 20+ runs at least 4 times
Cubs will lead league in HRs and Runs scored

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will win 90+ games
Arrieta,Lester, and Lackey all win 16+
Both Hammel and Hendricks are traded in separate deals
Cubs add 1 starter via system another via trade
Schwarber and Soler combine for 50+ HRs
Heyward joins 20/20 club
Addison Russell win gold glove
Rizzo and Bryant go back to back HRs at least 10 times
Cubs will score 20+ runs at least 4 times
Cubs will lead league in HRs and Runs scored

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Your predictions started with a yawn and ended with twigs. Don't stand on twigs. :)

TYINY

Liked Posts:
Here's what I don't want: a slow start to the season, say like going 13-20 to start off and feel like the world is crashing down. The pressure of losing can cause a snowball effect that can linger a little too long. You can't win a division title in April and May but you can use lose it (or make it super difficult to climb back in the race).

I've been fooled too many times when I think we can't lose, as we all have over the last 107 years.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs and Pirates battle all year for first place with both making the playoffs while Cards drop back into the pack.
By June, Hendricks will be the #4 starter and pushing Lackey for #3.
Hammel moved at the deadline with some good prospects for Tyson Ross.
5 Cubs will be at the All-Star game.
Injuries will keep the Cubs from winning 100 but they will win 92-95 games.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett the White Sox are not a third place team. 4th or 5th and 30-40 games behind wild card.

Cubs have the feel of a 100 win squad. Not just on paper, but they appear to have the leadership that won't settle for underachieving. They should lead from start to finish, but Aprils can often be adventurous for all.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs win central by 13 games. With pirates winning 89. Cardinals fall back to 80-85.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Brett the White Sox are not a third place team. 4th or 5th and 30-40 games behind wild card.

That's kind of crazy. With that pitching staff and some of the new bats I think the White Sox finish somewhere between 82-88 wins. The low number puts them as a 4th place team where I picked them and the high number could win the division. The AL Central is pretty evenly balanced. I really think that the only team without a fairly decent shot at the Division are the Twins and even they have a long shot at it.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Both the Cubs and the WS will go 162-0 even if we play each other

seriously even if we look stronger i don't see us win 97 games again, everyone is talking about 100+ wins but imho it's weird to believe that Arrieta is going to play at the same level, obviously he will be great but not at that same level, i also think that we will win the crosstown cup

this is a wish not a prediction, i hope that Kris Bryant will turn into our Lebron James and lead the team in HR, RBI, OBP and everything else

regarding the WS i see them finish in 3rd place either due to a bad start or a bad end of the season and i expect Sale to win CY over Keuchel

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Cubs have the feel of a 100 win squad. Not just on paper, but they appear to have the leadership that won't settle for underachieving. They should lead from start to finish, but Aprils can often be adventurous for all.

Damn, Rask....I thought you were a Sox fan. They're not very deep and having a mediocre at best farm system doesn't help...but if they can somehow stay healthy, they could make things interesting in the Central.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, Rask....I thought you were a Sox fan. They're not very deep and having a mediocre at best farm system doesn't help...but if they can somehow stay healthy, they could make things interesting in the Central.

Detroit and the Royals will smoke us. I really don't understand where the optimism is coming from? Because they overachieved by 10-15 games last year, compiling wins at points in the season most of the league seemed disinterested during?

I expect regression to the mean, injuries, unexpected weak points, lack of depth, full scale selling at trade deadline, and an abysmal second half for the ages trying to showcase the farm we don't have.

Kenny Williams was allowed 5 years too many at minimum, and has left us with two fucking players who are above replacement value in the future I see.

I am very down, and just waiting for other fans and management to see the need to blow up front office and start this entire thing over. The Sox are ten years away from even being worth talking about.

In two months you won't think I'm crazy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If allowed the parting cherry of this management group will be to trade Chris Sale.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Detroit and the Royals will smoke us. I really don't understand where the optimism is coming from? Because they overachieved by 10-15 games last year, compiling wins at points in the season most of the league seemed disinterested during?

I expect regression to the mean, injuries, unexpected weak points, lack of depth, full scale selling at trade deadline, and an abysmal second half for the ages trying to showcase the farm we don't have.

Kenny Williams was allowed 5 years too many at minimum, and has left us with two fucking players who are above replacement value in the future I see.

I am very down, and just waiting for other fans and management to see the need to blow up front office and start this entire thing over. The Sox are ten years away from even being worth talking about.

I'm not a Sox fan but I think they're a lot better this year than you think, long term is a different story. I think that's the tightest division in MLB maybe 8 games separating 1st-last.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I predict Russell develops some real pop in his bat and becomes a more complete hitter this season.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I predict Russell develops some real pop in his bat and becomes a more complete hitter this season.

Agreed. He's swinging the bat with a confidence I didn't see from him last year likely from knowing he's the man at SS. His spring stats don't show how he's looked, at least the few times I've seen him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I wouldn't take 10 years. They have a starting 1-3 that most teams would covet. Their corners are pretty good at 1B and 3B. That is a start. They need a cornerstone SS and a cornerstone CF. outside of that they can play the F/A game to fill in the blanks.

The farm needs to get a boost. I believe they need to start playing the same game with the international draft that the Cubs/Yanks etc are doing. Outside of that them pulling some trades for short term's for long term contract should be looked into. Cubs did well doing that. Add they got a haul for Shark.

Now if they wanted to off load Sale.....they would be stupid to do it, I don't see too many teams having the player depth that the Sox need. Just the Cubs alone would have to center it around Soler and prospects. I don't see the arm that that Sox would want other than a 2nd tier arm 3rd piece

End of the day I don't see many teams having the assets to pull that deal

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agreed. He's swinging the bat with a confidence I didn't see from him last year likely from knowing he's the man at SS. His spring stats don't show how he's looked, at least the few times I've seen him.

Think there is a write up on that on the Cubs MLB site. Mostly to do with him learning 2B slowed his development at the plate add to it the normal learning curve a rookie goes through. He should be better after last year and going to his natural spot. Not to mention he has had pop in the minors so all he is doing is adapting to the talent vs trying to add something he never had.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sorry for the delay. the projections continue in the AL West.

Houston Astros

The Astros don't jump off the page at you like maybe the Cubs do but I still like them as the favorites in this Division and likely the AL. The flashy part of this lineup is in the middle of the infield with Carlos Correa at SS and Jose Altuve at 2B. Correa is soon to be talked about as one of the three best players in the game along with Bryce Harper and Mike Trout. He's not a plus defender but he's likely no worse than average a SS with the ability to make most routine plays. Just that combined with his bat, including 35 HR potential and the ability to have an OBP in the .360s, makes him a scary player. Altuve is another high OBP guy that should hit about 15 HR and really got his defense turned around in 2015. You could be looking at getting 50 HR out of your middle IF. The IF corners aren't as good with Luis Valbuena, with good power, at 3B but rookie Tyler white at 1B who looks to play to a decent OPS but not quite the power you'd like to see there. The OF is solid but not spectacular with Carlos Gomez providing some solid defense down the middle. I think they could use upgrades at 1B and at C where I'm not a huge fan of Jason Castro and Evin Gattis is not your ideal DH even with teh 27 HR he hit in 2015. Still this is solid lineup. The starting pitching is a bit of a question mark after Cy Young winner Dallas Kuechel but Collin McHugh is solid and Lance McCullers has a ton of upside if he can stay healthy. The bullpen is deep anchored by new closer Ken Giles.

Key Acquisitions: Ken Giles, Doug Fister

Keys to Winning: Continued development from Correa and Altuve, another top 5 pitching performance from Kuechel and solid play everywhere else should get it done. A deadline trade to upgrade at 1B, C and/or in the rotation could put them out of reach in teh Division come September.

Impact Rookies: Tyler White

What Could go Wrong:

- Starting pitching. I'm not a Fister fan and McCullers is starting the year on the DL. There's not depth either so an injury could be devastating.
- Injuries to Correa or Altuve

Projection: 1st

Texas Rangers

It's not a stretch to say that the two teams from Texas will battle it out all year long. In contrast with the Astros, the Rangers are a veteran team with some younger players in supporting roles. Neither of their two youngest players in Delino DeShields or Rougned Odor look to be stars but both can contribute to the team with solid play. Instead the Ranges will count on guys like future HoF player Adrian Beltre, Prince Fielder and Shin-Soo Choo along with new addition Ian Desmond in his new position in LF. If Josh Hamilton can come back he could provide some OF flexibility. I don't love the rotation as after Cole Hamels it mainly consists of BOR starters. Yu Darvish changes that when he returns from TJ in July or so but I'm not sure it's enough.

Key Acquisitions: Ian Desmond

Keys to Winning: They really need to stay healthy which can be a challenge for an older squad. The starting pitching needs to outperform its history and the bullpen behind CL Shawn Tolleson needs to be better than solid.

Impact Rookies: Unless top prospect Joey Gallo find a place to play, none.

What Could Go Wrong:

- Injuries to just about anyone. this team is not deep
- Starting pitching does not outperform expectations

Projection: 2nd

Seattle Mariners

I love what Jerry Dipoto has done with this club in the short time he's been GM. This was an under performing team that went into 2015 with high expectations and fell flat. Dipota basically remade this team without any big FA moves but rather through trade and a few minor moves. They have an entirely new OF with veterans RF Seth Smith, LF Nori Aoki and CF Leonys Martin. Promising rookie Ketel Marte takes over at SS with Kyle Seager remaining at 3B, veteran Adam Lind taking over at 1B and Robinson Cano anchoring the IF at 2B. Cano actually had a very good last 70 games in 2015 after the worst start of his career and should continue that trend as he's surrounded by some better hitters in the order. The rotation is pretty good, topped by King Felix, 1-3 but then you have to worry about the BOR. The bullpen is much improved and if Steve Cishek can get back to his 2014 form he should be a solid closer for the Mariners. I think this team could compete with Texas and Houston if everything falls right but that's a big if.

Key Acquisitions: Nori Aoki, Leonys Martin, Adam Lind, Nate Karns, Steve Cishek, Seth Smith, Chris Iannetaa, Steve Clevenger

Keys to Winning: To me the key to this team competing in 2016 is how first year manager Scott Servais handles a team off so many guys who have never played with one another before and, of course, how the starting pitching performs. If both of those things end up in the positive column this could be a team to be reckoned with.

Impact Rookies: Ketel Marte

What Could Go Wrong:

- The new acquisitions struggle in their new roles.
- Injuries to pitching, rotation or pen
- Steve Cishek fails to perform

Projection: 3rd

Oakland Athletics

The A's are a team that many feel are the worst team in the AL, and that may be so, but I don't ever really underestimate Billy Beane and I don't see the worst team in the AL here. When you actually look at the lineup they really aren't awful at any position. Josh Reddick is a good player providing decent power and solid defense in RF, Khris Davis, acquired from Milwaukee provides power in LF and Billy Burns is a solid CF. Chris Coghlan rounds out that OF group well playing LF and RF at a starters level. The IF is similar with solid players including newly acquired Yonder Alonso at 1B. Steve Vogt is decent a C and while you may want more out of your DH than Billy Butler he's not going not going to kill you either. The issue in Oakland is pitching both in the bullpen and the rotation. Sonny Gray is one of the 6 or 7 best pitchers in the game but after that there isn't much there. If guys like Kendell Graveman or Jesse Hahn step up to their potential there may be something in that rotation but those are huge questions without answers and Rich Hill, picked up in FA after a comeback season with Boston, looks like a disaster. LHP and #2 prospect Sean Manae could help bolster this rotation at some point but a leg injury is keeping him in Arizona for now. If Sean Doolittle can come back from injury and be what he looked like he was becoming in 2014 they have a closer, but the rest of the pen is like the rotation and full of question marks. Here's the thing though, IF they can pitch they might stay in this thing long enough for Beane and GM David Forst to make a deal or two to really contend. Of course they also might really stink at which point Sonny Gray becomes trade bait.

Key Acquisitions: Rich Hill, Khris Davis, Chris Coghlan

Keys to Winning: This is a team that needs a fast start. If the rotation behind Gray can keep this team in games they can win some close ones at the end.

Impact Rookies: Sean Manaea

What Could Go Wrong:

- Injury to Sonny Gray derails the whole thing.
- Another starting pitcher doesn't step up his game
- Injuries

Projection: 4th

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

So if you're looking for the worst team in the AL I think you start with the Angels. The shame of it is that this is a team with the almost undisputed best player in the game in Mike Trout but other than an aging Albert Pujols and defensive whiz Andrelto Simmons (one of my favorite players in the game to watch) I'm not sure what they have. They certainly have some power in Trout, Pujols and Kole Calhoun but C.J. Cron and Yanel Escobar don't give you nearly enough power from the IF corners. Of course the main issue is pitching. Garret Richards is at the top of the rotation and really the makings of a solid workhorse but would be much better in and MOR slot that a TOR. C.J. Wilson is going to miss at least a month, likely more, Jared Weaver appears done with his velocity leaving faster than last night's burrito, Matt Shoemaker is awful and you've young guys and ifs after that. This is the team that traded away Aaron Blair btw. The bullpen has Huston Street at the back end and not much else. If you struggle to hit outside of your big boppers and you can't pitch what your left with is bad medicine. Trout deserves better.

Key Acquisitions: Daniel Nava, Andrelton Simmons

Keys to Winning: Honestly, I have no idea. If this team wins 75 games i might be shocked.

Impact Rookies: None

What Could Go Wrong:

- Literally any injuries at all could lead to a 100 loss team.
- Garret Richards and C.J. Wilson are bad.

Projection: 5th

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are my fellow Sox fans so delusional? I don't understand it at all. I can't see it.

Compete with the World Champion Royals and 150,000,000 Tigers?

You are dreaming!! In what world? For what reasons?

I tend toward homerism as noted by my continued faith in the Bulls, yes even now I think we have a punchers chance in first round with Cleveland, and my Bears pep talks at 3-5.

For me to quit on a season before it starts takes abomination. Zero chance. That's the Sox chances this season. 0.0. Not 0.1.