2016's Around Major League Baseball

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Are you talking the Bautista slide with the Jays?

No, they said it happened yesterday the day after that slide. I hadn't heard anything and my co-worker can;t remember the details. He said it's the third time it's come into play so far.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, they said it happened yesterday the day after that slide. I hadn't heard anything and my co-worker can;t remember the details. He said it's the third time it's come into play so far.

I don't know. The Bautista slide had nothing to do with the new rules. His slide was an old rule. He grabbed the guys ankle which is illegal in the old rules.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I heard this morning that there is some discussion of having an emergency meeting of the rules committee sometime next week to discuss the rule and if changes may be required. I don't think this meeting is a done deal by any stretch but it's interesting that they're talking about it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Lol I think in the end they win this trade by a good margin, but if the Cubs win. I cant complain. He was never Theo and Jed's guy and he was the last of the Jim Hendry era. It seems Theo wanted to wipe that away.

The Cubs are still hanging on to Baez when they could've easily dealt him in the offseason, so I don't think that this irrational distaste for "Hendry's guys" you're alleging was part of the decision. I think they just wanted a more patient, contact-oriented bat in the lineup as a counterbalance against the swing and miss guys.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't know. The Bautista slide had nothing to do with the new rules. His slide was an old rule. He grabbed the guys ankle which is illegal in the old rules.

I agree. Of course it didn't initially get reported like that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are still hanging on to Baez when they could've easily dealt him in the offseason, so I don't think that this irrational distaste for "Hendry's guys" you're alleging was part of the decision. I think they just wanted a more patient, contact-oriented bat in the lineup as a counterbalance against the swing and miss guys.

And he has been involved in a ton of trade rumors. It's not an irrational distaste. It's these players aren't molded in Theo's belief on how to build a team. It wasn't like they got their socks knocked off for Castro with a swingman

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
And he has been involved in a ton of trade rumors. It's not an irrational distaste. It's these players aren't molded in Theo's belief on how to build a team. It wasn't like they got their socks knocked off for Castro with a swingman

Castro has been a below-average to replacement-level player for 3 of his 6 seasons (1.8, .1, .8). His career high WAR is 3.1. I think it's safe to say Theo's "belief on how to build a team" involves finding a better 2B than that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro has been a below-average to replacement-level player for 3 of his 6 seasons (1.8, .1, .8). His career high WAR is 3.1. I think it's safe to say Theo's "belief on how to build a team" involves finding a better 2B than that.

An average WAR player is around a 2. Castro has been average or above 4 out of 6 years. He is a 3 time all star and he is just getting to his prime. They aren't going to be "many" better second baseman than him. For instance, Ben Zobrist WAR was 2.1 last year. By your assertion, the Cubs should be looking for a better second baseman.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I heard this morning that there is some discussion of having an emergency meeting of the rules committee sometime next week to discuss the rule and if changes may be required. I don't think this meeting is a done deal by any stretch but it's interesting that they're talking about it.
They need to slide to the bag. Period. End of story. No collisions at home plate (Utley's play was dirty, IMHO), and no collisions elsewhere. Players make too much money for this nonsense. Slide to the back, not through it, etc. Respect each other's careers.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is partially false. He certainly had no intention of staying on the bag with his slide. Thus, his intentions were clear and in violation of the new rules.
MLB said:
Under the new Rule 6.01(j), a runner will have to make a "bona fide slide," which is defined as making contact with the ground before reaching the base, being able to and attempting to reach the base with a hand or foot, being able to and attempting to remain on the base at the completion of the slide (except at home plate) and not changing his path for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/165429062/pace-of-game-changes-new-slide-rule-adopted

You can see in the second angle of this video, he slides clear through the bag and doesn't remain on it.

[video=youtube;4O9Ea1mVKrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9Ea1mVKrA[/video]

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is partially false. He didn't slide exactly to the bag and he certainly had no intention of staying on it.

What I heard on TV was they called it for touching the players ankle which is an old rule.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
An average WAR player is around a 2. Castro has been average or above 4 out of 6 years. He is a 3 time all star and he is just getting to his prime. They aren't going to be "many" better second baseman than him. For instance, Ben Zobrist WAR was 2.1 last year. By your assertion, the Cubs should be looking for a better second baseman.

Zobrist produced 12.6 WAR over the past three years. Castro produced 3.7. Zobrist is an objectively superior player to Castro; it isn't up for debate. Add on to that the fact that Zobrist projects to help the rest Cubs lineup much more because of his patient profile as a hitter, whereas Castro projects to be the same swing-happy groundball hitter who still manages to strike out 100 times per year he's always been. Are the merits of this move really still up for debate around here?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zobrist produced 12.6 WAR over the past three years. Castro produced 3.7. Zobrist is an objectively superior player to Castro; it isn't up for debate. Add on to that the fact that Zobrist projects to help the rest Cubs lineup much more because of his patient profile as a hitter, whereas Castro projects to be the same swing-happy groundball hitter who still manages to strike out 100 times per year he's always been. Are the merits of this move really still up for debate around here?

Yes and Zobrist is 34 with 45 million dollar contract. Zobrist is very much the player last year than he was 3 years ago. Also, no one has ripped this move. You came in guns a blazing. The Yankees got a cheap 3 time all star that can hit. We got a swingman. Let's see how it turns out. Castro was a top 3 hitting SS two years ago. Stop acting like he is just this ground all hitter. Lulz also, I said he didn't fit Theo's vision of a player. I'm not sure where you disagree with this but you are trying your hardest

Walker

Liked Posts:
There are two certainties to the 2016 season: The SD Padres will never score another run, and Rizzo will get thirty 30 by August

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro goes big fly for the Yanks again.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trevor Story has 6 homers in 4 games