The 2016 Prediction Thread

TYINY

Liked Posts:
Why are my fellow Sox fans so delusional? I don't understand it at all. I can't see it.

Compete with the World Champion Royals and 150,000,000 Tigers?

You are dreaming!! In what world? For what reasons?

I tend toward homerism as noted by my continued faith in the Bulls, yes even now I think we have a punchers chance in first round with Cleveland, and my Bears pep talks at 3-5.

For me to quit on a season before it starts takes abomination. Zero chance. That's the Sox chances this season. 0.0. Not 0.1.

My usual Cubs feeling at the start of every year. But I'm on board this year. I'm buying the hype. I can't believe I'm typing that. I always feel the bottom will fall out. I don't have that sense this season. This Year IS Next Year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a semi outside observer I agree.

They have the ammo to fix the bullpen, I think they will acquire a lefty when they settle in and realize, and they don't have a multitude of at bats for Stella, Sczur, etc.

With premium bats collecting dust this team is deepest in league in matchsticks I
imo

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think their division declined significantly, and they have the depth to start to finish like second half last year. Lackey, Lester, Richards, Cahill need to be vintage to go all the way, or aquire one more ace, which I think they will also do realizing they have to push in all chips and be glad they have more chips and ability to keep drafting more. Similar to BlackHawks.

My gut is saying they buy Ross 3 weeks before deadline.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
On to the National League Central.

Chicago Cubs

Obviously, like most of us, I hold a bias here. I've been looking for a way not to pick the Cubs to win this division. Bill James' Plexiglas Principle has proven often that teams that take as big a jump as the Cubs did from 2014 to 2015 almost never improve on their record the next year and the fact that the Cubs Pythagorean win total in 2015 was 90 and yet they won 97 wins gives even more credence to this theory. What it doesn't take into account is that the team added Jason Heyward and Ben Zobrist to improve on their contact hitting, which was a weakness in 2015, and added John Lackey as an MOR starter which allows both Kyle Hendricks and Jason Hammel to move down in the rotation where their skill-sets are more suited. The Cubs even brought Dexter Fowler back which allowed Heyward to move to his customary RF position, where he's arguably the best in the game, and allows Jorge Soler, last years starter in RF to become an upgrade off the bench to Chris Coghlan who was traded to Oakland. The team looks to be improved in OBP, contact and likely even HR as guys like Kyle Schwarber, Kris Bryant and Addison Russell play full seasons while young power hitter Javy Baez comes off the bench. Jake Arrieta is bound to regress some but there's room to do so and still be one of the best pitchers in the league. Maybe the bullpen has some weaknesses but it's starting off in better shape than last year and Theo Epstein still found arms hither and yon. they're also very likely to look for either an impact closer or another starter for the rotation at the deadline and have the assets to trade. I can't tell you how much I don't want to be overconfident and I really didn't want to pick the Cubs to win the Central but I think they are legitimately the favorite.

Key Acquisitions: Jason Heyward, Ben Zobrist, Adam Warren, John Lackey

Keys to Winning: One of the good signs last year was seeing how quickly guys like Schwarber and Bryant adjusted to the league adjusting to them. They need to keep doing that for this team to reach its potential. Addison Russell, now in his natural SS position, looks confident at the plate and needs to be. It doesn't happen often in the notorious non-linear sport of baseball but there really can't be regression from the young stars. Arrieta needs to be some semblance of who he's been the last 2 years.

Impact Rookies: realistically none although top catching prospect Willson Contreras will likely be up at some point late in the year.

What Could Go Wrong:

- Regression rather than progression from young players like Schwarber, Bryant and Russell
- Arrieta misses time do to heavy workload in 2015 or pitches poorly
- Bullpen wets the bed.

Projection: 1st

St. Louis Cardinals

It's really easy to dismiss the Cardinals after an offseason like this one but one should never dismiss the Cardinals. Yes they lost their best overall hitter and best overall starting pitcher in 2015 to the Cubs, yes Lance Lynn is lost for the season and yes Jhonny Peralta is likely out until June but it's not all downside for St. Louis. The Cardinals won 100 games in 2015 with Adam Wainwright on the disabled list for most of the season and he's back at the top of their rotation. Lackey is gone but Mike Leake was signed and Jaime Garcia, and Carlos Martinez are all solid pitchers and promising prospect Alex Reyes will be available after his 60 day suspension for pot. The bullpen also continues to be solid anchored by closer Trevor Rosenthal. If there's a weakness it's in the lineup where there is a decided lack of power and losing Peralta doesn't help. Still Matt Carpenter, Matt Holliday and young OF Stephen Piscotty looks to improve his HR totals as well. It's hard for me to believe that this team won't be neck and neck with the Cubs all season long.

Key Acquisitions: Mike Leake, Jedd Gyorko, Ruben Tejada, Brayan Pena

Keys to Winning: If the Cardinals are going to continue to be a contender in this division they need to see continued progression from Piscotty and 2B Kolten Wong among other players. Yadier Molina is a key to the pitching staff so his health is paramount but Brayan Pena is a nice backup who can help limit Molina's playing time.

Impact Rookies: Alex Reyes

What Could Go Wrong:

- Injuries could hurt this team worse than Cardinals teams in the past. Beyond Reyes there's no pitching coming and none of their position player prospects are ready.
- Lack of run production from the likes of Holliday, Carpenter and Piscotty.

Projection: 2nd

Pittsburgh Pirates

On first glance the Pirates didn't seem to do a lot to improve their club in the offseason, but on closer look this is still a relatively strong team. The key for them is not getting off to their traditional slow start as I think this team may not have it in them to come back like they have the last two seasons. Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, Josh Harrison and young Gregory Polanco are still there along with framing whiz Francisco Cervelli at C and, after a few weeks on the DL recovering from surgery, 3B Jung Ho Kang. That's a solid core but is John Jaso at 1B seems to be a liability and they could have used an upgrade from Jordy Mercer at SS. The starting pitching staff would seem to weaken after Gerrit Cole and Francisco Liriano unless you think you can count on guys like Ryan Vogelsong and Jonathan Niese which I don't. The saving grace might be come form young righty hurler Tyler Glasnow and Jameson Taillon both of whom should be ready to join the rotation at some point this year. Both have TOR stuff but are untested. Closer Mark Melancon returns along with Tony Watson to anchor at least a solid bullpen. If this team can get to the postseason they'll be dangerous, especially if the two youngsters make the rotation during the season, but it could be a big if as it's unlikely the Central sends three teams again.

Key Acquisitions: John Jaso, Jonathan Niese, Ryan Vogelsong, David Freese

Keys to Winning: This team needs to get off to a fast start or they could be buried early by the Cubs and Cards. They've started slow before but this pitching staff probably won't take to a deep hole well and if the rookies come up too early the season is probably lost. Polanco really needs to become the player they thought he was.

Impact Rookies: Tyaler Glasnow, Jameson Taillon

What Could Go Wrong:

- If either Liriano or Cole is hurt or succumbs to poor play this team is in trouble
- Jung Ho Kang struggles coming back from his injury
- Mark Melancon falters
- The HR production dips further than expected.

Projection: 3rd

Milwaukee Brewers

Now we get to the first team in an all out rebuild. The Brewers have really made some nice moves for the future but the drama for this team will be more about when, where to, Jonathan Lucroy is traded and watching the development of young players like SS Jonathan Villar and Scooter Gennett both who will likely be pushed by rookie Orlando Arcia sometime in 2016. I'm not going to run down the pitching staff because it's bad. Willy Peralta might be a decent BOR starter in time but with him at the top of a rotation you know you stink. This team will struggle to win 65 games.

Key Acquisitions: None

Keys to Winning: Yeah, not so much

Impact Rookies: Orlando Arcia

What Could Go Wrong:

- Not finding a trading partner for Jonathon Lucroy

Projection: 4th

Cincinnati Reds

Maybe I should have put the Reds above the Brewers but it really doesn't matter much. They'll both win less than 70 games. The difference is that Cincy still has a legit superstar in Joey Votto and good players in aging vets like Brandon Phillips, Zack Cozart and Jay Bruce. They do have a lot of young pitching starting with Raisel Iglesisas and Brandon Finnegan who could become part of a bright future staff along with two rookies in Cody Reed and Robert Stephenson who could be up later in teh year. Like all young pitchers though these guys will struggle. The bullpen really isn't worth mentioning outside of former set up man and now closer J.J. Hoover who, if her performs in his new role, will probably become trade bait. I actually really like the Reds young pitchers but the position players are a ways off and once guys like Bruce, Philips and anyone else they can move are traded things will get pretty dark in Cincinnati.

Key Acquisitions: None

Keys to Winning: Actually if the young pitchers find their command early this team might stay in it for a while but just doesn't have the horses for the long haul.

Impact Rookies: Cody Reed, Robert Stephenson

What Could go Wrong:

- Not finding takers for the likes of Jay Bruce or Brandon Philips.

Projection: 5th

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
20 Questions

Mods (SilenceS)
Please move this next week to 2016 Predictions Thread
20 questions on the up coming season:

NL East:
NL Central:
NL West:
WC1:
WC2:
AL East:
AL Central:
AL West:
WC1:
WC2:
NL MVP:
NL Cy Young:
NL Manager of the Year: (List of Actives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_managers)
NL Comeback Player of the Year:
NL ROY: (Short list to help: http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/showArticle.htm?id=26425)
AL MVP:
AL Cy Young:
AL Manager of the Year: (List of Actives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_managers)
AL Comeback Player of the Year:
AL ROY: (Short list to help: http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/showArticle.htm?id=26425)

I'll give away a Kris Bryant Rookie Card to whomever gets the most correct at the end of the year.
Everyone is eligible including those on my ignore list.

scottymi

Liked Posts:
The Cardinals won 100 games in 2015 with Adam Wainwright on the disabled list for most of the season and he's back at the top of their rotation. Lackey is gone but Mike Leake was signed and Jaime Garcia, and Carlos Martinez are all solid pitchers and promising prospect Alex Reyes will be available after his 60 day suspension for pot.

You forgot 17 game winner Wacha

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Cardinals won 100 games in 2015 with Adam Wainwright on the disabled list for most of the season and he's back at the top of their rotation. Lackey is gone but Mike Leake was signed and Jaime Garcia, and Carlos Martinez are all solid pitchers and promising prospect Alex Reyes will be available after his 60 day suspension for pot.

You forgot 17 game winner Wacha

I took him as a given, but you're right I should have mentioned him. Bottom line is that I have not written off the Cards as some have.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
NL East: Nationals
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Diamondbacks
WC1: Pirates
WC2: Phillies
AL East: Rays
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Astros
WC1: Yankees
WC2: Mariners
NL MVP: Anthony Rizzo
NL Cy Young: Jon Lester
NL Manager of the Year: Pete Mackanin
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Adam Wainwright
NL ROY: Trevor Story
AL MVP: Evan Longoria
AL Cy Young: Chris Archer
AL Manager of the Year: Scott Servais
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Yu Darvish
AL ROY: Byron Buxton

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
- put me down for 99 wins for the Cubbies this season.
- Lester will be the Cubs best starter this season, not Arrieta.
- Neil Ramirez will get back to his sub 2 ERA self
- Bryant wins the home run derby
- Cubs will acquire a starter at the trade deadline due to injuries and/or lack of production from 3-5 spots of the rotation.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
NL East: Mets
NL West: Giants
WC1: Cardinals
WC2: Nationals
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Royals
AL West: Astros
WC1: Blue Jays
WC2: Indians
NL MVP: Harper
NL Cy Young: DeGrom
NL Manager of the Year: Dusty Baker
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Wainwright
NL ROY: Corey Seager
AL MVP: Trout
AL Cy Young: Sonny Gray
AL Manager of the Year: Terry Francona

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Cubs predictions:

Anthony Rizzo MVP
Jon Lester Cy Young
At least 6 All Stars consististing of Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Jon Lester, Jake Arrieta, Jason Heyward and either Kyle Hendricks or Hector Rondon.
World Series Champs

MLB predictions:
Diamondbacks, Phillies and Mariners make the playoffs.
Starlin Castro makes the All Star roster
Stolen base leader is not Dee Gordon or Billy Hamilton and is either Ben Revere or Delino DeShields.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Going to finish off the projections today. Here's the NL East.

Washington Nationals

I'll start by saying that I am famously NOT a fan of Dusty Baker but he's not without skill as a manager and one of those skills is in getting a veteran team to play to their strengths. Guys like Bryce Harper, Ben Rever, Wilson Ramos, Anthony Rendon, Ryan Zimmerman and even Jason Werth should get a boost in the first year under Baker. As a manger he instills an "us vs. them" mentality that was effective in hos first year in SF and in Chicago. It wasn't as effective his first couple of year with the Reds but that team wasn't as talented as either of his first two teams or this Nationals team. People forget that both Rendon and Ramos had very nice offensive numbers in 2014 falling off in 2015 due to injury and poor play. Rendon could have an OPS well north of .800 and if Ramos can get his OPS back up over .700 with 15 HR these will be huge pieces for Washington. Bryce Harper is the best player in baseball and he will play hard for Dusty. Harper plays with a chip on his shoulder already and Baker will encourage that. The downside is if this guy was an asshole before it will get worse now. Baker likes jerks and rather than help him shed that image he will milk it. Daniel Murphy is not an ideal add at 2B but he'll get the job done there even with average to poor defensive skills. He won't Babe Ruth anymore like he was down the stretch with the Mets in 2015 but he's a solid player. I do question Danny Espinosa at SS as I don't think he's much more than a solid backup and Trea Turner looks to be one of the best of the crop of young SS in the league. Turner might struggle at the plate at first but he's a better defender at SS than Espinosa and beat him out overall in ST. This typical of Baker not going with young players when he has mediocre veterans ahead of them. The pitching staff is still what's going to make this team go and with Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg at the top this is a solid rotation with Lucas Giolito set to join the team at some point. Mike Maddux should work wonders with this staff and Strasburg, in a walk year, is my dark horse candidate for Cy Young. This kid has the stuff if someone can unlock it. I believe Maddux and the promise of an enormous payday can. I don't love the bullpen as it's relatively old and not deep after controversial closer Jonathan Paplebon and Shawn Kelley I think Maddux will help here too. If Maddux can reign in Baker's tendency to make his pitcher's arms fall off the overall staff should be good enough. This team could be dangerous in the playoffs and I'm pretty certain they'll be there.

Keys Acquisitions: Ben Revere, Daniel Murphy

Keys to Winning: This team has to pitch like it can and avoid injuries. On the position side guys like Rendon, Werth, Ramos and Zimmerman have to bounce back to the kind of numbers they put up in 2014. I think if Trea Turner isn't the starting SS by July despite putting up numbers at AAA Baker will be doing a disservice to his team.

Impact Rookies: Trea Turner, Lucas Giolito

What Could Go Wrong:

- Rendon, Ramos and others don't put up peak numbers.
- Paplebon fails at closer with no cushion to back him up.
- The back of the rotation falters and Giolito is unable to help through injury or poor play in AAA

New York Mets

Look, we all know what this team is and that's a starting pitching behemoth. They arguably have two ace quality pitchers in Matt Harvey and Jacob DeGrom with another not far from that in Noah Syndergaard. Lefty Stephen Matz, who pitched well down the stretch in 2015, is my candidate for Rookie of the Year. At the 5th starterspot 42 year old Bartolo Colon will give them plenty of innings and an ERA around 4.2 or so and oh by the way Zack Wheeler should be back from TJ surgery by late July. You cannot question that on paper that's one of the best pitching staffs in 20 years and probably will be in reality. Here's the thing though deGrom has had some troubling velocity issues this spring despit throwing well and you have to wonder if there's an injury coming. Syndergaard also has the kind of stuff that can lead to injury. Obviously you can't predict this stuff and if these guys stay healthy whatch the hell out. They have a nice bullpen anchored by closer Jeurys Familia and Antonio Bastardo so I don't see a lot of cause for concern there. My problems with this team all lie in the lineup. The OF can put up some strong numbers with Michael Conforto coming into his own and Curtis Granderson putting up his normal numbers, although you have to wonder when age catches up. My problem with the OF is that Yoenis Cespedes, who will be great offensively, has zero business playing CF on an everyday basis. Neil Walker, who is another nice offensive addition at 2B, is also a porous defender so the middle of the field is nearly undefended especially when you figure in Asdrubal Cabrera at SS with limited range and himself not a plus defender. The fact that this team is somewhere between bad and horrible defensively might not matter much with the power pitching but it doesn't do those pitchers any favors either. The elephant in the room is David Wright. The team has said that he's going to be able to play 130 games with chronic back injuries but that seems unrealistic for a guy who had 152 AB in in 2015. If he doesn't have 400 AB while playing at a high level this isn't as good an offensive lineup as the team believes, even with the retention of Cespedes. Obviously if this team gets to the playoffs all bets are off because there aren't a lot of teams that can hit against the buzzsaw that looks to be their rotation.

Key Acquisitions: Asdrubal Cabrera, Neil Walker

Keys to Winning: The pitching has to be as good as it looks, David Wright has to stay reasonably healthy and someone has to perform offensively outside of Cespedes and Conforto.

Impact Rookies: Stephen Matz

What Could Go Wrong:

- More than one injury to the pitching staff
- David Wright
- The pitching has to depend on defense more than is expected.

Miami Marlins

In the NL this year it's been generally agreed upon that there are 8 teams competing for 5 playoff spots. While that's likely true it is possible that the Marlins could surprise and be the 9th. Obviously there is talent here with Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton being two of the best in the game when healthy. Of course with Fernandez coming off of TJ surgery and Stanton seemingly unable to stay on the field, the fact that they're great may not matter as you have to play to produce. The fact that the team and Fernandez' agent Scott Boras have already argued about an innings limit, a-la Matt Harvey last year in NY, is not a good sign. The rest of the position player lineup looks to be fairly decent with two of the question marks of whether Adeiny Hechavarria can improve on his hit tool and if Michael Ozuna can be the 2014 version and not the 2015 one. Dee Gordon is a fun player to watch at 2B and should continue to get better and Martin Prado is solid at 3B. I also like Christian Yelich but he doesn't have teh kind of power you expect out of LF and would be better as a 4th OF off the bench. It's not impossible to think that this could be a productive lineup. Pitching on the other hand doesn't look great. The bullpen is a mess with the season ending injury to Carter Capps and while A.J. Ramos is a good closer you'd probably like better for a contending club. The rotation after Fernandez is equally scary. Wei-Yin Chen is an underrated pitcher but more suited to an MOR role than the TOR role he's been thrust in. Young pitchers like Adam Conley and Jarred Cosart would have to have to take some pretty big leaps forward to look favorably on this rotation. I guess the one thing to look at here is the upgrade at Manager to Don Mattingly and the addition of Barry Bonds as hitting coach both of whom have seemed to have a positive influence on the team in ST. The problem is I still don't think Mattingly is very good and Bonds may lose interest quickly in a losing team. I mean in the end this is a team of "ifs" but baseball is a weird game so you can't count them out entirely.

Key Acquisitions: Wei-Yin Chen

Keys to Winning: As I said everything has to go right. Fernandez has to be a Cy Young candidate pitcher and Stanton an MVP contender and that's just for starters.

Impact Rookies: None

What Could Go Wrong:

- Stanton misses any time to injury
- Ozuna does not rebound from 2015
- Fernandez and Chen are not lights out at the top of the rotation
- The bullpen is as as it looks.

Philadelphia Phillies

Obviously the Phillies aren't one of the competing teams in the NL. I like what they're doing overall under team President Andy McPhail and GM Matt Klentak but they still have a lot of work to do. With prized rookie SS J.P. Crawford and RHP Mark Appel not yet ready the Phillies might not look like they have much to watch in 2016 but that's not quite true. Unless you think that Aaron Nola is going to take a leap forward or that Jeremy Hellickson is going to suddenly get good again you don't want to watch the starting rotation. Nor do you want to watch the bullpen who seem to be just a collection of dudes but you never know with relief pitchers. No, if you want to watch this team you want to watch the likes of 3B Maikel Franco and CF Odubel Herrera both of whom could be stars on a competing Phillies team a few year in the future. In addition Crawford could see some big league time this year and maybe even Appel. Otherwise, I take it back, maybe you don't want to watch.

Key Acquisitions: Jeremy Hellickson

Keys to Winning: None

Impact Rookies: Possibility of Appel or Crawford

What Could Go Wrong:

- Franco and Herrera take steps back not forward.

Atlanta Braves

As was the case in my NL Central prediction I suppose you could flip a coin on the bottom two. On the surface Atlanta is more talented than the Phillies, but they also have more to trade off which often leads to a team being absolutely godawful down the stretch. Of the good players on teh team Freddie Freeman doesn't look to be moved but if someone offers them a package like they got for pitcher Shelby Miller you figure they would listen. Talented CF Ender Inciarte, picked up from AZ in the Miller deal, is also unlikely to be moved but again, with this probably not contending until 2018, you would never say never. Probably the same with closer Arodys Vizcaino, once the the Braves and then Cubs top starting pitching prospect who has reinvented himself as a lockdown closer. Everyone else on this team is up for grabs. At first glance you wouldn't think anyone would come after Nick Markakis with his 2 WAR but his $11M AAV ($33 mil left on the deal) is not a lot for the production and if a team loses a corner OF he could easily move, particularly if Atlanta throws in some money. If Julio Teheran pitches anywhere near where he can he's a lock to be traded and ageless catcher A.J. Pierzynski could be attractive to a team with catching problems in a playoff run. I wouldn't bet against SS Erick Aybar being moved for similar reasons. With all those moves made this team would definitely be worse than the Phillies but they might have some guys come up this year too. SS Dansby Swanson (the prize of the Miller deal) could be up later this year as could LHP Sean Newcomb and RHP Aaron Blair all of who are likely stars on contending Braves teams maybe as soon as 2017 but more likely in 2018. RHP Tyler Jenkins could join them as well if only to see if he's a starting pitcher or if he should be groomed as a late inning reliever. Basically though as currently put together this team can't really hit, pitch or defend and the players that can are nearly all on the trading block.

Key Acquisitions: Pierzynski, Tyler Flowers, Enciarte

Impact Rookies: Dansby Swanson, Aaron Blair, Sean Newcomb, Tyler Jenkins

What Could go Wrong:

- Injuries to potential trade pieces

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My AL east is a change from my earlier projections

NL East: Washington Nationals
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL West: San Francisco Giants
WC1: St. Louis Cardinals
WC2: NY Mets
AL East: Toronto Blue Jays
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL West: Houston Astros
WC1: Texas Rangers
WC2: Chicago White Sox
NL MVP: Bryce Harper
NL Cy Young: Matt Harvey
NL Manager of the Year: Dusty Baker
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Anthony Rendon
NL ROY: Stephen Matz
AL MVP: Carlos Correa
AL Cy Young: Chris Sale
AL Manager of the Year: Brad Ausmus
AL ROY: Blake Snell

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Here's the NL West to finish it up.

San Francisco Giants

Much like the Cubs this pick hasn't changed much in my head since ST opened. This is a tough, well balanced team with a great manager in Bruce Bochy and a solid organization behind it trying to win. It's really hard to find flaws in the starting 8 when healthy. The weakest link is probably Angel Pagan in LF but Gregor Blanco is there as the 4th OF and will see plenty of playing time. Denard Span was a solid pick up in CF, also considering health, and Hunter Pence looks to bounce back in 2016 after an injury plagued season. I may not pick him for it but if healthy he should be an MVP candidate. The IF is where this team really shines with Matt Duffy at 3B, Brandon Crawford at SS, Joe Panik at 2B and the solid Brandon Belt at 1B. This team's superstar and leader is Buster Posey behind the plate and all he does is put up great numbers year after year. I worry about bench depth for these guys but without serious injury this is the most balanced team SF has put out there on opening day in a while. As far as the pitching staff goes no one would argue that Madison Bumgarner isn't one of the top 5 starting pitchers in the NL, but the crazy thing is up until his 2 months in Kansas City no one would have questioned putting newcomer Johnny Cueto in that group either and now he's a question mark? Sorry, I don't buy it. Cueto looks poised for a big year. The other big signing for SF was Jeff Samardzija and people rightly question him a lot. Here's the thing though, as an MOR starter this guy doesn not have near the pressure on him as he has in the past his White Sox debacle has to be considered an outlier when you look at his pitch selection. He threw way too many cutters ont he South side of Chicago, a pitch much in favor with White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper, and that did Samardzija no favors. At the end of the season when he stopped throwing that pitch so much he was much more effective and I'm sure Dave Righetti understands that as well. My feeling is that top 3 is as good as anyone's. After those three it's a bit dicier as I'm nto a believer in the resurgence of Matt Cain but if he falters Chris Heston is a week away from being stretched out to start. Then you have Jake Peavy who, while he looks like your grandma should be able to hit is stuff, is unbelievably effective. Again I worry about depth here, outside of Heston, but to open the season this is a heck of a rotation. The bullpen is solid anchored by Santiago Castillo as the closer but if there's a weakness on this team this could be it. If you're looking at what this team might do at the deadline another relief arm is a strong possibility. This team could be a very tough out in the playoffs.

Key Acquisitions: Johnny Cueto, Jeff Samardzija, Denard Span

Keys to Winning: If this team plays like it can they will win a lot of games. Guys like Pence, Crawford, Posey and Duffy are lineup keys while all eyes will be on Samardzija on the days he pitches.

What Could Go Wrong:

- 2015 Samardzija shows up, late 2015 Cueto shows up.
- Injuries to guys like Pence, Span or heaven forbid Posey could derail this thing in a hurry

Arizona Diamondbacks

I really liked this team in 2015 before all the changes they made. They had a dearth of starting pitching but they played hard for Manger Chip Hale every day and stars Paul Goldschmidt and A.J. Pollock were both top 10 players in the NL. This year they went for broke in improving that pitching signing Zack Greinke coming off what would have been in any other year a CY Young winning season and then raided the farm to acquire Shelby Miller from the Braves. In the middle of that rotation sits Patrick Corbin who came back in July of 2015 from TJ surgery and looked fully recovered by the end of the year. If he's healthy this is another 1-3 that will be feared throughout the league. I'm not a huge fan of Rubby De La Rosa at the back of that rotation but Robby Ray has consistent stuff and if he continues to develop could be a solid MOR starter. Top prospect ARchie Bradley is still waiting in the wings at AAA although he has been tentative since being hit in the face by a Carlos Gonzales line drive in his first big league stint in 2015. Overall this is a strong rotation. I'm not sure about the bullpen at all. Closer Brad Ziegler and his weird arm delivery doesn't impress me at all but I like newly acquired Tyler Clippard to take that role if Ziegler falters. The lineup is where this team is going to win or lose. Paul Goldschmidt is a perrenial MVP candidate even though half of the baseball fans don't know who he is. This guy is a monster and his 2015 numbers would have won him the 2015 MVP in years where Bryce Harper wasn't celebrating his "yes I am a superstar" party. Guys like David Peralta and Welington Castillo are solid offensive players and if Yasmany Tomas can be what he should be he's going to help as well. I worry about Juan Segura at 2B and Jake Lamb at 3B needs to step it up as a sub .700 OPS is not going to cut it. Of course the elephant in the room here is that A.J. Pollock is likely lost for at least 4 months after fracturing his elbow in the waning days of ST. This is a top ten player in the league and not easily replaced. They're initially going to try to do so with Chris Owings taking in CF but I really feel that if they are going to come close to Pollock's production it's going to have to be rookie Socrates Brito (best name in baseball btw) that's going to have to do it. In the most optimistic of projections Brito looks to be a solid hitter, an above average defender and the potential for an OBP in the mid .300s. He doesn't hold a candle to Pollock in terms of power so that's going to have to come from elsewhere but if he adapts to MLB pitching quickly Brito could make his his presence felt. With a pitching staff like this the Diamondbacks would make some noise in the playoffs although even if they do get Pollock back by that point you probably figure that they're not a true World Series contender but you never know as baseball is going to baseball.

Key Acquisitions: Zack Greinke, Shelby Miller, Tyler Clippard

Keys to Winning: Pollock's missing power is going to have to be made up, in part at least, by other guys on the team. Jake Lamb was originally expected to be a 15-20 HR guy and now would be the time to show that. Chances are though that they'll need to pick up a power bat at some point this season to stay in the playoff hunt.

Impact Rookies: Archie Bradley

What Could Go Wrong:

- The Pollock injury has probably put these guys out of a nearly certain playoff spot and any other injury could derail them completely.
- Shelby Miller fails to replicate his breakout 2015 season
- Patrick Corbin cannot return to his pre-TJ form

LA Dodgers

There are still some that see the Dodgers as the class of this division. I'm not one of those. Yes, they're loaded with talent and yes they have the consensus best pitcher in baseball in Clayton Kershaw but their injury list is longer than any other team's in the game and even at their best this looks like a collection of ill fitting parts to me. Starting in the OF you can see the talent right off but Andre Ethier is out until July leaving the talented but oft injured Carl Crawford as the primary option if LF. In Cf you have Joc Pederson who looked well on his way to NL Rookie of the Year in early 2015 before pitchers adjusted to him and he ended up the bench. No one doubts his talent but the question is whether he'll adjust to MLB pitching in 2016. Of course in RF you have the mercurial Yasiel Puig with all the talent in the world but somehow unable to to get back to the 2013 form that made him one of the best players in the game. Personally I think he needs a serious change of scenery as both fans and teammates alike seem to have made their mind up about him already but if he can put it all back together he's a stud. Combined there is potential in that OF but the defense is suspect at best. In the IF you have one of the best in the game in Adrian Gonzales at 1B so no problem there but 2B is going to be a combination of the aging Chase Utley and Howie kendrick who has had a lingering calf injury and will start the season on the DL. Corey is a legit Rookie of the Year candidate at SS and looks to be among the best of the current young SS in the league. No problem there and Justin Turner is solid if unspectacular at 3B. Yasmani Grandal is a solid defensive backstop but not much of an offensive force and is another starting the season on the DL. Then you have the rotation. Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher I've seen in the last decade. He's the best pitcher in the game adn it would be hard to argue against that. After him though I have no idea what you have. Hyun-Jin Ryu is on the DL until late May, Brett Anderson is out until the All Star break, Brandon McCarthy has no timetable for return and Frankie Montas, acquire in trade from the White Sox, is recovering from rib surgery. That leaves newly acquired Scott Kazmir as your #2 starter, Japanese star Kenta Maeda behind him and then a lot of question marks. This looks like an ace with 4 BOR starters to me but I've been wrong before. The bullpen, so weak in 2015, has hardly improved but is still anchored by one of the best closers in the game in Kenley Jansen. If they get to the 9th inning with a lead they should be fine but how often is that going to happen? I think the managerial change to Dave Roberts was a solid one, some change was needed in terms of managerial tone, but he's a first time manager with a team full of problems. I don't believe in these guys and don't see a playoff team here.

Key Acquisitions: Kenta Maeda, Scott Kazmir

Keys to Winning: the parts have to mesh. Carl Crawford needs to stay healthy and the OF needs some stability meaning Puig and Pederson have to be much better than they were in 2015. The pitching has to be greater than the sum of its parts and frankly I think if they're in it at the deadline they need to trade for a starting pitcher. They have the prospects for it but will they give them up? Jose Fernandez could be the guy taht turns this team into a playoff contender.

Impact Rookies: Kenta Maeda, Corey Seager

What Could Go Wrong:

- Puig and Pederson fail to improve
- The starting pitching isn't better than it looks
- Injuries continue to plague the team

San Diego Padres

This is a team that seems to lack any sort of direction at all under GM A.J. Preller. When he took over they had a top farm system and a sub .500 MLB team. After "winning" the 2015 offseason by acquiring guys like Craig Kimbrel, Matt Kemp and James Shields they were left with a depleted farm and virtually the same record as before. Declaring themselves still in the race they virtually sat out the trade deadline and got nothing. Now they did make some moves in the offseason including trading Kimbrel but the minor league system has not recovered and the team is arguably worse. 2015 acquisition Will Myers continued to struggle and the biggest acquisition in 2016 is SS Alex Ramirez a barely above replacement level player. The rest of the team is hardly worth mentioning. They'll likey trade pitchers Andrew Cashner, Tyson Ross and possibly James Shields this season, which needs to be done but will further deplete the club. Sorry this team is a mess.

Key Acquisitions: Alex Ramirez, John Jay

Keys to Winning: None that I see

What Could Go Wrong:

- Trades for the three starting pitchers fail to materialize

Colorado Rockies

Another team that isn't really worth mentioning but unlike NL teams such as the Braves, Phillies, Reds, Brewers and maybe even the Padres it's hard to see what's happening here going forward. There's some talent here in guys like rookie Trevor Story who will start the season at SS over Jose Reyes who despite criminal charges being dropped still faces substantial MLB punishment and may never suit up for the Rockies again. Story is another young SS that bears watching and nobody shold give up on former 1st round draft pick Jon Gray although like most pitchers could struggle in Denver. Miguel Castro, the prize of the Tulo trade, has made the roster as a bullpen pitcher and could be their future closer. Whether CF Charlie Blackmon, RF and franchise star Carlos Gonzales or D.J. LeMahieau will be traded this season remains to be seen. The starting pitching is awful with 34 year old Jorge De La Rosa at the top of the rotation and it gets worse from there even with Gray set to join them eventually. Aside from newly re-acquired closer Jake McGee and teh aforementioned Castro the bullpen doesn't fare much better. Maybe even more that the Padres this is a rudderless club with know clear direction in sight. I have know idea if a team can ever win in Colorado given the pitching concerns but it doesn't look to me like these guys are even trying for now or in the future.

Key Acquisitions: Gerardo Parra, Jake McGee

What Could Go Wrong:

- failure to trade assets for young players to augment guys like Story, Gray and Castro. There's something to be built here but will they have they have the stones to do it?

Impact Rookies: Trevor Story, Jon Gray

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WC2: D-Backs
AL East: Blue Jays
AL West: Rangers
WC1: Tigers
WC2: Indians
NL MVP: Kris Bryant
NL Cy Young: Kershaw
NL Manager of the Year: Chip Hale
NL Comeback Player of the Year: Jose Fernandez
NL ROY: Luca Gioloto
AL MVP: Miggy
AL Cy Young: Garrett Richards
AL Manager of the Year: Jeff Banister
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Starlin Castro :smug2:

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NL East Nationals
NL West: Dodgers
WC2: Giants
AL West: Rangers
WC1: Tigers
WC2: Astros
NL MVP: Rizzo
NL Cy Young: Bumgarner
NL Manager of the Year: Hurdle
NL ROY: Matz
AL Cy Young: Sale
AL Manager of the Year: Hinch
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Darwish
AL ROY: Buxton

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
WC1: Cardinals
WC2: Dodgers
AL Central: Tigerls
AL West: Astrps
WC1: Indians
WC2: Mariners
NL MVP: Rizzo
NL Cy Young: Kershaw
NL Manager of the Year: Baker
NL ROY: Seager
AL Cy Young: Sale
AL Manager of the Year: Francona
AL Comeback Player of the Year: Darwish
AL ROY: Buxton

DanTown

Liked Posts:
NL East
1. New York
2. Washington (WC)
3. Florida
4. Atlanta
5. Philadelphia

1. Chicago
2. Pittsburgh
3. St Louis
4. Milwaukee
5. Cincinnati

1. LA Dodgers
2. San Francisco (WC)
3. San Diego
4. Arizona
5. Colorado

Giants over Nationals in playin game
Cubs over Giants in 4
Dodgers over Mets in 5
Cubs over Dodgers in 5

NL MVP - Bryce Harper
NL ROY - Corey Seager
NL MOY - Terry Collins
NY CY - Clayton Kershaw

AL East
1. Boston
2. Toronto (WC)
3. Tampa Bay
4. New York
5. Baltimore

Central
1. Cleveland
2. Kansas City (WC)
3. Chicago
4. Detroit
5. Minnesota

West
1. Texas
2. Houston
3. Seattle
4. LA Angels
5. Oakland

Toronto over Kansas City in the WC game
Boston over Toronto in four
Cleveland over Texas in three
Cleveland over Boston in six

AL MVP - Carlos Correra
AL ROY - Bryan Buxton
AL MOY - Terry Francona
AL Cy - David Price

Cubs over Indians in seven games

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And the prediction game is over. Thanks everyone who played and answered the questions. See you in November to announce a winner.