CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So UI just picked up a JUco QB who had offers from at least half, if not more, of SEC teams. Let's see how this staff does the next two months, but they certainly are not settling for MAC talent to fill roster spots.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So UI just picked up a JUco QB who had offers from at least half, if not more, of SEC teams. Let's see how this staff does the next two months, but they certainly are not settling for MAC talent to fill roster spots.

Lawson was a troubled kid and dumb as a box of rocks but he's pretty damn talented. His offer list from CC wasn't nearly what it was coming out of HS but a lot of raw material to work with there. Just needs to stay out of trouble.

Might only be a one year stop gap until Cam Thomas is ready anyways.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Welp. Lovie's crew just turned an Arizona LB commit from the same Garden City CC as the QB. The NJCAA Champion CC. He can't recruit.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welp. Lovie's crew just turned an Arizona LB commit from the same Garden City CC as the QB. The NJCAA Champion CC. He can't recruit.

Who ever said he couldn't recruit? The question was if he will want to play the game. He's gotten two malcontents. Great job.

He also lost Devin Butler to Syracuse today.

So far Lovie appears to be a better recruiter than Beckman.

Hooray. If you're going to judge Smith based on Beckman your standards are too low.

Plus you can only build so long on CC JuCo kids. Where Lovie needs to prove it recruiting wise is with HS kids. Pardon me if I don't go crazy when he gets two kids from the same JuCo.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who ever said he couldn't recruit? The question was if he will want to play the game. He's gotten two malcontents. Great job.

He also lost Devin Butler to Syracuse today.

So far Lovie appears to be a better recruiter than Beckman.

Hooray. If you're going to judge Smith based on Beckman your standards are too low.
Silly.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I repeat:
Who said Smith couldn't recruit?

Andy Staples had a nice write up on the Smith hire.

He likes the idea to move on from Cubit but it's pretty bleak when it starts getting into recruiting in terms of if Smith has the heart for recruiting and will play the game. Staples terms Smith best pitch as a recruiter as being able to say he took the Bears to a Super Bowl a decade ago......ick.
Whoops!

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

What the hell are you talking about? I was quoting an Article by Andy Staples.

And Smith getting some JuCo's doesn't prove he "can" recruit.

You wer ein here talking about him being able to go into Florida, Texas, and St Louis and competing for those kids.

How is that going?

I refer you to a post of my actual words:

Post#88

I love this idea that you're already assuming Smith can recruit at the college level with zero actual basis for it. Could he end up being a good recruiter? Sure. But as of this moment he has zero track record doing it. None. So you dismissing a guy like Fleck based on some fear of his ability to recruit in the B1G is hilariously ironic

So "whoops" nothing.

Go ahead and put me on ignore and I'll continue to tear apart your shitty posts one by one.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What the hell are you talking about? I was quoting an Article by Andy Staples.

And Smith getting some JuCo's doesn't prove he "can" recruit.

You wer ein here talking about him being able to go into Florida, Texas, and St Louis and competing for those kids.

How is that going?

I refer you to a post of my actual words:

Post#88

So "whoops" nothing.

Go ahead and put me on ignore and I'll continue to tear apart your shitty posts one by one.
1) If Fleck is so good, why is he waiting up in Kalamazoo still?
2) Right now they have the best star rating they've had in years, and they arrived late to the scene. They've recruited a lot more than just a couple of Jucos.
3) You were all over that Debbie Downer article. Fact!

See ya.

Eat shit.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) If Fleck is so good, why is he waiting up in Kalamazoo still?
I don't know. Why did Chris Petersen wait in Boise so long?

2) Right now they have the best star rating they've had in years
I repeat:
If you're going to judge Smith based on Beckman your standards are too low.

They've recruited a lot more than just a couple of Jucos.
Where are the kids from Texas, St Louis, and Florida you were all over?

3) You were all over that Debbie Downer article. Fact!
No, that's not a fact. In fact the article LIKED the Smith hire.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So at the end of his 5 years, the program will certainly be in a better position than when he took it over.

You'd think so...but you can't assume that. Look at ND. If Kelly gets fired after next year he's definitely a better recruiter and coach than Weis but will the program be in better shape?

It's been ONE season with Lovie. Results were mixed, recruiting is ok. Then you have to assume attrition of staff. McGee will get a Group of 5 head coaching job in the next 2-3 years. Nickerson could as well. If Lovie is around for five years his last 2-3 will be more indicative of his ability than his first few.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Just got OL Watkins out of Cincy. Star rating of class currently is equal to Zook's 2007 class at 3.14 stars.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie has some recruiting momentum...let's hope he does something with the kids he gets. Zook had some talent but didn't do anything with some of those teams.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Just signed a 4 star out of Peoria. Beat the Squawks for this kid, too. I guess Lovie can't recruit.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And 4 star DE from Miami, Owen Carney, gives IL a Christmas commitment. Lovie and his staff are laying a solid foundation for getting a late start.