2016 NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already explained the calls I took issue with as it relates to Nova driving to the middle and moving or dragging their pivot foot with no travel call then compounded by a cheap foul on UNC.

There is no contradiction. None of the bad calls occurred close enough to the end of the game for me to say it clearly changed the outcome and regardless the score was tied with 4.7 seconds rendering any speculation about what could have happened moot. UNC had the chance to make a play and didn't.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already said the missed travel call happened like 4 or 5 times and was followed up with a cheap foul call. So that was 4 or 5 possessions where instead of the ball going the other way, Nova got a new shot clock or with the Hicks foul got to shoot two.

As for uncontested jumpers, by the second half, the Nova player would get to the middle, stop, and the UNC defender would get their hands up but then the Nova player would just elevate and the UNC player would stay there afraid to jump and contest the shot.

And yes Nova shot well all night. No one disputes that. As for Jenkins, I don't recall all his fouls so I don't know which one you think was not valid. The only ones I distinctly remember was the one where he bumped Paige out of bounds on the baseline. The other one I remember being called was the moving screen but the stadium doesn't show replays all that often and I wasn't watching him when the call was made so don't know how fair or unfair that one was.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Once again Rory, I have no idea of whether anything discussed here had an impact on the outcome of the game as I have no idea how things would playout.

Case in point, Jenkins got 2 fouls and sat a lot of the first half. So your 19 of 40 minutes is misleading because a portion of that time was missed in the first half and you haven't made an argument that his 2 fouls in the first half were bogus. So when did he get fouled the 4th time and how much time did he miss due to the 4th foul?

2nd, you already said his replacement Booth played well to the point Booth made the All Tourney Team and Jenkins did not. So even if we accept the fact that Jenkins 4th foul was bogus I have no way of knowing whether Jenkins would have played better or worse than Booth in the minutes that Jenkins would have received over Booth. All I know is Booth played well enough to make the All Tourney Team.

Third, I don't remember the 4th foul so I can't comment on whether it was bogus or not. You telling me it was the 4th foul means jack shit. If you can find a link that shows the 4th foul then I can actually comment on it but otherwise all I have is you telling me it was bogus.

So your argument is a strawman. I make no claim that any of the calls changed the outcome of the game. I don't know how the game would have played out had Nova been called for traveling or not been bailed out a few times IMO and I don't know if Jenkins would have played better or worse than booth. I simply stated that I thought the officiating was bad but at the end of the day Nova deserved to win and yet you come up with this dumb talk about stripping titles.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Basically, the only item left to discuss is this:

I saw the replay today and agree no contact was made. Ochefu dives at him and Paige sidesteps to avoid him before taking the shot. From my angle the sidestep looked like it was the result of contact as I was sitting in the corner that Paige took the shot from and there was no replay of the full play in the stadium.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My seats were to the left of the ref positioned at the top/far sideline about 30 rows back. So Paige's body obstructs my view of Ochefu. From that angle, it looked like Ochefu ran towards Paige and bumped him then fell past him (not towards center court) especially since Ochefu saw the ball late so didn't lunge for the ball until it was pretty much past him. Paige also hesitates a bit which at the time attributed to there being contact.

And I said he dived at him because again by the time Ochefu sees the ball and lunges for it, it's almost already in Paige's hands. Obviously the replay which is from the angle opposite from me shows clearly no contact was actually made.

[video=youtube;bR8Io8Dz6nM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8Io8Dz6nM[/video]

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Perhaps I should have but it wasn't that big of a point so I didnt. Shit happens.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
There is nowhere else to put this so I will rant here.

It is fucking stupid that they put the deciding game of the CWS at 1 pm on a thursday. If you have a rain out for a prime time game for a championship, why not have it on primetime the next night???

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
There is nowhere else to put this so I will rant here.

It is fucking stupid that they put the deciding game of the CWS at 1 pm on a thursday. If you have a rain out for a prime time game for a championship, why not have it on primetime the next night???

Maybe the field was unavailable?