Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We're kinda healthy!

czman

Liked Posts:
If the Bulls are going to make a mini-run before the playoffs it needs to be here.

Kings/Knicks/Knicks/Magic. A 6 game winning streak is what this team needs.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bulls by 1 on a last second half court game winning heave by Portis

Boogie punches MDJ and choke slams a ref

Fred Hoiberg comes startlingly close to resembling emotion

Garpax hug after the game

czman

Liked Posts:
ending up with a ~1% change to get a top pick is not going to be as helpful as seeing what Fred can do in the playoffs. The worst thing they can do is keep Hoiberg and start to build a team in his image if he is the wrong guy. They need to find out sooner rather than later. It is too late in the game to start losing. They should have dumped at the the trade deadline. They didn't so it makes no sense to with losses on them now.

I also don't think the Bulls will be getting that Kings pick this year. Losing to the Kings might help, but they need to beat the Magic.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I've said before it would be a terrible move to assemble a roster that suits Fred's "Hoiball." I don't think he finishes out his contract here. I'm not sure what people expect as far as "Seeing what Fred can do in the playoffs." I'm guessing the Bulls would show the same defensive indifference and run a loose and disjointed offense that can't find a semblance of consistency. They'll get beat up on the boards and teams will score at will against us. That wouldn't all be Fred's fault but I've seen enough to come to the conclusion that Fred is at best an average coach in the league, probably fitting into the below average category more comfortably. The guy just does not have leadership qualities and is too monotonous and timid to be a high level NBA coach.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
ending up with a ~1% change to get a top pick is not going to be as helpful as seeing what Fred can do in the playoffs. The worst thing they can do is keep Hoiberg and start to build a team in his image if he is the wrong guy. They need to find out sooner rather than later. It is too late in the game to start losing. They should have dumped at the the trade deadline. They didn't so it makes no sense to with losses on them now.

I also don't think the Bulls will be getting that Kings pick this year. Losing to the Kings might help, but they need to beat the Magic.
Is seeing what Fred does in the playoffs with this roster even a true representation of how he'd do with personnel that fits?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wtf does "seeing what Fred does in the playoffs" even mean? He'd coach pretty much the same. What would change? Mega meatballish.

Now seeing what this roster can do in the playoffs is an entirely different story...

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wtf does "seeing what Fred does in the playoffs" even mean? He'd coach pretty much the same. What would change? Mega meatballish.

Now seeing what this roster can do in the playoffs is an entirely different story...
If it's anything like how he coached against UAB in the ncaa tournament last year we're definitely doomed.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If it's anything like how he coached against UAB in the ncaa tournament last year we're definitely doomed.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.
Time to make the team explode

czman

Liked Posts:

The playoffs are about adjusting game to game. The regular season is too condensed with too much travel for those types of adjustments. The NCAA tournament is not playing the same team over and over and over and over again.

Thibs was never very good at adjusting from game to game. The only way to know of Freddy boy can do it is to let him have a chance. The regular season is a very bad judge of being able to adjust from game to game.

Do I think it is likely he will show an ability to make adjustments from game to game...........probably not. I still think it has more value than a ~1% chance at getting a top pick.

Just for the record I am the one that called this debacle before the season started. I wanted this done differently months ago. When you are this far down the path it is too late to go back. Much better to learn what you can about what you have. There is still a lot of ways they can go moving forward.

People talking about losing now are just short sighted.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
The only thing seeing Fred and this team in the playoffs will bring, is confirmation that the Bulls didn't hire the right guy and that the roster needs a ton of work. He just doesn't have the demeanor to lead a team. He's not charismatic whatsoever, he's not energetic, and he quite clearly just doesn't get guys to buy in. You can't just magically change who you are. As far as adjusting in the playoffs, I'm sure he would try to do some things but our defense is too soft and our play makers too limited to really do anything. I would much rather have that 1% chance at a top pick. Even without the top pick, a top 10 selection is certainly more valuable than seeing the crap show the Bulls would put on in the playoffs.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
Does "seeing what Fred can do in the playoffs" actually mean "avoiding a sweep by the cavs?" Because if so, I don't care to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
[VINE]idlMgbd7wav[/VINE]

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
did we lose?

talkingdinosaurs

Liked Posts:
Because of the whole LeBron problem that eventually awaits, I don't know if Fred's game-to-game adjustments will even matter. The bigger issue is that this team just straight up doesn't have the talent to be a title contender. They have a couple guys (Rose, Butler, Gasol) that can keep them competitive, but their role players are going to get totally exposed in a playoff series against the top teams in the East. You can't beat the Cavs or the Raptors in a seven-game series having to play E-Twaun or Justin Holiday significant minutes, and McDermott and Mirotic are too inconsistent to count on at this point. I like how Doug's playing right now, but again: in a series, teams will make adjustments, and the adjustment to him is easy. Just stay in his pocket.

We have at least one more year of basketball purgatory before we can really expect Fred to find his footing. As constructed, this roster just isn't going to do what he wants it to do after a certain point. That's essentially what kept happening to the Bulls in the Rose-less years and even at the end last year with Thibs; they reached their limit, and then they got put away because they were either not good enough or not rested enough. After this season, Pau's probably going to be gone, Noah's definitely going to be gone, Rose has a good shot to be gone in a year or two, and whether you want to or not, this thing's going to have to start from scratch. There's no window this season.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
I would much rather have that 1% chance at a top pick. Even without the top pick, a top 10 selection is certainly more valuable than seeing the crap show the Bulls would put on in the playoffs.
This is exactly the rationale that many Bulls fans felt about a gimpy Rose returning for the playoffs from his ACL surgery and also him returning the following season afte tearing the meniscus in his other knee.

Our argument was that him returning didn't matter because we were gonna lose anyway, yet many Internet posters are still bitter about him not returning for a few meaningless games after the ACL surgery.

Do you now see how hypocritical the Rose hate is?