The 2016 Prediction Thread

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
By popular demand...

I haven't given a lot of thought yet but I'll throw these two out there:

- Pittsburgh finishes 10 games back of the Cubs and 7 games back of St. Louis and misses the playoffs.
- Addison Russell has a breakout second year at the plate bringing his K rate down to under 25% and his walk rate up to about 10% with a slash close to .270/.330/.425 and 16 HR.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this predictions for the Cubs or predictions in general for the upcoming season? I was thinking predict the divisions in order of finish. The playoffs then the World Series winner. Then, do a couple of bold predictions whether it be for the Cubs or another team.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is this predictions for the Cubs or predictions in general for the upcoming season? I was thinking predict the divisions in order of finish. The playoffs then the World Series winner. Then, do a couple of bold predictions whether it be for the Cubs or another team.

do it all in this one thread so it's all together. I think extra points per day that a right prediction was made prior to the start of the season. Ex. Predicting the Rays win the AL East after they trade for Trout and Harper with Single A pieces right before the season starts is not as impressive as doing that today.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am going to agree with quite a few on this one, the best division in all of baseball will be the AL Central. The least interesting division will be the NL Central.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I am going to agree with quite a few on this one, the best division in all of baseball will be the AL Central. The least interesting division will be the NL Central.

I agree on the NL Central but go back and forth as to whether the AL Central or AL East will be the most interesting race. Both Divisions have 5 teams that could end up on top.

I want to wait until closer to the season for all my Division picks but so far I think I can lock in the Cubs and Astros. Everything else could definitely be affected by injuries.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  1. Schwarber shows himself to be a capable backup catcher and Ross suffers a mysterious injury immediately post-AS Break.
  2. Soler is going to prove himself to be a better hitter than many of the "core" and also be an even better OF than many thought he could be.
  3. Cubs are going to win 93+ games
  4. Heyward will be a better CF when he plays there than many have thought.
  5. Contreras will come up late season and never be sent back down, making Miggy a trade candidate next off-season.
  6. Baez proves himself a capable MLB hitter and when Tampa Bay gets far behind in the AL East, they will give up top pitching for him.

Yes. Some of these seem crazy and I am sure I will miss on a few of these. Flame away. :D

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
  1. Schwarber shows himself to be a capable backup catcher and Ross suffers a mysterious injury immediately post-AS Break.
  2. Soler is going to prove himself to be a better hitter than many of the "core" and also be an even better OF than many thought he could be.
  5. Contreras will come up late season and never be sent back down, making Miggy a trade candidate next off-season.
  6. Baez proves himself a capable MLB hitter and when Tampa Bay gets far behind in the AL East, they will give up top pitching for him.

Yes. Some of these seem crazy and I am sure I will miss on a few of these. Flame away. :D

I agree on 3,4 & 6 and 5 I think you may just be a few months early on as I think Contreras is the primary C in 2017. 1 I have trouble with but stranger things have happened. 2 I hope you're right but I just don't quite Soler that way. Solid everyday MLB player? Absolutely, but a star? I'm not sure I see that. 6 is very possible but would be difficult to do this year unless an infielder comes back in trade. I'd say the odds of Baez being traded are aobut 50/50 while with Soler I tend to think it's 70/30.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The NL will hold at least five of the top 7 spots in power rankings all year long but it won't beat the AL in IL play.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

My only flame is #3. That's almost on par with us having a few weeks of sub 32 degree temperature this coming winter.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
My only flame is #3. That's almost on par with us having a few weeks of sub 32 degree temperature this coming winter.

Maybe, but I'm never inclined to predict any team at over 94 wins and it's rare that even computer projection models do (although the two main models have the Cubs at 95 and 96 this year). Everything over 94-95 games has an element of real luck involved. After all the Cubs won 97 games last year but should have (according to Pythagorean totals) only won 90 and Washington should have won the same number but only won 83. Personally I think the Cubs will win 100 games but I'm not prepared to go out on that limb.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Maybe, but I'm never inclined to predict any team at over 94 wins and it's rare that even computer projection models do (although the two main models have the Cubs at 95 and 96 this year). Everything over 94-95 games has an element of real luck involved. After all the Cubs won 97 games last year but should have (according to Pythagorean totals) only won 90 and Washington should have won the same number but only won 83. Personally I think the Cubs will win 100 games but I'm not prepared to go out on that limb.
On the surface this is true as you state. But when you look at it, you got 6 teams in the NL that are "mailing it in." It's like the card game spades. I have 5 of the 13 tricks, but someone bid zero before I had my turn. So I increase my bid by two more tricks knowing full well I have a couple of losing cards that are now winners because of that. Same holds true in the NL. It's got 15 teams of which 6 are already out. You got 9 teams competing for 5 spots. Are all of those 9 teams for real? Not for me. I only see the Mets, Nats, Cubs, Cards, Giants, Dodgers. I could be persuaded to add the Dbacks and the Pirates, but I think they are a full tier down from the other 6. That's how you get to the extra wins for me. Is that technical down to a formula? Nope. But I think it's logical even if I can't put it into an equation.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm going to call the Cubs winning the NL Central and the first round of the NLDS. I am also going to say the team wins 98 games despite Lackey taking a big step back.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll go with 96 wins. I can't expect Arrieta to toss 22 wins again but the rest of the rotation should pick up the rest.

Russell should get most improved 2nd year. Best will be between Schwarber and Bryant again. Can see those 2 pushing 30-35 HR each this year.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Predictions:

Cubs get 96 wins.
No trades of Soler or Baez, instead a package involving a few of their top ten prospects not in the majors will be dealt, particularly from an AL team, thinking the Indians.
Back to Baez and Soler, they will be playing with great match ups since they won't be playing everyday, so their value will go to high to be traded, and thus will be needed for a deep playoff run.
The Cubs will draft a college pitcher or two who could be ready for 2017.
Hendricks and Warren will have incredible years, pushing Hammel into a bullpen role or trade bait in the trade mentioned above.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I've started breakdowns/projections on all of the divisions on another site so I thought I would post them here as well. It will probably take me a week or so to finish but here are the first two.

Let's start with the AL Central. I go back and forth over whether this or the AL East will be the most competitive division in MLB. I really believe any team can win it except maybe the Twins and there are others who like them a lot. Many of the projection models are picking Cleveland but opinions run the gamut. Mine will be in the order I see them as of today 3/22

Detroit Tigers

To me the Tigers look to be the class of the division this year. The acquisitions of Justin Upton, Jordan Zimmerman and even Cameron Maybin should make this team stronger than it was in 2015. They can flat out hit and might be the best offensive team in the AL or at least in the team photo with Toronto and Baltimore. If they have a weakness it's that they are bit right handed but most of the players splits with righty/lefty are not significant. What sets them apart from a team like Baltimore is that they can pitch as well. A rotation of Verlander, Zimmerman, Sanchez, Norris and Pelfrey could be very strong given health and upside. Verlander is never going to be the pitcher he was but he seems to have settled in with a fastball velocity around 92 mph and his command in the second half of 2015 was impressive. The bullpen looks to be the best Detroit has put together in years especially if K-Rod can perform at the closer position. Bottom line is if these guys hit and pitch like they can they should be the best team in this tough division. I don't know if they have a strong playoff run in them, largely on the basis of pitching, but they should get there.

Key acquisitions: Cameron Maybin, Justin Upton, Jordan Zimmerman, Francisco Rodriguez

Keys to winning: Justin Verlander, Annibel Sanchez, Daniel Norris, Nick Castellanos

Impact rookies: None

What could go wrong:

- 2015 successes don't carry over to 2016.
- Sanchez is unable to make at least 25 starts.
- Zimmerman's velocity decrease continues.
- Nick Castellanos doesn't progress from his 2015 numbers.
- Injuries to key hitters like Cabrera, Upton or Victor Martinez.

Projected Finish: 1st

Cleveland Indians

As I said above many of the computer projection models pick Cleveland to be the class of this division largely based on the pitching staff and the presence of young stars like Francisco Lindor. Michael Brantley and Jason Kipnis are solid pieces to the puzzle and the addition of veterans Mike Napoli and Juan Uribe at the corners, along with youngster Jose Ramirez backing up at 3B, SS and 2B the infield appears to be one of the best in baseball. Yan Gomes is a very good catcher looking to rebound some from 2015. The issues I see with Cleveland are in the OF with Michael Brantley likely to start the season on the DL coming back from injury and the suspension of Abraham Almonte for a positive PED test. Marlon Byrd is a solid stop gap but you get the feeling they are a trade away from having a solid OF even after Brantley and Almonte return. The bullpen is solid but unspectacular with Cody Allen remaining at CL following a 34 SV season in 2015. The issue right now with Allen is a slight loss of velocity which has allowed him to get roughed up a bit in ST. If the velocity returns he should be fine. Obviously the strength of the team is in the rotation with Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Danny Salizar and Trevor Bauer at 1-4 with Josh Tomlin and Cody Anderson competing for the 5 spot in the rotation. This is probably the second best rotation in MLB outside of the Mets but the depth is thin and neither Tomlin nor Anderson have been sharp in the spring. This team is built for a playoff run but with the Wild Card teams likely to come out of the AL East and West they're going to have to win the Division to even get there.

Key Acquisitions: Mike Napoli, Juan Uribe, Marlon Byrd

Keys to Winning: Rotation, rotation, rotation along with the continued development of Lindor. Also the health of Brantley going forward. Terry Francona is one of the best managers in the game.

Impact Rookies: It's possible that either or both of Bradley Zimmer or Clint Frazier could come up and contribute late in the season and give the OF a boost but Frazier hasn't played an inning out of A+ and Zimmer performed poorly after his promotion to AA last year. With their OF deficiencies the Indians sure could use these guys but their likelihood of impacting the 2016 squad is slim.

What Could Go Wrong:

- Brantley either takes longer than expected to return or isn't doesn't return to form quickly
- The starting pitching depth is relatively weak after the top 4. If there's a long injury to one of those guys it could be a long season for Cleveland.
- Cody Allen's velocity loss is symptomatic of a larger problem and does not return.

Projected Finish: 2nd

Kansas City Royals

Yes, I picked against them last year and was horribly wrong. The thing is that the model that they are built upon with solid but unspectacular starting pitching, a lights out bullpen, great defense and high contact rate hitters has never been sustained before. History tells us that their 281/.347/.426 slash with RISP is unsustainable. the closest comp is actually the 2009 Angels who won 97 games and dipped to 80 wins in 2010. Despite the numbers so far this team has made it work and you have to give them all the credit in the world. Given bullpen volatility the chances of this bullpen continuing to be as great as it has been are small, but if it does continue this team certainly challenges for the Division, if not a return to the World Series. The organization is impressive and you have to give them credit for resigning Alex Gordon who everyone figured was gone. The signing of Ian Kennedy is a head scratcher as there were other pitchers available earlier in the offseason for AAVs not that far above his numbers. All that said how to you pick against a team that has been in the WS the last two years and won last year in 5 games? I guess that I think that some of that was due to the gigantic chip on their shoulder they had in 2015 after losing to the Giants in 2014 and those kinds of motivations are not as strong after winning. That said I will not be surprised to see them in the mix all year nor will a playoff berth surprise me. Their recent history demands that respect even if I don't understand how you win with Ned Yost.

Key Acquisitions: Ian Kennedy

Keys to Winning: The Royals need to continue to have a superior bullpen to make up for a mediocre starting staff. Ian Kennedy and Yordano Ventura have to be much better than advertised if the bullpen even slips a little. Maintain their superiority in runs scored and runs against while maintaining a league leading K rate.

Impact Rookies: Although he was sent down to minor league camp the possibility that Kyle Zimmer pitches in the Royals rotation this year still exists. When healthy he has TOR stuff.

What Could Go Wrong:

- This team is nowhere near as deep as the last two years and injuries, like the one Gordon sustained last year, will be much more difficult to overcome
- The bullpen isn't dominant. In their model it needs to be to make up for a rotation with a combined ERA in the 4.4 range.
- A mental letdown. This team has believed in themselves for the last two years and it showed. To me this is not always a huge factor but is more of one than extreme stat heads would have you believe.

Projected Finish: 3rd

Chicago White Sox

In following Chicago sports as closely as I do I can't help but know the White Sox and their organization pretty well, despite not being a real fan of the team. Their biggest problem seems to be that they are unable, or unwilling, to pick a lane in terms of what they want to be. Because their fan base is completely un-supportive unless they're winning they have determined that a Cubs/Astros type rebuild is out of the question and frankly their scouting doesn't seem up to the task even if they went that way. They seem to be excellent at scouting college pitchers and other teams castoffs but position players elude them. So that leads to 2016 White Sox who have an excellent 3/5 of a rotation in Chris Sale, Jose Quintan and Carlos Rodon with 2015 1st round draft pick Carson Fulmer looking to join them this summer as the 4th but offensively tehy seem to be all over the place. They seem to like power but they don't value contact or OPS so they play a real "all or nothing" style game and Quintana in particular suffers from lack of run production. the back of the rotation is a bit tough with the crazy and often unproductive Mat Latos and the ghost of John Danks. The defense is faulty which hurts the pitchers as well. Austin Jackson should help in CF this year but they've got Brett Lawrie at 2B which is statistically his worse position. Still 3 TOR arms should win you some games and it's not like they have no bats. Melky Cabrera, Jose Abreau, Lawrie and Todd Frazier can all provide power but with Jimmy Rollins at SS, Avisail Garcia in RF and Alex Avila at C there are still some holes in the lineup. They needed one more impact bat and they missed on several of their targets. The bullpen is solid though anchored by closer David Robinson so with some breaks they could right in this thing. Because of the strong rotation they would be a dangerous team to play in the playoffs but their road there in a very tough division is unclear at best.

Key Acquisitions: Brett Lawrie, Todd Frazier, Mat Latos, Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson

Keys to Winning: The rotation has to be as good as advertised and they have to score runs well in excess of last year's debacle.

Impact Rookies: Carson Fulmer should be up by June or July and top prospect Tim Anderson could relieve Rollins at SS sometime this season.

What Could Go Wrong:

- An injury to any of the "big three" starters would be devastating and with Chris Sale's unusual delivery and slight frame he is always at risk.
- Guys like Jackson, Rollins, Garcia and Avila hit like Jackson, Rollins, Garcia and Avila.
- There is really no OF depth to speak of so any injuries there would hurt them badly.
- Robin Ventura continues to be bad at managing.

Projected Finish: 4th

Minnesota Twins

This is probably the team in baseball I know the least about. I can't say that I saw them play more than once or twice in 2015 and while they were winning during the times I watched them I couldn't quote figure out how. When Phil Hughes is your number one starter with Ervin Santana just behind I don't see contender but some do so what do I know? they do have some young players I really like though in Miguel Sano in RF and seemingly perennial top prospect baseball in CF but Sano has to prove he can do what he did in 2015 long term and Buxton has to do better than a .576 OPS. The Twins are high on Eddie Rosario in LF but he really needs to hit for more power if he's going to have a .289 OBP. The infield is mediocre at best and the creaky Joe Mauer is still in the lineup at 1B. Again, if this team is a legit contender it will do on the basis of things I don't see. The eye test and the stats tell me this is one of the worst teams in the AL.

Key Acquisition.s: None really

Keys to Winning: Byram Buxton and Miguel Sano are the stars that the Twins think they are. The pitching is way better than it looks.

Impact Rookies: Buxton, RHP Jose Berrios, Jorge Polanco all of whom should see action in 2016. Berrios has TOR stuff.

What Could go Wrong:

- Buxton is a bust.
- Phil Hughes, Ervin Santana an the rest of the rotation can't get the starting ERA under 4.5.

Projection: 5th

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Here's the AL East. Much like the Central almost any team can win this but overall I think this division has a lot more talent.

Boston Red Sox

This is such a tough one. Every instinct I have says Boston should win this but it's easy to second guess. On paper this team looks like a solid offensive team, can play defense, has a bonafide ace in David Price and (arguably) the best closer in the game in Craig Kimbrel. The rest of the bullpen is solid too so on days when Price doesn't pitch Boston seem to be planning to employ the Royals' strategy of using multiple pitchers and matchups to get to the lockdown closer an set up men. It really should work. In addition they have a legit MVP candidate in Mookie Betts, a solid young SS in Xavier Bogaerts and one of the best young catchers in the game in Blake Swihart. Plus veteran leadership in Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz. They have an impossible decision to make in Travis Shaw who wold possibly be an upgrade at either 1B or 3B but with the money paid to Hanley Ramirez and Pedro Sandoval the decision is not simple. I think it's a formula for a winning squad but it's a tough division. Also this isn't a pitching staff built for a long playoff run so one would think that if they're solidly in it in July Dave Dombrowski will go get an arm.

Key Acquisitions: David Price, Craig Kimbrel, Carson Smith

Keys to Winning: Clay Buchholz has to have more than 115 IP and Jeff Porcello has to be better. Also someone on the back end of that rotation has to step up be it Joe Kelly or Eduardo Rodriguez, the latter of whom is starting the season on the DL. The bullpen has to live up to what it looks like on paper and the 1B and 3B situations have to be settled. If they can get to the 7th inning with leads more often than not one would think that Koji Uehara, Carson Smith and Kimbrel can lock it down on most days.

Impact Rookies: Brian Johnson could see some time in teh rotation if things don't go well early.

What Could Go Wrong:

- Ramirez and Sandoval are both bad. If one is bad Travis Shaw is a more than suitable replacement based on solid last year in a decent sample size and a monster spring, but if both falter there's trouble.
- Buchholz and Porcello aren't solid contributors to the rotation.
- Carson Smith's funky delivery keeps him out longer than expected or multiple times in the season.
- Jackie Bradley Jr. regresses.
- Rusney Castillo is bad.

Projected Finish: 1st

Toronto Blue Jays

The Blue Jays are every bit as capable of winning the division as Boston is. For me it's more or less a coin flip and the fact that Marcus Stroman is almost completley untested. He's never thrown more than 130 innings in a season at any level and will be asked to pitch 200 this year and be his team's ace. Lots of pressure for a 24 year old. there's no question he has the stuff but that's not always enough. Toronto does have more help after Stroman than Boston has after Price in Marco Estrada, J.A. Happ and the dependable R.A. Dickey though it's not like he's being asked to go it alone. The bullpen is solid if unspectacular and looks to be anchored by Drew Storen as the closer although they haven't named him such as of yet. Offensively, as long as they're healthy, this team is going to hit and score a ton of runs. The likes of Bautista, Encarnacion, Tulo and reigning MVP Josh Donaldson will see to that. Again, with more confidence in the pitching and a tad more depth I'd be picking them to win this division. If they do they're probably better set up for a playoff run than anyone else in the East.

Key Acquisitions: Drew Storen, J.A. Happ

Keys to Winning: It's all about the pitching staff and health. If they stay healthy and can pitch then they will win.

Impact Rookies: None

What Could Go Wrong:

- Stroman can't perform like an ace or gets hurt.
- Injuries to guys like Tulo or Danaldson as there is very little depth and no rookies to come up and save the day.
- Bad Drew Storen shows up.
- J.A. Happ is J.A. Happ, not the guy we saw in Pittsbugh last year

Projection 2nd:

Tampa Bay Rays

The Rays are the sexy pick in this division. Most projection models have them winning the division and a lot of writers do as well. I'm sorry but I don't see it. There is no question they can pitch. With the likes of Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi, Matt Moore and Drew Smyly with Alex Cobb due back in August and LH phenom Blake Snell likely up by June or so they are going to be scary for hitters. They've shuffled their bullpen but it should be solid as well although with the trade of Jake Mcgee and the injury to closer Brad Boxberger there are some concerns there. As far as hitting goes it's a different story. Corey Dickerson, Kevin Kiermaier and the aging Evan Longoria are all good hitters and play their positions well. Steven Souza Jr. looks to have all teh tools but has underachieved. To me this team is at least one bat short and probably two. If the pitching keeps them in it there are certainly deals to made with pitching at a premium throughout the league but they all offseason for that and didn't pull the trigger. If they do stay in it, make a move and get to the playoffs that pitching could take them a long way but that's a lot of ifs.

Key Acquisitions- Corey Dickerson, Brad Miller, Danny Farquhar

Keys to Winning- There have to be some guys that aren't expected to hit much that do. Miller would be an example. If he could continue to improve his OBP and contact rate he could really help the team. He's already a solid defensive player. Again, if they are in this thing they need an impact bat before it's all said and done.

Impact Rookies: Blake Snell

What Could Go Wrong:

- Injuries to the key position players like Longoria, Dickerson, Kiermiaer.
- Further injuries to teh bullpen
- The bats have to at least give them enough to win some tight ballgames early in order to be in a position to make deals in July.

Projection: 3rd

Baltimore Orioles

It's really hard to project a team that can't really pitch a lick but has thumpers up and down the lineup. Obviously with Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo, Manny Machado and Pedro Alvarez they're going to hit plenty of HR and score a lot of runs. They're going to need to because when you're #1 starter has a 4.22 career ERA and and career FIP closer to 5.0 you've got troubles. They picked up Yovani Gallardo as their #2 but he's more suited to be BOR starter at this point. Zach Britton is a good closer and the rest of the bullpen is OK, if not particularly overwhelming, but these guys aren't like the Royals where the bullpen can mask all sins. The strange part is that these guys spent more money in the offseason than any other team in MLB and I don't think they got better. Even if they somehow get to the top of this division, which I just can't see, they're toast in the playoffs.

Key Acquisitions: Pedro Alvarez, Yovani Gallardo, Mark Trumbo

Keys to Winning: Score a lot of damn runs and pray.

Impact Rookies: None

What Could Go Wrong:

- Matt Weiters continues his trend of making pitchers worse that began when he came from TJ surgery last year. Offering him the QO was probably a terrible mistake.
- The pitching is as bad as it looks on paper
- Manny Machado gets hurt

Projection: 4th

New York Yankees

The Yankees are the strangest bunch in this division. I'm picking them for 5th but they were a playoff team last year and I'd be less surprised if the won the division or went back to the playoffs then I would if the two teams before them in my list, Tampa Bay and Baltimore, got there. So why 5th? Well their top three players in OPS in 2015 in Alex Rodriguez, Carlos Beltran and Mark Texiera have an average age of 38. Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury and Chase Headley are all going into their 32 year old seasons. Old man time is a bitch, although if he holds off a year these players are dangerous. I do like the Starlin Castro acquisition though as I think he and Didi Gregorious are going to hold down the middle of that IF well. The pitching staff is potentially more than adequate but Masahiro Tanaka's arm could fall off, Michael Pineda and Nathan Eovaldi are unlikely to pitch 180 innings and Luis Severino, while potentially great, is 22 years old and has never pitched more than 120 inning in a season. I'm not really going to even mention C.C. Sabathia. If those two things end up not being issues they can rest assured in one of the best bullpens in baseball with Aroldys Chapman (after his suspension), Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances holding down the back end. Get to those guys and they'll win some games. Even if they do win, and I think father time has the edge here, the playoffs could be a tough road.

Key Acquisitions: Starlin Castro, Arodys Chapman

Keys to Winning: Really the first thing is some health in the rotation. Tanaka, Pineda and Severino could be dominant but you can't pencil that in. Next is that the older players perform like they did in 2015.

Impact Rookies: Aaron Judge (possibly)

What Could Go Wrong:

- Tanaka, already innings limited, is lost to injury
- The older players decline
- Guys like Castro and Gregorious fail to meet expectations

Projection: 5th

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Cubs will...
- trade for TOR pitcher by the Trade deadline
- win 90+ games

TYINY

Liked Posts:
By June, Lackey won't be the number three starter we need, be it by injuries or age catching up with him. Theo will acquire some other arm in a package that includes Soler.

Also predict that Lester will have more hits than runners picked off -- 1 to Zero.