Close
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 23 to 44 of 295
  1. #23
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAPABEAR77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With his experience I think the team is going to be better, I think this is a good fit really and I don't think Lovie was a failure. He really didn't get a shot in Tampa and only the second coach in bears history to go to the superbowl so I don't think it's a Dave Wannstedt reincarnation.
    No. It's probably more like a Pete Carroll or Jim Mora Jr deal. Look at it this way. Lovie was more successful at the Professional level than either Bobby Petrino or Nick Saban.

  2. A message from our sponsors.


    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.


  3. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lovie's initial staff was not hired for him.
    Ron Rivera and Dave Toub were not hired by Lovie. They were ID'd beforehand by the organization and he was allowed a courtesy interview with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn't a huge fan of Lovie as the Bears HC, but much of that was due to the McCaskey running the show as well as Angelo.
    No one with the name McCaskey has had a hand in Bears football operations since Virginia fired Mike McCaskey in 1999.


    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a solid hire. Lovie's defensive philosophy will be very good at the college level.
    Will it? The success of the Tampa 2 depends largely on having superior talent, because there is so little blitzing, confusion, or misdirection. Lovie is going to have to knock recruiting out of the park in order to succeed. Can he do that with Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, and Missouri poaching all his talent? I have my doubts.

  4. #25
    Senior Member dweebs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,436
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urblock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an Illini fan this sucks. Another 3 or 4 years of Lovie. Maybe he'll hire Rex to be the QB coach.
    As an Illini fan, we can't be too choosy. I never expected us to get a Lovie Smith type coach. Do I want Lovie coaching my NFL team, NO..But to coach my Illini, HELL YEA. Tired of losing recruits to the likes of Toledo and Nebraska. Now we can lose them to the likes of Ohio State and Alabama

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to dweebs19 For This Useful Post:


  6. #26
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron Rivera and Dave Toub were not hired by Lovie. They were ID'd beforehand by the organization and he was allowed a courtesy interview with them.
    Neither one of those guys have a last name of Shea, who ran the offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one with the name McCaskey has had a hand in Bears football operations since Virginia fired Mike McCaskey in 1999.
    So George McCaskey had nothing to do with pulling the plug on the Emery/Trestman experiment. Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will it? The success of the Tampa 2 depends largely on having superior talent, because there is so little blitzing, confusion, or misdirection.
    You're assuming Lovie will be running the Tampa 2 as his base defense. You're also assuming that college offenses/coaches are as patient and as adept as pro offenses at not making mistakes and beating the Cover 2. Both Rivera and Marinelli blitzed as needed when coaching for Lovie.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lovie is going to have to knock recruiting out of the park in order to succeed. Can he do that with Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, and Missouri poaching all his talent? I have my doubts.
    Illinois has never had a dominant amount of Illinois talent. Never. Even when at their highest level of success in the past 50 years during the Mike White era, that team was built with JC recruits from California and White's recruiting grounds. Zooker got recruits from Florida and there are recruiters on staff who recruit Texas, as well. Zookers first OC (Locksley) got talent out of the DC area. Missouri is headed downhill very quickly. No poaching will be done by them. If you have a chance to play for Dantonio for a staff loaded with NFL coaches, who are you going to play for? Wisconsin has never taken a ton of Illinois talent. When they were there best, they took a 5th year senior and poached him from North Carolina State. As for Wisconsin's philosophy, Barry Alvarez never did fancy. Good line play, 4-3 and solid run game. Lovie may not be the most exciting, but the Wisconsin model is a good one to follow. You're free to have your doubts, but your comments don't indicate a lot of familiarity with UIUC. He is going to be competing for 4-5 stars, not the leftover MAC talent in Ohio, IMHO.

    Also, IL competes in the B1G West. They don't see Michigan and Ohio State every season. They are competing with Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota. Ferentz at IA will not be there much longer. NW is OK, but beatable. Wisonsin? We don't know if Chryst can keep that ship going. Minnesota is headed for a dumpster fire. Riley at Nebraska hasn't been a huge hit. All Smith has to do is keep Illinois over water and go bowling at 7-5, 8-4 with the occasional 10 win season. I think he can do that. National recognition and positive recognition for Illinois.
    Last edited by Parade_Rain; 03-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Parade_Rain For This Useful Post:


  8. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    6,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither one of those guys have a last name of Shea, who ran the offense.
    You think you're making some kind of point here, but I have no idea what it is. That Lovie is "good at putting together staffs" because he fired the first OC he himself fucking hired? After one year? And by all means, let's ignore the other ten years of Smith's HC resume that were also marked by underwhelming staffs. Because that's not a track record or anything...

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So George McCaskey had nothing to do with pulling the plug on the Emery/Trestman experiment. Good to know.
    Do you understand the difference between an organizational decision and a "football" decision? If not, I'll be happy to explain it.

  9. #28
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think you're making some kind of point here, but I have no idea what it is.
    Your claimed the entire staff was picked for him, It wasn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That Lovie is "good at putting together staffs" because he fired the first OC he himself fucking hired? After one year? And by all means, let's ignore the other ten years of Smith's HC resume that were also marked by underwhelming staffs.
    Solid strawman on your part.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because that's not a track record or anything...
    Marinelli was a good DC. Did you see why he (Smith) got fired at TB? Almost universally, the decision was criticized. He had the O coordinator thing figured out.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Do you understand the difference between an organizational decision and a "football" decision? If not, I'll be happy to explain it.
    You've also created a nice big fat deflection here, IMHO
    Last edited by Parade_Rain; 03-07-2016 at 03:15 AM.

  10. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    986

    Default Lovie Smith Hired As New Illinois Fighting Illini Head Coach

    Breaking news ...

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...307-story.html

    A Twitter photo can say it all.



    It was clear Illinois has selected former Bears coach Lovie Smith as its next football coach after athletic director Josh Whitman posted two photos on Monday morning with Smith at Memorial Stadium.

    Illinois is expected to introduce Smith today.

    Whitman fired former coach Bill Cubit on Saturday on Whitman's first day on the job.

    ................

    Smith agreed to a six-year deal with payments of $2 million annually for 2016 and 2017, $3 million for 2018, $4 million for 2019 and $5 million annually for both 2020 and 2021. He will have opportunities for earn more through incentive bonuses.

    His appointment will be presented to the board of trustees for approval on March 16.

  11. #30
    Vagabond Wannabe iueyedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,796
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    ........
    Last edited by iueyedoc; 03-07-2016 at 10:04 AM.

  12. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,255
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    This was breaking news 2 days and 4 threads ago

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novak For This Useful Post:


  14. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was breaking news 2 days and 4 threads ago
    Really?!?! ... Lol

    Man, I haven't been around. My apologies to the board. Mods, can you please nuke this thread ...

  15. #33
    Iím in a glass case of emotion! Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    738

    Lightbulb Illinois hires Lovie Smith as next football coach

    A Twitter photo can say it all.
    Illinois has selected former Bears coach Lovie Smith as its next football coach after athletic director Josh Whitman posted two photos on Monday morning with Smith at Memorial Stadium.
    Smith agreed to a six-year deal with payments of $2 million annually for 2016...











    More...

  16. #34
    Iím in a glass case of emotion! Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    738

    Lightbulb Illinois views Lovie Smith's mediocrity and condescension as a step up

    I think itís so cute the way some people are so excited about Lovie Smith coaching Illinois.
    I think itís so cute that they believe it will make a difference, nearly as cute as the Twitter pictures of Smith standing next to Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman and holding a sign reading "#WEWILLWIN''...











    More...

  17. #35
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    The threads were speculation before, Gale. Now they even have a picture of Whitman and Smith signing the contracts and the introductory presser will be at 2p.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Parade_Rain For This Useful Post:


  19. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,369
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Lovie

    WDWS.com is the local sports radio talk station. Press con at 2. Lovie is already here.
    Last edited by Urblock; 03-07-2016 at 11:39 AM.

  20. #37
    Iím in a glass case of emotion! Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    738

    Chicago Bears Lovie Smith named Illinois head coach

    Former Bears coach Lovie Smith has been named head coach at the University of Illinois. He will be introduced later today at a press conference in Champaign.

    More...

  21. #38
    You Can Call Me Al
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    19,520
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I can't wait for Boers and Bernstein today.

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gustavus Adolphus For This Useful Post:


  23. #39
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I bought season tickets this morning.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parade_Rain For This Useful Post:


  25. #40
    1-888-NEED-HIM brett05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Plainfield, IL
    Posts
    23,484
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought season tickets this morning.
    I thought you lived in FLA?
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

  26. #41
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you lived in FLA?
    Why would you think I lived in FL?

  27. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,369
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought season tickets this morning.
    The Illini ticket site is down.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Urblock For This Useful Post:


  29. #43
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,390
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    B&B is very positive about this hire and I think they are actually grasping why it is a good hire.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Parade_Rain For This Useful Post:


  31. #44
    You Can Call Me Al
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    19,520
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GalePayton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really?!?! ... Lol

    Man, I haven't been around. My apologies to the board. Mods, can you please nuke this thread ...
    I don't understand why you wouldn't have thought this wasn't already posted. Only a moron would have to post this again.

  32. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.



    Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •