Firing Thibodeau was the biggest Bulls mistake in 20 years...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jerry Reinsdorf is slowly morphing into Bill Wirtz as he continues with his silly loyalty to people that are failing him and are piece by piece, tearing down his franchise.

He's done it for years, especially with the White Sox.

talkingdinosaurs

Liked Posts:
Amen to that...Kenny Williams has been stopping the White Sox from properly constructing a baseball organization (trading away draft picks for over-the-hill free agents, below average farm system) for years, and Reinsdorf continues to enable him.

With the Bulls, I think they needed a change from Thibs, but the culture shock has lingered. Not having that guy scream at you and hound you to get every drop of production he can out of you has probably led to some of these effort issues. Then again, I wasn't a fan of watching him playing Jimmy Butler for 48 minutes multiple times in regular season games...I think he ran people into the ground minutes-wise for absolutely no reason.

Also, while it's probably true that the Bulls don't have the right personnel for Hoiberg's system right now, why did he not adjust to what he was given from the beginning? That's what top coaches do. He shouldn't get fired after one season, but he's already kind of reminding me of Marc Trestman...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Amen to that...Kenny Williams has been stopping the White Sox from properly constructing a baseball organization (trading away draft picks for over-the-hill free agents, below average farm system) for years, and Reinsdorf continues to enable him.

With the Bulls, I think they needed a change from Thibs, but the culture shock has lingered. Not having that guy scream at you and hound you to get every drop of production he can out of you has probably led to some of these effort issues. Then again, I wasn't a fan of watching him playing Jimmy Butler for 48 minutes multiple times in regular season games...I think he ran people into the ground minutes-wise for absolutely no reason.

Also, while it's probably true that the Bulls don't have the right personnel for Hoiberg's system right now, why did he not adjust to what he was given from the beginning? That's what top coaches do. He shouldn't get fired after one season, but he's already kind of reminding me of Marc Trestman...

I will never forgive that horseshit way that Reinny fired Thibs. No class. He is a scum sucking piglet of a man, loyal to kiss ass people like Paxson and Williams and then when these guys fuck up, comes down on their side and tries to over-power whoever challenges them. As fans we talk all of the time about the bottom end of things like trades draft picks, etc. But it is in the top end of things that is all fucked up. Reinny's teams are managed by unqualified people and when any organization is based on that it cannot be successful.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
Cern4bDWQAAe8Gu.jpg

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Probably not the biggest mistake but I gotta tell you...Hoiberg is making me miss Thibs.

Daa Bearrs

Liked Posts:
I had alway supported the Bulls FO even when fans where slamming them year in and year out, but the moment Gar fired Thibs I was heart broken and knew that his fat fucking ego had just destroyed the team. Hoiberg isn't in Thibs league, as expected, because Thibs is an ELITE coach. Now, with frictions between Butler (and many other players) and Hoiberg, it looks like Gar will once again blunder and ship out his star player to keep his sorry ass coach, so that he can try and save his sorry ass job.

Nothing will make me happier than Gar Forman being canned the moment the season is over, and with it, the dumbfuck coach he hired. I hate that man (Forman) with a passion. He's both stupid and a massive asshole. Fuck him.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I know people complained about Thibs before, but I find it funny how he, reportedly, had more problems when Gasol came. I half wonder if he didn't just rub off onto everyone

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The problem wasn't firing Thibs. Although, the FO plain and simply did not give Thibs enough of "his guys." They let Asik walk, which because of the CBA, was an understandable move, but they never replaced Asik with another capable backup C. They chose Marquise Teague over Dramond Green who Thibs wanted. They fired his boy Ron Adams because Ronnie told it how it is. The FO continued to undermine Thibs and put him in less than ideal situations. However, it was also rumored that Thibs was wearing on the players and that only 1 member of the starting lineup vouched for him and wanted him back. Speculation of course, but where there is smoke, there is fire. It seemed the relationship was toxic and a change was needed.

The problem however, was that the FO had a guy picked out while Thibs was still the coach. They fired Thibs, addressed the fans, and said they would interview other coaches and that no decision had been made. Well, they didn't interview a single goddamned other coach, and handed the keys to Freddy Hoiberg when the team was only set up to win defensively. Not only that, but the guy coming in needed to be a natural leader, albeit, not as maniacal as Thibs. Fred is about as dry and stiff as an NBA HC can possibly get. He's an offensive coach and the FO are looking like fools thinking they had a talented enough offensive roster for it to be the strength of the team. They relied on Noah, who is falling apart, with no other lengthy defensive front court player, to keep the defense respectable.

All in all, firing Thibs I think was still the right move, but a large portion of the blame falls on the FO for undermining him on a regular basis. The other portion of the blame goes on Thibs for being too full throttle all the time, and too stubborn in his ways. All that being said, Garpax absolutely need to go after this mess. I think they've failed to create an enjoyable atmosphere around the team and its shown in the teams play and overall demeanor. Unfortunately, JR will not see it this way and will probably give Gar and/or Pax at least another 2 seasons to turn it around. Just like the FO has been waiting far too long to shakeup what obviously needs to be shaken up, JR will wait too long on making the obvious move of replacing Gar and/or Pax. I think both need to go.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Nothing will ever surpass Tim Floyd. maybe some of you weren't fans at the time so you don't know.

Fred might not be the 'right' guy but Phil Jackson wasn't exactly highly sought after when they hired him. What makes me want to give Fred a chance is the Bulls do not draft or sign problem players. They don't get guys who destroy the locker room and get coaches fired. they learned with Ben Wallace, Larry Hughes, and several other clubhouse lawyers who have never been happy anywhere.

Try to remember they hired big name coaches in the past, Larry Costello, Kevin Loughery, Stan Albeck, Doug Collins, none were the answer.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The problem wasn't firing Thibs. Although, the FO plain and simply did not give Thibs enough of "his guys." They let Asik walk, which because of the CBA, was an understandable move, but they never replaced Asik with another capable backup C. They chose Marquise Teague over Dramond Green who Thibs wanted. They fired his boy Ron Adams because Ronnie told it how it is. The FO continued to undermine Thibs and put him in less than ideal situations. However, it was also rumored that Thibs was wearing on the players and that only 1 member of the starting lineup vouched for him and wanted him back. Speculation of course, but where there is smoke, there is fire. It seemed the relationship was toxic and a change was needed.

The problem however, was that the FO had a guy picked out while Thibs was still the coach. They fired Thibs, addressed the fans, and said they would interview other coaches and that no decision had been made. Well, they didn't interview a single goddamned other coach, and handed the keys to Freddy Hoiberg when the team was only set up to win defensively. Not only that, but the guy coming in needed to be a natural leader, albeit, not as maniacal as Thibs. Fred is about as dry and stiff as an NBA HC can possibly get. He's an offensive coach and the FO are looking like fools thinking they had a talented enough offensive roster for it to be the strength of the team. They relied on Noah, who is falling apart, with no other lengthy defensive front court player, to keep the defense respectable.

All in all, firing Thibs I think was still the right move, but a large portion of the blame falls on the FO for undermining him on a regular basis. The other portion of the blame goes on Thibs for being too full throttle all the time, and too stubborn in his ways. All that being said, Garpax absolutely need to go after this mess. I think they've failed to create an enjoyable atmosphere around the team and its shown in the teams play and overall demeanor. Unfortunately, JR will not see it this way and will probably give Gar and/or Pax at least another 2 seasons to turn it around. Just like the FO has been waiting far too long to shakeup what obviously needs to be shaken up, JR will wait too long on making the obvious move of replacing Gar and/or Pax. I think both need to go.

Good post. I disagree with the assessment of Thibs but the rest of it was right on. People are kind of funny in that when you win, it covers up the warts of people because winning pretty much covers up the warts. Sure Thibs grated on people but until they started to lose more games than normal then the warts appeared and people started nagging.

You are absolutely correct in your statement that the front office didn't give Thibs the players that he wanted and then undermined him. They went from a great powerful bench to virtually nothing. They went from warriors to wusses. And I also believe that Rose became the ringleader in the team negativity in his refusal to play when dinged up a bit and Gar/Pax went along with their "superstar's" mantra.