2016 NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Going to the Final Four to watch my Heels play. Hopefully they pull this shit out and make it a productive weekend.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to the Final Four to watch my Heels play. Hopefully they pull this shit out and make it a productive weekend.

You would be a Tar Heels fan. I predicted them to win it in my brackets. Hardest thing I have ever done. Duke fan

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I've never seen less buzz around the tourney....

Then again, I do live in my own little bubble and don't use a ton of SM outside Twitter, so who really knows. CBB was my favorite sport until the one and dones ruined it for me....

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
IGT: 1UNC vs 2NOVA NCAA Mens National Basketball Championship 8:20PM

Villanova vs North Carolina Game thread
Game is on TBS

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Congrats to Nova, the refs, and the Philly bookie that apparently the refs owed a large sum of money to for taking home the national championship.

At any rate ridiculous final few seconds at the end and congrats to Paige and Jenkins for making the shots when theit team needed them to.

Mitchapalooza

My buddy took Nova and the over. The over was 150.5, lol wow.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Congrats to Nova, the refs, and the Philly bookie that apparently the refs owed a large sum of money to for taking home the national championship.

At any rate ridiculous final few seconds at the end and congrats to Paige and Jenkins for making the shots when theit team needed them to.

You're an idiot :smug: at least you didn't write a 10 million page essay trying to convince the world of your sour grapes of NC losing to Nova. Get over it your team fucking lost, that's life.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
College basketball sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol it was a fucking joke which is why I ended it by congratulating Jenkins for a great shot. The refs sucked ass but the dude made the shot at the end. It is what it is. Lighten up Francis.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The officiating in the first half was horrendous as I felt Nova was getting away with the same sort of swiping you think UNC was getting called for. There was a point in the first half where UNC got called for 8 straight fouls. I also thought there were 3 or 4 times the Nova dude picked up his dribble with nowhere to go and changed his pivot foot as he was trying to find a pass but the travel was not called. I think they called the travel once on them the whole game.

2nd half the bad officiating went both ways more although there was that one Hicks block really late where the Nova dude dribbled in the middle with no where to go and went up and came down with the ball and they called a foul. There was also that series where literally Meeks tied up a Nova player got whistled for a foul then Heels go down and Nova ties up Meeks in pretty much the exact same manner and it's called a jump ball with possession to Nova. Finally even on the Paige circus shot there was so much contact prior to the shot that Ochefu falls down from bumping Paige and he stumbles out of the contact for the double clutch 3.

In the end though the game was tied and you have 4.7 seconds to defend so Nova deserves the win for making the shot irrespective of how the game was called prior. Doesnt matter how bad I think the officiating was, the dude made the shot when it counted and Nova took us out of our game for most of the game.

I also think the the final seconds was a microcosm of the difference between Williams and Wright as the knock on Williams has always been his in game coaching. You see on one end Paige has to make a ridiculous shot because the Williams play call doesn't appear to help him. Then on the last shot Wright draws up a perfect play aided by the fact Williams decides to have Johnson play the long pass and not guard the inbound player who ends up being the guy that trails the ball handler unguarded and then takes the game winning shot. Williams is guarding the long shot when 4.7 seconds is an eternity and it is unlikely that had Johnson been in Jenkins face that Jenkins would even be able to complete a long pass. He basically puts Johnson in a bad position there as he is in No Man's land at the free throw line as Nova's best shooter saunters up court unguarded.

And I was at the game and the final four this weekend and Nova fans where some of the classiest and respectful fans I've ever encountered so this stings but Nova is probably one of the few teams I don't mind losing to. As long as it wasnt Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, or Syracuse (their fans were annoying as fuck on Saturday).

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Refs weren't great. But that didn't lose UNC the game.

The only call I really hated was this one late in the game: https://twitter.com/IWCorriher/status/717210904924971008

Whether he traveled or not, he was bailed out by a foul on Hicks. I mean idk what Hicks is supposed to do there, he goes straight up and doesn't leave the ground.

Regardless, it was a great game. UNC's poor shooting for the majority of the second half was what costed them. They shot 50+ percent in the first, and shot like 20 percent until the final few minutes. The play that people are forgetting is Justin Jackson's missed layup at the end of the first half, and then Hart hitting a jumper. 4 pt swing.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
4th year in a row that I had a perfect bracket. It's getting old and boring.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rory

As I said at the end of the day the dude made the shot so Nova deserved to win. Unless it is a play on the last possession or two it's pointless to argue about whether the refs changed the outcome of a game because there are too many variables.

The officiating again was awful from my perspective but UNC needed to stop them with 4.7 seconds left so once again it doesn't matter how I feel about the officiating, Nova did what they had to do to win and UNC didnt. You want to focus on my comment about the officiating and ignore the fact I said Nova deserved the win.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Refs weren't great. But that didn't lose UNC the game.

The only call I really hated was this one late in the game: https://twitter.com/IWCorriher/status/717210904924971008

Whether he traveled or not, he was bailed out by a foul on Hicks. I mean idk what Hicks is supposed to do there, he goes straight up and doesn't leave the ground.

Regardless, it was a great game. UNC's poor shooting for the majority of the second half was what costed them. They shot 50+ percent in the first, and shot like 20 percent until the final few minutes. The play that people are forgetting is Justin Jackson's missed layup at the end of the first half, and then Hart hitting a jumper. 4 pt swing.

Yeah that call was terrible and the one I was referring to with Hicks. It just seemed like anytime Nova got caught in with their dribble picked up they got bailed out with questionable foul calls like that and the refs ignored the traveling rules.

And yep Jackson admitted that he should have gone up strong on that layup instead of going to the backside as everyone I was sitting with was complaining about the fact he tried to get cute. He also missed 2 free throws late that didn't help.

And yes in the end UNC had their chances and again too many variables to try and blame the refs. Nova played a great game and the dude made the shot when he had to.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In the end Nova made the plays they had to and UNC came up short. So you continuing to focus on something I already told you I have no interest in is silly. I can comment on the officiating without taking a position one way or another as to its impact because there was no glaring missed or bad call at the very end that clearly impacted the game. There were a series of bad and missed calls IMO throughout that if called the other way would have changed how the teams played and I am not psychic to predict how that would change the outcome and it's a moot point because as I said Nova deserved the win because Nova made the plays they had to given how the game actually played out.

Your question is like asking me if the game went to overtime would UNC have won. Who the fuck knows and who the fuck cares? What happened happened. There is probably some alternate universe out there where the calls went as I thought they should and if I ever visit that universe and pick up a box score of the game, you will be the first person I tell about what the outcome was in that universe.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Y'all need to watch more college basketball if you thought the refs were bad last night. That was one of their better games all season. College basketball refs are extremely inconsistent. They will call touch fouls, but let go someone barreling over someone. Its weird. They need to go to 4 10 minute quarters and stop this non sense of teams getting to the free throw line with 10 minutes left in the game.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't recall Ochefu touching/bumping/pushing/whatever Paige before that double clutch three.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Silence

I don't think it is a matter of watching more games. I have UNC season tickets and live in KC so go to Lawrence for a few of those games as well so I watch a lot of games. Officiating is always going to be highly subjective particularly if like me you have a rooting interest but the biggest issue with this game was the constant bailing out of Nova when they picked up their dribble and got stuck particularly the Hicks foul. Obviously UNC fans are biased but the stadium screamed travel like 4 or 5 times in those instances where the ref just ignored the changing or dragging of the pivot foot only to call UNC for a cheap foul.

It was to the point where Nova just kept letting the clock get to like 10-15 seconds and they would drive to the middle, get stuck, and wait for the foul call. If UNC just sat there and did nothing for fear of the cheap foul they would then just elevate and hit an uncontested short jumper in the paint. So the fact that the refs weren't call the travel and any attempt to pressure the dude as he was stuck in the middle with nowhere to go was met with a foul made it a lot easier for Nova when typically you get stuck in the middle like that and the offense is the one in trouble but in this case the D basically had to play on their heels (pun intended) because of the way the game was called.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thanks, but I don't need you to keep telling me that "Nova made the plays"...I watched the game! I saw the final score! I seemingly missed Paige's 3 pointer though...the one you described as "there was so much contact prior to the shot that Ochefu falls down from bumping Paige"...I did see a miraculous shot by Paige where Ochefu dove to steal a lazy UNC pass and Paige ended up with the ball and heaving in a 3-pointer that tied the game. When did your play occur?

Your mentioning of refs and Philly bookies seemed pretty damning. I was just wondering what your comments were based on.

And, for the third time, what about the 4 fouls called on Kris Jenkins that kept him on the bench? Did that have ANY effect on the outcome of the game? Especially the terrible charge call which gave Jenkins his 4th foul early in the 2nd half?

No, its not. I am asking you to explain your repeated comments about the officiating. I can't help it if you are unable to make sense. Your "recreation" of Paige's final 3 is absurd. The late call on Hicks was bad (and I said those calls were bad in my first post)...what other calls were so terrible that you thought the refs bet on the game?

No my comment about the Philly bookies was a joke which I already stated to Spunky before your first response. I obviously don't think bookies have anything to do with the outcome.